Feel Good Wrestling

The Reverend

Although I’m not usually one for being a pessimist, I know recent events in the wrestling world have seen many wanting to switch off for good. Combined with the pandemic that has obliterated so much in the entertainment industry, I can sort of understand why there has been this reaction. But – wrestling has given us all a lot of happiness over the years, so with that in mind let’s have a look at the good for a change, and list what has made us so happy.

Being back in my hometown due to the pandemic and being on furlough, has meant that rather than I’ve taken up the daily challenge of walking at least 10km. Pretty easy with the lovely weather. As I’ve been making my way around my small town, I’ve gone past loads of places that I haven’t in absolute years. it’s taken me right back to my childhood days. The newsagent where I would spunk my pocket money (and lunch money sometimes) on WWF stickers and a huge amount of wrestling mags (remember the days when there seemed to be about 15 different types on the shelves?), the parks where I’d cycle to meet my mates for a kick-about and the exchanging of Silvervision videos. There seemed to be an endless supply of them (Supertape, Wrestlefest, High Flyers etc.etc.) and the PPV’s which I would franticly try and get my hands on to say I’d seen every Wrestlemania, Summerslam etc. I remember trying to get my hands on the Royal Rumble 90, which no-one seemed to have. It’s a long way from everything being available so easily on the Network. Although going down the park was only after I’d caught the edited to shreds version of WCW Worldwide on ITV. It’s also taken me past where Woolworths once stood, where I’d gaze at the racks of Hasbro figures deciding which one I was going to purchase (a major choice when you could only afford about one a month!) and above all the carefree summer months of 1992 when wrestling was the biggest thing in the country, when seemingly every media outlet featured it, there was merchandise everywhere, we were all super-excited for Summerslam in London – and wrestling was literally all I cared about.

Although I had been a fan for about three years previous, 1992 was when I really fell in love with wrestling. Barring a couple of dips here and there (hello pubs and girls) it’s been a love of mine for 30+ years and I think it always will be. So – what has been your happiest, and fondest, memory of wrestling?

Edited by The Reverend

• Paid Members

Not exactly what you were asking for - so apologies - but this seemed as good a place as any to put this. At a time when I’ve got fuck all interest in watching any pro-wrestling, with everything everywhere feeling like a scummy, disgusting dumpster fire, the return of Rusev to Lana’s Instagram made me smile this morning. 

I guess they no longer have to adhere to the storyline anymore, so Rusev’s daft face can return. I love him.

• Paid Members

I watched 20 minutes of Rusev getting adjusted by a chiropractor on YouTube this morning. Cos he's such a loveable bastard. The shaved head looks great on him too.

Edited by Statto
Should provide a link I guess.

37 minutes ago, The Reverend said:

So – what has been your happiest, and fondest, memory of wrestling?

Anytime I've been lucky to go to a live event really.

My first one was with my parents during the UK Rampage Tour - maybe 1992? To this day I still have the photos we took. It's crazy to look and see how many legends I saw, and how many aren't with us anymore.

I don't get to go too often but it's always just such a buzz going and being surrounded by likeminded people and seeing your 'heroes' in front of you in the fresh. Some of my highlights include the Cena/Michaels match in London, and The Shield with Undertaker. In fact that last one might be the last time I even went.

Even the WWA shows that I went to, which were basically WCW-lite with a few other faces, managed to have some great names. I met Bret Hart in the interval one time and he kept refusing to leave even though security wanted him to. Such a nice guy to the fans anyway. Meant a lot.

And the Impact shows I went to that had meet and greets with people like Angle and Hogan. Just fucking bizarre having that mixture of talent together. Even when I had the chance to go to some of the tapings in Orlando, it was so weird seeing Foley, Chyna, Flair etc. But a genuine blast.

More recently I took the opportunity to go to the NJPW show in London last year. I'd followed them on and off over the years, mostly because I struggle to keep up with that much wrestling, but I'd gone out of my way to watch it quite heavily in the months leading up to it. The intensity and sheer joy in that room was something really special.

So yeah this ended up being a bit long winded sorry but in short - the buzz of being there is like no other for me.

I know how much this place loves Andre so I uploaded a match that I think you would all enjoy. It's Andre doing a comedy match. It's quite short, but it's the kind of match that will leave you with a massive grin on your face by the time the match has ended. The definition of 'feel good wrestling'. 

Edited by pitseleh

Meeting Tiger Mask at the Altrincham NJPW show always makes me smile. It wasn't long after that year's Best of Super Juniors when upon seeing Tiger Mask my little girl decided she wanted to watch New Japan with Daddy.

It was a lovely few weeks so I took the moment to thank him for that. About 30 seconds into my gushing thank you it became apparent that Tiger Mask's English is probably best described as rudimentary and he couldn't understand word one of what I was saying, but I'd commited to it so I finished my speech, much to the bemusement of this middle aged gentleman in a strange place. All this takes place in a weird English/Japanese politeness tsunami that results in me locked in a seemingly endless handshake with a wrestling legend like a culturally reversed Mr Shakey Hands Man.

The whole thing is alternately cringingly embarrassing and super wholesome, but I'll always love Tiger Mask now, both for being so sound and for giving me that lovely spring time of watching Junior Heavy wrestling with my daughter.

• Paid Members

Its not just the wrestling for me but the people you're able to share it with.

While I got into wrestling for the same reason as everyone else (the early 90's craze), it was my taid (grandfather) who kept me watching. He was a fan from the World of Sport days and was a bit gutted when it got taken off the air. 

So when I started bringing back these tapes to watch at my grandparents' house a mile down the road, although I'm sure it wasn't the same for him, he seriously got into the American and mainly WWF stuff. They didn't have Sky but more often than not I'd end up taping shows at home and watch them with him there as I just enjoyed having someone to watch them with (other than my Dad who would gladly point out every fake or choreographed spot thinking I'd stop watching this shit if he did it often enough.)

The funniest thing was that he genuinely thought that wrestling was a shoot. I can't tell you how much more fun that makes watching a show as a child and young teen.

So yeah, you can count pretty much every PPV from 1993 to 2001 in some way, shape or form, and countless other Silver Vision tapes I managed to buy or borrow from the 1980's

I often wonder if my (obviously unfair) "Everything was great pre-2001 and everything was shite afterwards"attitude isn't at least partially down to his death in mid-2001, as much as me heading off to University the following year and getting out of the habit of watching for much of the "Ruthess Aggresion" era which doesn't really hold much nostalgia for me as a result.

But in terms of actual feelgood moments, and I know he's somewhat tainted now, but its hard not to like the Hogan/Sting match from Bound for Glory. You could see it coming a mile off, but who cares?

• Paid Members

I think that I referenced this a few months ago and it's already been alluded to it here but the camaraderie is it for me. Moments are only moments if they are shared with others and wrestling fans, for better or worse, are a really special breed of friend. We just "get" it. 

Wrestlemania 21. Three or four grown (well 22-25 year olds) men. Poker. Bourbon. Wrestling.

Eugene is getting annihilated by Hassan and 'Real American' hits. Now. At 0230 in the morning in a quiet cul-de-sac we were heard screaming about three towns away. 

Parents come racing downstairs absolutely raging and we find ourselves still hugging one another in absolute joy. A few years were genuinely shed. None of us were particularly big Hogan marks, it wasn't the greatest Wrestlemania ever but if I ever try and describe wrestling and the feel good factor to others that is the moment.

No matter what happens in my life for whatever reason that lives long in the memory. Glorious.