VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I also see that Alex Jones plays a senator in it. It doesn't even look like it would be a fun watch in an ironic way.

yeah, his face is one of the first things you see. 

It was just too on the nose to be ironic, which is the case with a lot of conservative American movies - the plot is paper-thin, because all they're really interested in is beating you over the head with their politics in every single moment, because none of them understand subtext, everything has to be spelled out as loud as possible. It's a genre that's funny in isolated clips, but alternately depressing and angering to watch the whole thing, because you're reminded that the people who made it believe everything they're saying, and that there's thousands of people out there who agree with them. Whereas with most bad films, it's endearing to think that the director thought they were doing something worthwhile as art, it's depressing when what they're doing is making a disjointed political statement pulled from mashed up InfoWars headlines.

They're also just bad filmmakers. After the EMP, the entire collapse of American society seems to take place in the space of about five or six hours. There's suddenly axe-wielding masked thugs running around menacing the campus where the politician's daughter lives - somebody in our group chat watching it asked why, and someone else answered "because they've seen The Purge", which is probably true, but my assumption was that they realised their villains were all shady politicians and businessmen and couldn't figure out a way to make them a threat when the only way they could think to raise stakes and resolve tension was to wave some guns around, so they had to introduce some generic thugs at the halfway point.

The only thing I would give it any credit for is that I was pleasantly surprised that none of the villains were explicitly ethnic minorities or LGBTQ+. I said while watching it that it's a good thing the film was made before the pandemic, because this movie with the added logic and visual language of lockdown would have been ten times worse, and if it were made today it would be post-Black Lives Matter, and in the midst of the trans panic, and would be a much more explicitly hateful movie than it was. As it stands, most of the patsies for the UN are presented as well-meaning white liberals who are just misguided and need a good strong American man to show them the light, whereas a 2024 version of this movie would throw in Antifa, race riots, mask mandates and drag queens corrupting children, you could almost guarantee it.

Posted (edited)

Went to see The Fall Guy at the cinema yesterday. What a cracking way to spend a couple of hours. Ryan Gosling has grown on me so much these last few years, mainly since The Nice Guys, and he's so great in this with Hannah Waddingham playing an absolute bellend in a close second.
I think it was Devon that said what a love letter it was to stunt work and it really is, there's so many fabulous set pieces but even the little stunts are done really lovingly, there's little practical effects and stunts littered through the whole film and I don't think I stopped smiling the whole time. I really want to watch it again incase I missed anything.

Watched Cliffhanger this morning whilst working. Is there a more stressful opening scene than that one? I've probably seen it 20 times and it still makes me feel sick. Lithgow is such an underrated villain but Craig Fairbrass is the MVP for providing his own commentary whilst kicking Michael Rooker's head in.

Edited by cobra_gordo

Right sorry if this is the wrong thread but I don't think there is a "what movie am I thinking of" thread so I'm using this. 

I can remember a shite 80s anthology horror I watched with my gran years ago but can't get it's name. I may be misremembering things in the plot. I think the theme was maybe werewolves and it was maybe set in a girl's dreams. On particularly scene had the girl being chatting to/ groomed by a pedophile vampire/ werewolf (can't remember which). It may have been Red Riding Hood influenced. I think the ending had her waking from a dream and a bunch of wolves running through her bedroom window. I actually have no interest in seeing it again it's just bugging me I can't get the name and seemed to have imagined it. I'd ask my gran if she remembers it but can't on the basis she's dead. 

Anyone know what movie I'm on about?

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, LEGIT said:

Anyone know what movie I'm on about?

Deadtime Stories has a Red Riding Hood/werewolf bit in it, but I'm not sure the rest fits. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Deadtime Stories has a Red Riding Hood/werewolf bit in it, but I'm not sure the rest fits. 

2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

That's Twilight mate.

Just got it, it's neither of those but thanks guys. It's called The Company Of Wolves. May have miss remembered plot details. It was quite shite if I remember right.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Company_of_Wolves

Edited by LEGIT

• Paid Members

I think on a first watch I enjoyed Furiosa more than Fury Road. And I know Fury Road is probably a better film visually but I enjoyed the slower pace and story being told in this, 2 issues I had with Fury Road. ATJ is as fantastic as always and Chris Hemsworth is chewing through what scenery there is. Go see it on the biggest and loudest screen you can. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

Watched Cliffhanger this morning whilst working. Is there a more stressful opening scene than that one?

Definitely one for the "Absolutely cracking opening but mediocre otherwise" list. Not sure what else would be on that list.

• Paid Members

Swordfish always springs to mind. Unfortunately the slow motion explosion doesn’t look as good now as it did 23 years ago, but it’s still comfortably the best thing in the movie for me and stuck with me as a very memorable opening.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

Went to see The Fall Guy at the cinema yesterday. What a cracking way to spend a couple of hours. Ryan Gosling has grown on me so much these last few years, mainly since The Nice Guys, and he's so great in this with Hannah Waddingham playing an absolute bellend in a close second.
I think it was Devon that said what a love letter it was to stunt work and it really is, there's so many fabulous set pieces but even the little stunts are done really lovingly, there's little practical effects and stunts littered through the whole film and I don't think I stopped smiling the whole time. I really want to watch it again incase I missed anything.

Sadly, and inexplicably, it's been a huge financial flop and they've already put it out for streaming so just look on the usual places for another viewing. We didn't learn anything from The Nice Guys.

Furiosa (cinema)

Expecting it to be as good as Fury Road would be unfair. Fury Road is one of the greatest films of all time. So instead it takes one for the team - strengthens the story behind Fury Road and gives Furiosa the same in-depth backstory that Max had. So it's lighter on action, which is still extraordinary when it comes along, but heavier on a really well-woven story and characterisation. The casting is even better than Fury Road (Tom Burke is a revelation) and I thought it was fantastic, and maybe even slightly brave on George Miller's part to slow things down a bit.

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (cinema)

It isn't as good as the previous three - it's too long and forgets that the apes were always the only interesting characters (except maybe Woody Harrelson in War) in those films, and the ape effects weren't as seamless. Still enjoyable though but time will tell whether it was a mistake to leave the Caesar era characters in the past.

Atlas (Netflix)

Watching Netflix's new terrible original right after Furiosa is a choice. Really, really bad and stunningly idiotic on the subject of A.I. and it's an all-time awful performance from J-Lo. A good day to bury a bad film.

Our lad Nathan Jones gets another run as a the big intimidating bastard in Furiosa, booking him like that though?

A super enjoyable popcorn CGI-fest there, I really appreciated the pace and giving real time to build not just the lead but others too. It was slickly done without the film ever feeling stop-start. Tom Burke could be an excellent Solid Snake, couldn't he?