Film scores / soundtracks

Chris B

• Paid Members

I listen to a lot of soundtracks - more than bands or singers, to be honest. Part of the reason is that I work in content/copywriting, and write in my spare time, so things with lyrics can get a bit in the way. 

Just been listening to Bernard Herrmann's score for Psycho (Amazon Music) while working, and it's just gorgeous. Obviously, we all remember the main theme, but the rest of the score is all building strings and just marvelously slow and sinister. I haven't listened to it properly before, and it's really worth the time.

I like horror scores a lot. I recommend Trunk Records, as they have some gorgeous obscurities in there. Their newsletter isn't soundtrack-specific, but it's one of the few ones I read as soon as I get it. They had a 50p selection for MP3 downloads a while ago, and there are a few gems in there. Particularly Blood on Satan's Claw, which is a fantastic one. Proper old folk-horror stuff, but very different to anything else I've heard. The Tubby Hayes Voodoo Session is good too - a small jazz album, but it's the music that's used in one of the sections of Dr Terror's House of Horrors. Really great stuff and well worth 50p.

https://trunkrecords.greedbag.com/dept/~50p-halloween/

What would you recommend?

• Paid Members

I'm particularly fond of horror scores. I work nights and have to do patrols over the grounds. Nothing better than putting Suspiria or Halloween on as I walk round in the deep fog, lit up by flood lights and sinister shadows.

The Good The Bad and The Ugly gets a fair bit of rotation as well.

• Paid Members

All excellent choices, @DEF. I'm a big Morricone fan - I went to see him at the O2 a couple of years ago, and the grand finale was Ecstasy of Gold from TGTBATU. It's only recently I've realised Adam Page's music is aspiring to that a little bit. At some big event, I'd love him to lean into it and use the real version as his entrance music. It'd be amazing.

For anyone who doesn't know the tune we're talking about:

In the meantime, Halloween and Suspiria are both brilliant. Although The Fog might be my favourite Carpenter soundtrack. Carpenter's started touring over the last few years, and has come over to the UK twice. It's mainly to get his son over, I think, but they're really fun gigs. Goblin have also done live performances of Suspiria, with the film playing in the background. That was quite a niche gig to go to, but it was a lot of fun.

I liked the Suspiria remake soundtrack a lot too, as different as it was. Some really nice stuff on there.

For modern stuff, my boy Clint Mansell is where it’s at, and the sadly no longer with us Johann Johannsson. His work on Sicario is in my opinion one of the most influential works in recent times. It seems like everywhere uses that sustained note that slowly drops an octave that he did so brilliantly. 

Mogwai’s work on Les Revenants is superb as well, like all great soundtracks it added so much without overpowering or detracting. 

• Paid Members

@gmoney mentioned Dirty Harry and you can never go wrong with Lalo Schifrin. Superb playlist here of many of his best film pieces, starting with an awesome Bullitt piece.

@Keith Houchen mentioned Johann Johansson. It's amazing how influential his Sicario work is, in the last few years I've already heard numerous rip-offs of his work on that film. Both me and @Scott Malbranque have spoken on here a few times about the effect that soundtrack had on us when we caught Sicario at the cinema, it still reverberates round my bonce to this day.

50 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Mogwai’s work on Les Revenants is superb as well, like all great soundtracks it added so much without overpowering or detracting. 

Great shout. A beautiful score for a cracking show.

Another good modern example is Aesop Rocks soundtrack for Bushwick.

One of my favourite producers ever anyway, but it fits around the film so well, instead of just being there for the sake of it.

So of my favourites:

Basically, anything by Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross. Especially The Social Network.

Mica Levi - Under The Skin

Explosions In The Sky - Friday Night Lights

65daysofstatic's infinite soundtrack to the game No Man's Sky, as well as their re-score of Silent Running

Andy Hull & Robert McDowell (from the band Manchester Orchestra) - Swiss Army Man

Johann Johannsson - Arrival

All of Oscar Isaac's songs on Inside Llewyn Davis

One of my all time favourites is the massively underrated and hugely inventive score for the TV show, Utopia

3 hours ago, DEF said:

I'm particularly fond of horror scores. I work nights and have to do patrols over the grounds. Nothing better than putting Suspiria or Halloween on as I walk round in the deep fog, lit up by flood lights and sinister shadows.

The Good The Bad and The Ugly gets a fair bit of rotation as well.

This sounds utterly horrifying, you bloody wrong'un. 

The scores from the LOTR trilogies are fantastic.  

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

This sounds utterly horrifying, you bloody wrong'un. 

The scores from the LOTR trilogies are fantastic.  

It's an acquired taste. Also Tubular Bells will shit you right up in the middle of nowhere 3am with the right fog and lighting. It's great fun.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, DEF said:

It's an acquired taste. Also Tubular Bells will shit you right up in the middle of nowhere 3am with the right fog and lighting. It's great fun.

Recommend adding the Les Revenants soundtrack as per @Keith Houchen too - great for atmosphere.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is also gorgeously atmospheric.