VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Have never been even slightly interested in watching this and every single moment of this justified that stance. Makes every single predictable decision you'd expect of a story like this. $300 million for a nice-looking three hour lesson in how to make the most middle of the road Hollywood film possible.

The Truman Show

I really have no excuse for not having seen this further considering how much I love Peter Weir. Almost flawless, Weir is one of the greatest genre-bending mainstream filmmakers of all time, an absolute master. Laura Linney steals it.

The Thin Red Line

Terrence Malick made one of the greatest war films that would ever have been made if it didn't have his usual cod philosophy bullshit in it. Take that out and it's an undoubted masterpiece. With it, it's still great but with regular eye-roll causing flashbacks and voiceovers. Why does he do that shit.

Rebel Without a Cause

Misleading title considering James Dean in this is not even slightly rebellious even by 1950s standards. Baffled by this one, but the ending's really good.

The Graduate

One of those films that you've seen even if you haven't seen it, but it's still worth seeing. If you know what I mean. Great takedown of rich white people boredom with one of the all-time great end shots, and with a whole load of laughs.

Now, Voyager

Bette Davis gets put in an asylum after her horrendous mum drives her insane in a masterclass of 1940s melodrama and acting. Absolutely superb with an unexpectedly upbeat ending considering it doesn't go where expected.

Red River

Some of the most interesting character work ever done on a John Wayne character is undone by a terrible final scene, but this is still a great old western adventure that has the bonus of Walter Brennan grumbling away in the background. I love that guy.

Only Angels Have Wings

A rare cynical Cary Grant character! He does have his icy heart melted by Jean Arthur though, and who can blame him. Ahh. Slight echoes of The Wages of Fear / Sorcerer, with some stunning flight and crash scenes for 1939, and Rita Hayworth pops in as a bonus. Good fun.

On the Hitchcock round-up front, Shadow of a Doubt still remains one of his under-appreciated true masterpieces with loads of dark humour packed in there too, and Lifeboat is one of the greatest examples of how to make so much out of a one location story.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Have never been even slightly interested in watching this and every single moment of this justified that stance. Makes every single predictable decision you'd expect of a story like this. $300 million for a nice-looking three hour lesson in how to make the most middle of the road Hollywood film possible.

The Truman Show

I really have no excuse for not having seen this further considering how much I love Peter Weir. Almost flawless, Weir is one of the greatest genre-bending mainstream filmmakers of all time, an absolute master. Laura Linney steals it.

Avatar was a unique cinema experience because 3D was new, Cameron designed it all to be seen in 3D. The film has no substance without it. It is the perfect Cinema film for experience but it’s just a boring film really. Can’t wait for the sequel in holographic 5D scent-o-vision.

The Truman Show came out a year before Man on the Moon. I’ve watched MotM more, but Truman show is a film which is beloved by those who’ve seen it, but seems to have been forgotten. Those two films demonstrated that other then his wacky comedy, Jim Carey was a great actor and I’ve always been disappointed that seems to be forgotten. Glad you enjoyed it.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Avatar was a unique cinema experience because 3D was new

No it wasn't?

I get that Avatar must have been visually something special on a big screen but it's amazing how quickly it became an utter irrelevance and how it's not left the slighest cultural footprint beyond its box office takings.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Yeah, new isn't the right term, but Avatar was definitely the catalyst for the rebirth/resurgence of 3D in the Digital 3D era.

Its legacy is widely felt in the upgrade of cinema tech, manufacturers falling over themselves to get 3D TV sets on the market, and everyone and their cat either filming for 3D release or running their films through conversion processes to give it a 3D release.  But that's more the film as a tech demo, rather than as a piece of art.  The film's pony whatever it's watched on it, although it looks shit hot in IMAX 3D.

Not especially. All the screens had already been fitted with 3D before Avatar. I saw loads of real 3D before it. Don't get me wrong the best aspect of Avatar is the 3D design but it didn't do anything that wasn't already being done by others. They just did it really well.

