VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

American Wedding (2003)

Where was Oz? One of Jim’s best friends not a groomsman, not at the wedding and not even mentioned? The film, which follows Jim’s proposal upto the nuptuals, still has some funny moments but I’m glad they did the Reunion as this would’ve been a damp squib to end things on.

My favourite thing about the third one is that Kevin (by far the worst character) is given absolutely nothing to do in this film whatsoever so is just randomly standing around doing fuck all in every scene he's in. 

• Awards Moderator
10 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

They're not long enough IMO.

There are still some scenes that were filmed and more or less finished not yet released. I'm holding out for a 15 hour 30th anniversary incredicut you can beam direct into your brain.

@FelatioLipssounds like you're watching the Extendeds. Perhaps watch the theatrical edits?

I just watched and quite liked Fincher's The Killer, but I imagine there will be a bunch of nobs getting it wrong and making Fassbender's character their entire personalities. If anything is truly wrong with the film it's that it makes me want to listen to The Smiths, Trent and Atticus' parts of the score are excellent though with one part going way back to the Quake soundtrack.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

There are still some scenes that were filmed and more or less finished not yet released. I'm holding out for a 15 hour 30th anniversary incredicut you can beam direct into your brain.

@FelatioLipssounds like you're watching the Extendeds. Perhaps watch the theatrical edits?

No no the film was great and we knew fine well we had the extended one. Just expressing how long the film was!

We’ll likely watch the sequels extended too.

• Paid Members

Assassin Club

Absolutely shite actioner. Henry Golding ain't it, you can keep casting him all you want but he has nothing to offer aside from being pretty. Noomi Rapace innocent, as always. In fact, she should have been the lead and this might have been respectable.

Cobweb

Cobblers, more like. Lizzy Caplan, I love you, but what the fuck were you playing at here.

The Passenger (2023)

Really smart little thriller with a superb Kyle Gallner performance. The sort of thing that never gets a chance at the cinema anymore - a low budget, fun suspense film that you can't go much wrong with.

Sanctuary (2022)

Wanktuary, more like. Margaret Qualley and Christopher Abbott do their best with this tedious power play 'erotic' BDSM drama but they're fighting a losing battle. Abbott needs a new agent.

The Mill (2023)

Nice to see Lil Rey Howery get a lead role but this is a really shit use of his abilities. One of those gimmick thrillers that sounds fun as an idea but the execution is usually terrible.

The Integrity of Joseph Chambers

Really well played drama about a guy who goes off to do a bit of hunting by himself and it goes badly wrong. Clayne Crawford is excellent in the lead and he previous teamed with director Robert Machoian for The Killing of Two Lovers, which was even better than this. Both highly recommended.

Scrapper

Nice to see a rare British film that doesn't make out the working class and people who live on council estates as being the worst people alive. Very funny and sweet but serious when it needs to be.

You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah (Netflix)

Nice and enjoyable coming-of-age comedy. I think Adam Sandler's in his golden period now, this Netflix deal has actually brought the best out of him, unexpectedly. Features UKFF fave Luis Guzman!

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One

With all due respect to the rest of cinema history, but there's never been cooler moment than when Rebecca Ferguson puts on her eyepatch.

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah (Netflix)

Nice and enjoyable coming-of-age comedy. I think Adam Sandler's in his golden period now, this Netflix deal has actually brought the best out of him, unexpectedly. Features UKFF fave Luis Guzman!

So Luis Guzman on one hand and Sandler on the other. What's a man to do? 

• Paid Members
Just now, WeeAl said:

So Luis Guzman on one hand and Sandler on the other. What's a man to do? 

Sandler's only in support in this one and Guzman only gets a small-ish role, but a very funny one.

This doesn't help at all, does it.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Sandler's only in support in this one and Guzman only gets a small-ish role, but a very funny one.

This doesn't help at all, does it.

Not a bit D-Mal. So I stuck on 'The Burial' with Tommy Lee Jones and Jamie Foxx, that's playing on Prime. Haven't heard a thing about it, for better or worse, so we'll see how it goes. 

• Paid Members

Watched The Station Agent. I fucking adored this. If every film felt like this one, I'd give up my job like @SuperBacon and watch films all day. I'm not skilled enough to explain why but I was just completely gripped throughout. Three brilliant characters, two flawed and broken, making magic together by just eating, talking and watching trains. 

I'd forgotten how much I loved Michelle Williams around 2000. She was stunning. Lovely to see her again.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Watched The Station Agent. I fucking adored this. If every film felt like this one, I'd give up my job like @SuperBacon and watch films all day. I'm not skilled enough to explain why but I was just completely gripped throughout. Three brilliant characters, two flawed and broken, making magic together by just eating, talking and watching trains. 

I'd forgotten how much I loved Michelle Williams around 2000. She was stunning. Lovely to see her again.

Michelle Williams is still doing great work today. She was recently in a film called Showing Up, which was similarly as gentle and relaxing as The Station Agent, if not quite as good.