WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

I'm biased as it's the first game my daughters have really loved playing too that isn't some shit TV tie in game, but yeah it's just a lot of fun. Old school platform feels with a modern twist using all the different things the controller can do. And the fact we can all play it and enjoy it at different ways is really great. Definitely reminds me of Mario in that aspect too. Plus the soundtrack is banging.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

I’m eagerly awaiting the follow up to I’m Your GPU. That alone is worth the price of a PS5.

I was a huge fan of that and SSD. 

• Paid Members

Late to the party but me and my 5 year old having been playing Crossy Road on Apple TV with my daughter as it’s 2 player. It’s quite slapstick so she has been cracking up.

It might have made it’s way on my phone too.. it’s quite addictive.

I may as well get rid of my PS5 at this rate as Apple Arcade is the most played thing in our house now. 

• Paid Members

Finally beat the Decathlon on Peggle today. After twice getting to the last level and missing out by one fucking peg.

There's no way to beat 750,000+ though, and not on Peggle Nights either. Absolutely ridiculous. As far as I'm concerned I'm done.

• Paid Members

Picked up that Namco Picross game on Switch yesterday. I've got the Sega one as well. They're quite easy and addictive. People are saying they want a Capcom one next. That could be cool. 

Crossy Road is well moreish. There's one on Switch called Crashy Road? It didn't feel too unfair with the pestering for micro transactions and ads, etc. 

I'm also cracking through Pokémon Scarlet. I'm so annoyed that you can't buy Quick Balls until after you've beaten the 6th gym, but like that there are the other things to do. It's not been too buggy either. The occasional bit of frame drop and pop-in, but nothing I can't handle. 

On 5/30/2024 at 7:19 PM, SpiritOfTheForest said:

Keep us posted how you get on with it

First go, first mission. Dad sent me to buy stuff but some Herbert who had ponced his tools had the dosh. Went to collect the debt, he beat me up so I ran back to mother, got patched up, and then went back and nicked his axe. He saw me and grassed me up to the feds. I had no money to pay the fine so they threw me in jail. Whilst in jail a kerfuffle broke out outside, the jail got set on fire and I died. 

Lovely stuff. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Incredible. Keep them coming! I only found out that outcome was possible much later 😅 By the way Keith, the most minor of spoilers, but at some point in the main quest a priest will ask you to have a beer with him. Make sure you take him up on his offer - what follows is not only my favourite quest of the game but very possibly my favourite quest ever. It'd be a shame to miss it. 

Edited by SpiritOfTheForest

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Picked up a Hori fight stick mini for my Switch. Was about £45 on Amazon. When they say mini they're not joking. It's decent enough. Fun for playing retro arcade games on me switch. 

20240601_001114.JPG

20240601_001443.JPG

IMG-20240601-WA0001.jpeg

Edited by Jazzy G

26 minutes ago, Jazzy G said:

Picked up a Hori fight stick mini for my Switch. Was about £45 on Amazon. When they say mini they're not joking. It's decent enough. Fun for playing retro arcade games on me switch. 

Is that the 30th anniversary collection? How does it run on the switch, and does it work well with the handheld? Looking at a fighting game for on the go and MK1 is a complete and utter write off. 

• Paid Members

That was Ultra SF2, but I do have the anniversary collection and the Capcom fighting collection. They recently did a version of KOFXIII on Switch which is supposed to be decent and is £18, and Hamster have put out Garou: Mark Of The Wolves as part of their ACA Neo Geo range. There are a lot of decent fighters on Switch. 

• Moderators

Had a play with modern controls on sf6 this week. It was fun, but feels a bit cheap. I think it's probably a nice way to get to know my way around some new characters and what they can do, particularly the ones I'm not going to go too deep with. 

But what was nice is that I played Ryu v Ken with my friend who is of roughly the same skill level and he was using modern and I was using classic and I still won most of the matches. So although he managed to punish me more severely for mistakes it still felt balanced for a character I have a half decent grasp of.

Also had a first go with Akuma. He seems much the same as ever, in a good way. 

Thanks for that, I think KOF and Anniversary collection will be the way to go. The only fighting game I've tried on the console was a brief shot of someone else's copy of MK1 and it was unplayable. The graphics were widely ridiculed at the time, but the responsiveness of the controls were the main issue. You could make a cup of tea in the gap between putting in the command and it actually happening. That port is the worst game I've ever played and with Switch not having something like Gamepass it's good to get recommendations from people who've played the games. 

5 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Had a play with modern controls on sf6 this week. It was fun, but feels a bit cheap. I think it's probably a nice way to get to know my way around some new characters and what they can do, particularly the ones I'm not going to go too deep with. 

The biggest issue I had with the modern controls was the change of other buttons. I kept pressing RT/R2 for heavy kick. It was handy for mastering the timing of some of the more complex combos though. In the end I didn't want to go to deep with the modern controls as I didn't want that to replace what I've spent years learning as I can't keep two things in my head at the same time. 

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

Yeah I think that's the right call if you have a hard time switching between the two for sure. I've got a mix set up now - classic for the characters I'm more comfortable with and modern for the others.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

But what was nice is that I played Ryu v Ken with my friend who is of roughly the same skill level and he was using modern and I was using classic and I still won most of the matches. So although he managed to punish me more severely for mistakes it still felt balanced for a character I have a half decent grasp of.

Also had a first go with Akuma. He seems much the same as ever, in a good way. 

Justin Wong, one of the all time great pro Street Fighter players has a great time playing as Zangief with the modern controls. I do wonder if/when we get somebody using modern controls in an EVO top 8 or something. 

@Donald J TrumpKOF XIII is a beautiful game. It's the last of the pixel based ones, and it plays like a dream. Some of the combos are pretty ridiculous, though. The Anniversary Collection is a banger. The museum mode is great to have a look through as well. I'd also recommend the Capcom Fighting Collection. You still get some SF2 (Hyper SF2: The anniversary edition), but there are some Darkstalkers games, Pocket Fighter, Red Earth and Cyberbots which are pretty wacky. A lot more variety. Although it also doesn't have the Alpha games or Third Strike.