VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Indeed'n it was, Rashers. Actually closer to 55 quid. Two tickets, nachos, popcorn and two drinks. 

And for the first five minutes I genuinely, truly thought I was watching some sort of pre-movie short or something, because the special effects were Albert Pyun Dollman level. 

The absolute state of last night. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

30 quid plus a fiver tip for a skin fade. 

Never have I been as delighted to be a baldy cunt. I'd need to be hemorrhaging money out me arsehole to keep up with that. 

• Paid Members

The First Slam Dunk over 2 hour long anime about basketball I saw at the cinema. It was a very classic by the numbers sports drama, although it was cool seeing that in cartoon form. Some of the basketball game (which takes up like 50% of the film) was really exciting and well done. 

• Paid Members

Managed to get some tickets for the London Film Festival this morning. Had a great time last year so looking forward to it. So far I have booked:

- Surprise film

- Gala screening: Killers of the Flower Moon (Scorsese)

- Gala screening: 
Poor Things (Emma Stone)

Going as press as well so hoping to see a lot more between work.

There is so much on so if you can go I recommend it as it's good fun and you can some interesting films you might not otherwise see, or ones you will definitely see on streaming.  https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/lff/Online/default.asp

• Paid Members

I watched The Matrix Resurrections last night on Amazon Prime. I really enjoyed it, but I am a big fan of all the Matrix films. I could see why people wouldn't enjoy it, but I thought it was well done. I'm pretty sure there won't be another given that it flopped at the cinema.

• Paid Members

Watched Locked Down yesterday. I hate when good actors pop up in bad films. It's 2/3 a thought-provoking social commentary on relationships during peak lockdown then transforms into a Poundland heist film through the virtue of ludicrous coincidences. Double frustrating for me because I watched another film recently with similar third-act schizophrenia and I can't remember what it was. At times it was really clever, at times it was funny, I wanted to enjoy it, but ultimately didn't. Although Merchant stole the show with his brief scenes, even if he was playing Darren Lamb with a different name, as he invariably does.

On 9/10/2023 at 1:37 PM, jazzygeofferz said:

I watched The Matrix Resurrections last night on Amazon Prime. I really enjoyed it, but I am a big fan of all the Matrix films. I could see why people wouldn't enjoy it, but I thought it was well done. I'm pretty sure there won't be another given that it flopped at the cinema.

I remember thinking it was quite funny and clever how it was done. Basically taking a potshot at the franchise in a lot of ways.

• Paid Members

Yeah, there were some funny little self-referential bits in there. I liked the bit where they tried to pass off the original matrix trilogy as a series of videogames, and prescribing all the blue pills etc. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Factotum said:

I remember thinking it was quite funny and clever how it was done. Basically taking a potshot at the franchise in a lot of ways.

26 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Yeah, there were some funny little self-referential bits in there. I liked the bit where they tried to pass off the original matrix trilogy as a series of videogames, and prescribing all the blue pills etc. 

I too was a big fan of the original trilogy despite their obvious flaws. Dialogue and acting in the third one especially, but I thought the bare bones of the stories were fine. I thought the idea of "the first film is about birth, the second about life and the third about death" was pretty cool.

With that said, I'm looking forward to getting round to watching the new one but I doubt there will be anything as hard-hitting yet subtle in a cool way as the bit in the trailer when Trinity says "Have we met?" and the look on Neo's face.

• Paid Members

I think there's a lot to like about Resurrections, especially reading its through the lens (rumoured or otherwise) that Lana Wachowski felt compelled to come back to this bcause if she didn't they'd have done it without her.

It definitely didn't hit as hard for me though, when I saw the originals I was barely a teen and all of this was new and exciting. Now I'm in my mid-30's and much more into cinema, apart from a couple of scenes it didn't wow me in the way I was hoping for. Maybe an unfair expectation but I didn't enjoy the action anywhere near as much as I have from directors like Takahashi Miike, Gareth Evans & Chad Stahelski