Jump to content

Boxing: General News & Discussion Thread


Recommended Posts

Posted

Lennox Lewis and Emanuel Steward on Vitali Klitschko's awkward style:

Emanuel Steward (2005): “He does have the skill. And he’s very effective in an awkward way. He has an unusual gift that I’ve watched it in training, that really sets him out greatly. Not from being big, he has a little bit of the clumsiness to a degree, he’s not as physically coordinated as his younger brother. But he has this unusual sense of feeling a punch before it comes – but can still move in an awkward direction as far as to neutralize it – and throwing a weird punch at the same time. I saw him do that in the gym so effectively. And its something that can’t be taught. You can just feel the guy getting ready to throw a left hook and he’ll throw a counterpunch, like, from underneath the left hook and move his body at angles that I haven’t seen. And that’s what makes him effective. He’s very effective with that style.”

Lennox Lewis (2012) "His main strength is the fact that he's awkward and he leans back. A lot of boxers think that he’s in punching range, but when they throw their punch he’s leaned back a whole foot further away Then he leans back in and punches you. So that’s a problem I found; one that I started to solve halfway through the fight.”

To add, he could also take a punch. That mega-uppercut Lewis landed on him in their 2003 bout would have knocked most other heavyweights out cold. 

His record and achievements don't measure up to other heavyweights of this century, but head to head, I would only pick Lewis and perhaps Fury against him. I think prime Vitali would spark his brother, Joshua, Wilder, Dubois, Joyce, etc.

 

 

  • Paid Members
Posted
3 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

why does Ben Askren believe this is a good idea? ? 

I guess he doesn't care about the outcome and knows it will make him a load of cash.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Maybe, i dont think Askren is hurting for cash but maybe the offer was hard to turn down? 

He does seem to be someone who deals with public humiliation quite well, so maybe the outcome doesn't bother him? this is a good thing, cause i think he's gonna get battered.

Edited by Egg Shen
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

It's a great way for Jake Paul to continue to build up his public image as a cunt as well. I know it's standard practice to pad out a boxing career with iffy matchups, but he's really playing it well by going for names.

Edited by Carbomb
Posted

To be fair, he's only 2-0 so I wouldn't expect him to go for opponents who are too experienced. Although Askren is less than inexperienced I think. Can he even throw a proper punch?

  • Paid Members
Posted

I'd imagine he might have some grounding in dirty boxing, at least. But I don't see him beating a much younger guy who's been training almost exclusively in boxing.

Posted

I've just gone onto youtube and there is indeed a Interview with Jake Paul on Ariel's podcast talking about the Ben Askren fight in April.
I cannot believe this fight is not only actually happening but is the main event this is insane. Is this what it's come to where because of Conor McGregor every MMA fighter now thinks that going over and doing a boxing match is a good idea that will have the same response and hype that the Mayweather Vs McGregor fight got to. I can't see this being anything other than really embarrassing 

Posted

Why? Jake Paul is a huge name and a huge draw and it will be a massive payday for Askren. Fair play to the guy, make it where you can and as easily as you can. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, Kfogg1991 said:


I cannot believe this fight is not only actually happening but is the main event this is insane. Is this what it's come to where because of Conor McGregor every MMA fighter now thinks that going over and doing a boxing match is a good idea that will have the same response and hype that the Mayweather Vs McGregor fight got to. 

oh, it'll get hype, it'll also sell a shit load of PPV's. Jake Paul is a bonafide internet celebrity.

...and i'll be watching ?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...