VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Bottoms (cinema)

Simutaneously an excellent satire of high school comedies and a very funny one in its own right. Just absolutely fucking goes for it with how weird and daft and funny it is and it works. Marshawn Lynch is in it and the best thing in it, too. What?!

Joy Ride (2023)

Also very funny, and I wish I'd seen it at the cinema. Features the funniest masturbation scene I've seen maybe ever and an actual funny drugs scene, which is a miracle in itself. Ashley Park tho.

The Mother (2023) (Netflix)

J-Lo as a sharp-shooter former black ops assassin protecting her 12yo daughter from.... Joseph Fiennes. Sure, ok. First hour's actually really enjoyable and J-Lo is pretty good but it's half an hour too long.

Magic Mike's Last Dance

Weakest of the series but still really enjoyable. Only a cameo for Big Sexy this time, I'm afraid, but the scene on the bus makes up for it and then some.

Hypnotic

Robert Rodriguez is pretty crap, let's be honest, and he makes a mess of what should have been a daft enjoyable action-thriller by trying to Inception it. Ben Affleck barely wakes up for the whole film, poor git.

What’s Love Got to Do with It?

I find that romantic comedies should attempt to be funny. Which this never does, except when Emma Thompson's arseing around with her dog. I don't think I've ever seen Lily James in anything good but I guess it's nice to see her outside of those fucking Sky Mobile ads.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Joy Ride (2023)

Also very funny, and I wish I'd seen it at the cinema. 

I saw a screen unseen preview of this where no one in the sold out cinema knew what the movie was going to be until it started, it won us all over quickly and everyone was pissing themselves the whole time, it was a great atmosphere. I really enjoyed it too and thought about it a lot since. The cast were perfect, I don't think anyone could have been better as the lead.

Massive spoiler below, don't read if you're gonna ever watch it 

Spoiler

The twist about her really being Korean was one of my favourite jokes of the year, I can't get over how perfect a joke/twist it was for the film.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Hide contents

The twist about her really being Korean was one of my favourite jokes of the year, I can't get over how perfect a joke/twist it was for the film.

Spoiler

Pissed myself at the Chinese family saying "At least she's not Japanese!"

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Bottoms (cinema)

Simutaneously an excellent satire of high school comedies and a very funny one in its own right. Just absolutely fucking goes for it with how weird and daft and funny it is and it works. Marshawn Lynch is in it and the best thing in it, too. What?!

Joy Ride (2023)

Also very funny, and I wish I'd seen it at the cinema. Features the funniest masturbation scene I've seen maybe ever and an actual funny drugs scene, which is a miracle in itself. Ashley Park tho.

Only lasted half of Joy Ride. They were abandoned on the road somewhere when we gave up. Not sure if I just didn't like it because my missus hated it and was moaning throughout. Also really interested in seeing Bottoms so will check both out on your recommendation. No pressure, Dev, it's only a well-earned reputation at stake. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Only lasted half of Joy Ride. They were abandoned on the road somewhere when we gave up. Not sure if I just didn't like it because my missus hated it and was moaning throughout. Also really interested in seeing Bottoms so will check both out on your recommendation. No pressure, Dev, it's only a well-earned reputation at stake. 

If you didn't like Joy Ride, you won't like Bottoms. Maybe something by Ingmar Bergman might tickle your funny bones more?

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I also thought Joy Ride was great. Not seen Bottoms yet, but it was the funniest film I’ve seen this year, so far.

• Paid Members

Bottoms was the movie of choice from my housemate with notoriously bad taste on a recent movie night (previous clangers include The Voyeurs, and Fall) so I was dreading it, but it won me over almost immediately. Devon's write-up is spot on, it just knows what it is and goes as far with that as it can without any of the self-conscious winks at the camera that tank a lot of other modern comedies. Marshawn Lynch's 'female solidarity' bit still has me cracking up now.

• Paid Members

I'm once again on a bit of a kaiju kick, and found the American dub of the original Godzilla (Godzilla The King Of The Monster) on PBS's website as part of a Lakeshore Classic Movies.  collection. Raymond Burr from off of out of Perry Mason & Ironside plays a journalist called Steve Martin (he doesn't play the banjo) who just happens to be stopping off in Tokyo to see a friend while he's on his way to Milan when the events of the 1954 Godzilla happen. It does a good job of adapting and explaining the movie to international audiences at the time, but obviously pales next to the proper movie, it's also about half an hour shorter.

Also on the same website/service is the 1968 dub of Destroy All Monsters. The cracks in the budget of the original are showing with some very janky looking effects, and the dubbing is even worse. The series was really on its last legs by this point, but loads of monsters turn up. Aliens (the Kilaak) manage to transmit mind control rays to Monster Island where Godzilla and all his monster chums are living and minding their own business which drives them insane and sends them rampaging around the world. As well as Godzilla we get Anguirus, Rodan, Mothra, Gorosaurus, Manda, Kumonga, Minilla, Varan, Baragon, and the biggest, baddest Kaiju of them all: King Ghidorah as the final boss.

If you like a bit of campy fun with lads in rubber suits stomping around cardboard cities it's a decent 90 minutes of entertainment. I'd probably recommend trying to find the originals, though. Definitely the original Godzilla and Godzilla Raids Again, and some from the rebooted series in the 80s and 90s as well, but some of the other 60s and 70s ones can get very silly. I'd also recommend giving the Gamera movies a look on Amazon Prime. I think I'm just trying to get myself hyped for Gojira -1 next month. Hopefully it's playing somewhere near me.

• Paid Members

The Warriors

Love this film. It’s just oozing with this weird charisma all the way through. While the Warriors are real good (the best) it’s the supporting cast that really shines, especially David Patrick Kelly as the intense and psychotic Luther. 
You could have a field day with the People who are pleasing to look at thread with this.

Great atmosphere, quotable lines, banging soundtrack and just a real coolness all the way through. Only issue is the version I have has all the directors cut comic book stuff which doesn’t really fit in with the film at all.

• Paid Members

Demolition Man

Great film. Funnier than I remember it being. Simon Phoenix in his dungarees is a blast.

Our version had every mention of Taco Bell (which was a lot) dubbed over with Pizza Hut, including signs and vehicles and the end credits. 

Is it better than Robocop? It’s much easier to watch for sure.

Edited by FelatioLips