WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

It’s a pity all the Mirror’s Edge sequels weren’t much cop because it was a game changer, the original title.

It introduced the free flowing movement systems that we now take for granted, with sliding and wall running and all that, and at the same time  suddenly you could see your arms and legs all the time.

There was a definite sense of “fuck, ok now we need to be able to do THAT” in the industry when it came out.

Oh, and the music was lush.  I rather think it’s the best game DICE ever made.

• Moderators

It felt crazy innovative to me as a consumer at the time, but have subsequently felt like it turned out to be a creative dead end as I haven't seen it's fingerprints on anything else.

Interesting that from an insider perspective you see it as being an inflection point. What are its "successors" as you see it? 

You could argue there would be no Doom Eternal without Mirrors Edge, it's not just parkour games but the overall movement in many modern FPS games. Modern indie hits like Trepang2 and Neon White are especially indebted and the latter has arguably mastered the style so far.

3 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Paid for 3 months of PlayStation Plus Extra for the kids. What can people recommend for them (and me) 

For you. 

Action/RPG

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Control, Demon’s Souls, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Ghost Of Tsushima, Greedfall (underrated Souls type game), Horizon Forbidden West (gorgeous), Kena: Bridge Of Spirits (surprisingly difficult considering it looks like it’s aimed at a younger audience), Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Guardians Of The Galaxy if you’re a superhero nonce, Returnal, Uncharted: Legacy Of Thieves.

Shooters

Borderlands 3

For your kids (going on the assumption that they’re 12 or under)

Bugsnax, Destroy All Humans 2, Human Fall Flat (can’t recommend this enough), Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Sackboy, Spirit Of The North (exploration game with a fox), Teardown (haven’t played it myself yet, but it looks like a cross between Minecraft and Lego), Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge (Streets Of Rage with Raphael instead of Axel), Tinykin (wonderful game).

That’s just without delving into previous gen consoles. The Ape Escape series probably hold up pretty well for modern gamers.

• Members
2 minutes ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

For your kids (going on the assumption that they’re 12 or under)

14 and 10, but I'll be honest the younger one likes things like COD (yes I'm a bad parent) Fortnite etc.

They've just started on Lego City Undercover which looks exactly like all the other lego games, but they're fun to be fair.

Will take a look at those others in time. Cheers.

Luckily it's not a Bethesda developed game, many at MachineGames have great history with licensed first person titles plus the modern Wolfenstein games.

They've also been making some of the best Quake levels on their time off.

5 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Interesting that from an insider perspective you see it as being an inflection point. What are its "successors" as you see it? 

Everyone else has nailed it really - Cyberpunk being a good example.

Before this you had an fps camera and fake arms that appeared for gun ADS possibly.  After Mirror’s Edge you had to animate legs and hands for all locomotion.

When I did Alien:Isolation it had a full player body with animations and the camera was mounted in the chest (to get the perspective right).  

As I say, it’s so ubiquitous that you almost don’t notice any more.  But that was new in Mirror’s Edge.

In all other respects though it was more like the quirky Portal in terms of highly crafted levels with puzzles, which in the open world era is definitely a path less travelled.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members

Does anyone know if there are any fun football games out there outside of EA and whatever became of the Pro Evo franchise?

It occurred to me that I haven't played a football game of any kind in about 6 years. That would have been FIFA 17, which came bundled with my Xbox. I was bored with it very quickly, I'd always been a PES guy through the 90s and 2000s. It seems strange that for a sport so universally popular, that there are so few options on the games market. I appreciate that licences are a massive issue in terms of creating a product with mainstream appeal, but you'd still expect there to be value in producing something which is just fun to play.

• Members

For what it's worth, I think EA FC24 is pretty good. 

I don't play them year on year, so I can't tell you if it's better or worse than any other year, and I know some years got massive criticism, but I think this one's good.

Sorry, probably not very helpful!