It's the least culturally significant succesful film by a country mile.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

No it wasn't?

I get that Avatar must have been visually something special on a big screen but it's amazing how quickly it became an utter irrelevance and how it's not left the slighest cultural footprint beyond its box office takings.

I completely agree. What I was trying to get at was people were raving about it having seen it at the cinema. But once it came to DVD etc it’s not left a legacy. I can’t believe 4 more films are currently being filmed/in post production. I think people care more about the theme park land in WDW then they do about the film. No one talks about it, yet it’s still the 2nd highest grossing film. I don’t get it.

@johnnyboyis spot on. In IMAX it’s probably the best film I’ve seen, visually. 

@DEFdefine loads. I remember seeing Coraline, Monster House, Chicken Little, Bolt, Meet The Robinson’s and Nightmare Before Christmas. Spy Kids 3, Journey to the centre of the Earth had 3D releases. But before Avatar you had to go to Leicester Square or a big city that may have had a 3D screen.  The hype from Cameron meant Cinemas rushed to upgrade their tech, and Avatar’s box office got studios to throw out really shit 3D auto conversations to make some extra dosh 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

OK fair enough but there were 30 films over the 3 years before it that did everything Avatar did. I mean yes none of those films did Avatar business but it wasn't unique to Avatar is what I mean. I guess you can argue that because Avatar was do successful every screen was fitted for 3D bit I genuinely think that would happened anyway.

I mean films were already being converted to 3D the year before it even.

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

@DEFdefine loads. I remember seeing Coraline, Monster House, Chicken Little, Bolt, Meet The Robinson’s and Nightmare Before Christmas. Spy Kids 3, Journey to the centre of the Earth had 3D releases. But before Avatar you had to go to Leicester Square or a big city that may have had a 3D screen.  The hype from Cameron meant Cinemas rushed to upgrade their tech, and Avatar’s box office got studios to throw out really shit 3D auto conversations to make some extra dosh 

Yeah I was being a tad hyperbolic I was referring to the 30ish that had been out before Avatar. Which considering the last 3d boom was the 80s and you didn't get any in between could be considered loads. By the time Avatar came out most Cinemas had at least one screen fitted with 3D. The 2 local to me had 2 each. 

Avatar was so shit, amazing that it comes from the same maker of Aliens, shares some themes and is so fucking cack. I get the spectacle argument but one of those Navi could have come out of the screen and fucked me with their ponytail the way they did their horses and I’d still have found it dull.

• Paid Members

Free Guy - Live action remake of The Lego Movie with Lego swapped out for video games. Ryan Reynolds almost ruins the film, the rest of the cast, especially Jody Comer are great. Not funny, bit was entertaining.

People Just Do Nothing: Big in Japan. If you like the show, you’ll like the big screen version. One of the better TV to film adaptations.

• Paid Members

Censor (cinema)

I liked this, but it maybe caught me in the wrong mood. It's a horror film set during the time of video nasties, with the main character of a woman working in the BBFC. I'd seen the basic plot description that someone is stalking her, but it's actually more of a 'is she having a breakdown and doing terrible things' story, and it just wasn't the week for that. It reminded me of both Berberian Sound Studio and Saint Maude, but not doing what either do as well. As an first feature, though, it's great work by Prano Bailey-Bond and Niamh Alger is great in it. Just chimed awkwardly with me, and not entirely the fault of the film.

The Hunter (Talking Pictures)

Odd little suspense(ish) film. It's a pretty by-the-numbers 'Bounty hunter with a heart of gold' story, but it's also Steve McQueen's last film (he was diagnosed during it) and an early appearance from LeVar Burton, which both give it a bit more. Some fun stunts and it's engaging enough - but the direction is terrible when not much is happening. I saw someone describe it as like an old TV episode, and that's pretty much right. Has some really weird music choices that make it feel like a 50s melodrama, which must have felt out of place enough in 1980. Likeable and a nice way to spend a couple of hours, but not 'go out of your way to watch' or anything.