VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It's bittersweet, but more of the latter than the former. It's one of this country's greatest ever films, it's wonderful. Powell and Pressburger's run of films from The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp to The Small Back Room is unmatched in history, you should watch them all. Especially The Red Shoes.

Sold! Thank you, I’ll put that on tonight

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, waters44 said:

I’ve been going over to my Mum’s once a week for film club with her and my sister and I’m tempted to try out A Matter of Life and Death tonight as I hear it’s so good. For anyone who’s seen it, no spoilers please, but is it sad and going to make us all cry? Our life is a bit stressful atm and I don’t think they would appreciate it if I add to their heartbreak! 

I'll second Devon here. Saw A Matter Of Life and Death for the first time about a year ago and it instantly became one of my favourite ever films. It's gorgeous. It won't make you sad, but depending on your mindset you might get a bit emotional at the end - but in a good way.

• Paid Members

Thank you @HarmonicGenerator and @Devon Malcolm we will watch it together tonight! I’ve also just read D-Mals Letterboxd review which has got me really looking forward to it now

I just checked iPlayer to see if it was on there, fuck me there’s loads of old stuff on there! One of them was Life and Death of Colonel Blimp which is one mentioned earlier so will add that to the queue! 

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, waters44 said:

Thank you @HarmonicGenerator and @Devon Malcolm we will watch it together tonight! I’ve also just read D-Mals Letterboxd review which has got me really looking forward to it now

I just checked iPlayer to see if it was on there, fuck me there’s loads of old stuff on there! One of them was Life and Death of Colonel Blimp which is one mentioned earlier so will add that to the queue! 

TCM and Talking Pictures TV occasionally have the odd P&P film in their schedule, too, but they're also easily found online if you can't find any of their most notables.

Can’t really add anything but The Red Shoes is possibly the best film to come from the UK. 
I watched a couple of Jay Roach films. Bombshell was decent enough with John Lithgow being ace. Dinner For Schmucks was quite horrible. Steve Carell started off brilliantly, he is a great actor, but then it went all whacky and zany and was pretty mean spirited and nasty. Didn’t like it at all. 

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Dinner For Schmucks was quite horrible. Steve Carell started off brilliantly, he is a great actor, but then it went all whacky and zany and was pretty mean spirited and nasty. Didn’t like it at all. 

Fully agree. Other then giving us that Zach Galifanakis laugh meme, the film wasted a really good cast, aside from David Walliams. Found it a real let down

Spoiler

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, waters44 said:

Your post led me to iPlayer to watch The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp this afternoon. That one's also bloody good, epic and intimate at the same time, and Roger Livesey is absolutely outstanding. The emotion of that one snuck up on me throughout the running time, but it gives you an incredible poignant ending. I prefer A Matter of Life and Death but Blimp is well worth a watch too if you've got the time.

The one thing I could have done without in it was

Spoiler

why did he have to be a trophy hunter? I know that thematically it works perfectly as a man who can't do anything but soldiering, having nothing better to do between wars than go round killing things. I know that as a larger metaphor it's a perfect example of Britain's (well, England's) entitled ownership-of-the-world-and-everything-in-it complex of the early 20th century. I know that historically speaking, of course a VC winning general would love shooting rare animals. In short, I fully understand its inclusion in the film. But I hate it. I hate it, so much, and it took most of the rest of the film for me to be able to sympathise with him as a character again.

(I really struggle with Bringing Up Baby for similar reasons.)

The Red Shoes is on iPlayer at the moment as well.

• Paid Members

So... A Matter of Life and Death is pretty good isn’t it? I really enjoyed it and I can certainly see how people watch it over and over again. It’s timeless. It was interesting talking to my family about it afterwards as we all got something slightly different out of it. 

I was buzzing when I got home so put on a film I recorded ages ago which was John Carpenter’s Village of the Dammed. A few highs but mainly below average to be honest and calmed me down after the elation of earlier. It did send me down a Christopher Reeve rabbit hole however, and came across this which put a smile on my face 

535CE45C-06FD-4EED-8E69-B1F040F1CE9E.jpeg

• Paid Members

Enola Holmes (Netflix)

I really hate the character Sherlock Holmes so any story that takes away the focus from him was more likely to work with me. Can't put my finger on why I liked this so much, probably mostly to do with Millie Bobby Brown being so good in the lead. Henry Cavill plays a more likeable version of Sherlock and there's a Frances de la Tour appearance. Really decent.

Downtown (Prime rental)

A Forest Whitaker / Anthony Edwards buddy cop film, anyone? Doesn't really work as neither of them are especially funny but Joey Pants plays a superb villain and Art Evans swears a lot and called Edwards a "bubble fuck". Also, Penelope Ann Miller ❤️

Missing (nefarious means)

Early 80s political drama about the 1973 Chilean coup. Jack Lemmon and Sissy Spacek are great as ever, but it doesn't really dig deep enough into the politics and American involvement. Worth it for the acting.

Blue Streak (Netflix)

Martin Lawrence just annoys me so I don't know why I watched this. He plays Martin Lawrence, Luke Wilson plays an idiot, neither of them are very funny although the action's pretty good and Dave Chappelle gets all the laughs that are here.

I went to see Blue Streak at the cinema during that time in my life where I was only just allowed to see films On my own at the Cinema. Unfortunately other films in this collection were Man in the Iron Mask, The Preachers Wife and Rules of Engagement (might actually be good but not what a teenage Danger was looking for from a Samuel L. Jackson war film).

Needless to say I never felt the need to rewatch Blue Streak.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

The best Holmes was Daniel Davis, I’m sure you’ll agree. 

Considering he played Moriarty, not really.

To offer more than sarcasm, the best Sherlock Holmes on film is Basil Rathbone, Peter Cushing or Robert Stephens.

Edited by Chris B

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Considering he played Moriarty, not really.

To offer more than sarcasm, the best Sherlock Holmes on film is Basil Rathbone, Peter Cushing or Robert Stephens.

I hate them all. And the Sherlock Holmes / Moriarty episodes were always the worst Star Trek episodes. Shercock Holmes, more like. Morifarty, more like. And so on.