WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Does anyone know if there are any fun football games out there outside of EA and whatever became of the Pro Evo franchise?

It occurred to me that I haven't played a football game of any kind in about 6 years. That would have been FIFA 17, which came bundled with my Xbox. I was bored with it very quickly, I'd always been a PES guy through the 90s and 2000s. It seems strange that for a sport so universally popular, that there are so few options on the games market. I appreciate that licences are a massive issue in terms of creating a product with mainstream appeal, but you'd still expect there to be value in producing something which is just fun to play.

I really enjoyed Captain Tsubasa on the PS4, but it's an anime based football game.

• Paid Members

Rocket League. Cars playing football. That's fun. Sort of Speedball but with RC type cars.

There's a Twitter account called This is Football Gaming. It's content is PES and FIFA heavy. They do regularly highlight some more obscure football titles.

Edited by BigJag

• Paid Members

Football Life 2024 is basically PES from a few years back but heavily modded.

As with anything like this, it’s a minor pain getting setup, but it’s all explained on the website and it didn’t take me all that long.

Sorry it’s not a console game, but thought it would be interesting to note as it’s a lesser-known thing but it does have a fairly decent community behind it.

When you spot there’s a rather large download that does nothing than add players’ actual boots, you know it’s backed by people who are actually fans of this sort of thing.

Edited by Scratch

I started playing Live a Live, and I have to say I’m really enjoying it. It’s a very creative JRPG that I kind of slept on when it was first released on Switch, even though I was well aware of it existing (I bought it, and it’s remained on the backlog until now)

There are multiple protagonists, and you go through their stories one-by-one, in any order. One guy, for example, wants to become the best fighter in the world, and you’re immediately transported to a Street Fighter-style character selection screen when you play through his story, fighting his opponents one-by-one. It’s so clever and really fun. In another, you’re a caveman and there’s absolutely no dialogue - but it tells a fun story anyway. I’d highly recommend it.

I remember seeing the trailer to that pre release and really liking the look of it, hope it comes to PSPlus soon

I really want Tekken 8 too but with Like A Dragon(currently playing) and Rebirth soon to come out I’ll have no time for it and I waited till all the DLC to finish before buying Tekken 7 and still have tons of fun with it.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

Wasn't Live a Live originally a SNES game, one of many that never made it to the UK? It always seemed odd with which games companies like Square and Enix thought should be localized for Europe, Secret of Mana and Terranigma make it here but Final Fantasy didn't.

Also, months after that huge merger with Activision..

9 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Wasn't Live a Live originally a SNES game, one of many that never made it to the UK? It always seemed odd with which games companies like Square and Enix thought should be localized for Europe, Secret of Mana and Terranigma make it here but Final Fantasy didn't.

Yes, it was - it didn't make it to the west at all, so it was a huge surprise when it was announced as coming here. 

• Paid Members

Having bought it and never getting around playing the PS4 version, I’ve just seen The Last of Us Part 2 has a PS5 upgrade. They got me and I’ve done the £10 upgrade, looks amazing. Only an hour in but think I’m gonna try to get through it. 

2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Also, months after that huge merger with Activision..

Yes, we're just digesting this news at my current client.  It's still January and we've had 10% of 2023's industry layoffs so far, so it looks like another great year for games developers.

This at a time of huge sales and profits, so this is all down to a series of terrible management decisions across the industry during Covid.  Over-expansion of teams, and some crazy mergers based on data from sales when everyone was stuck indoors for 3 months.

I'm about 6 hours into Infinite Wealth, and have just encountered "Miss Match" and her dating service / app. You set up a profile, match with other users, then chat to them and see if you can convince them to meet up for a date. My first conversation was going quite well, and after scoring a certain amount of points she decided to send me a photo. Full-screen woman's arse, crouching down, shown from behind, with one cheek hanging pretty much all the way out. For fuck's sake.

• Paid Members

Paper Mario

Started this on a whim so I had something to pick up and play between calls at work. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

It's held up in almost every manner. Simple but fun gameplay, lovely graphics and a humour to it that the Mario & Luigi games tried too hard to repeat and failed at. Just the right amount of length too, with a run that I think was two levels off maxing out done around the 20 hour mark, with a couple of optional bosses done also.

I'm really excited to start Infinite Wealth but short and sweet RPGs like this really resonate more with me than the 100 hour grind I'm about to do.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Did you ever play The Thousand Year Door, @FLips?

A friend of mine had it on Gamecube back in the day and honestly all I remember is Rawk Hawk. I'll likely get the remake once that's out assuming I'm done with Like a Dragon by then!

Edited by FLips

14 hours into Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth and only on Chapter 4! 

When I play this series of games I always make sure to clear all the available sub stories before moving onto the next Story check point but there’s so much more to do then that, the game is ridiculously good.