Boxing: General News & Discussion Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Id actually go for that. If you're gonna take 2 rookie pro's and pair them you can't do much better than that. Both bring in a large following, they are roughly the same size and you have Tyson Fury around to help sell it. The build up would like be a cringe fest, but it would be a huge fight.

• Paid Members

Wouldn't Fury piss it, though? He's surely been training as a boxer for much longer in his life, plus presumably has an older Fury as his trainer.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

This would be his first fight against someone with a winning record. His opposition thus far has a record of something like 12-172. 

How did he look against them?

I'd imagine, looking at the fights Tyson had on his return, that Tommy's career path is being rather tightly managed by his family, arranging fights deliberately to gradually build up his experience and confidence. I just hope he's got that Fury technical wizardry too.

He has the name and that’s it. Until he fights something other than a sentient punchbag it’s impossible to say for sure but he doesn’t look anything but ordinary at best. It’s like Mark Wright of TOWIE playing for Crawley. Yes he’s a pro sportsman but he’s a reality tv star. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

He has the name and that’s it. Until he fights something other than a sentient punchbag it’s impossible to say for sure but he doesn’t look anything but ordinary at best. It’s like Mark Wright of TOWIE playing for Crawley. Yes he’s a pro sportsman but he’s a reality tv star. 

Ah, shame. Not particularly bothered about the Furys, but he's a fellow half-Mauritian, and we're normally shit at sport, so was hoping he might be worth keeping an eye on.

With the way boxing's going, I wouldn't be surprised to see a celeb-driven pro/am divide sometime in the next decade or so, so maybe Tommy's the Fury family's way of getting their "franchise" into the nascent celeb amateur division.

• Paid Members

Merchant took digs at Naz a few times. I remember one during the his entrance for the Barrera fight where he went “bring on the clown, bring on the fighter” or something. Jim Lampley was worse in that fight though. He actually said this when it became clear Barrera was running away with the fight;

“And if he loses, it's because it's been written by Allah! The 12 rounds you see here suggests that Allah knows how to spell Barrera, B-A-R-R-E-R-A.” - Jim Lampley

Thankfully, Big George Foreman was there and kept him in line with a stern “You should be careful with that” or something.

Just realised Naseem vs Barrera will have been 20 years ago next month! 

I don't follow boxing that much at all but just want to chime in and say Prince Naseem is my favourite boxer of all time. I have no idea why but something resonated with me as a kid with him. I grew up watching the big sky box office PPVs with my dad whenever British boxers like Naseem, Lennox Lewis, Joe Calzaghe and later on Ricky Hatton were fighting. There was something about Prince Naseem I liked. I think I even preferred him over Calzaghe and as a Welshman that's sacrilege.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Zebra Kid Mark said:

There was something about Prince Naseem I liked.

Same. I think it was the wrestling fan in me. I appreciated the showman aspect. Same with Eubank. I’d have been around 11-15 years old during Naz’s best years and I still have really vivid memories of watching him on Saturday nights with my Dad and uncle. My old man couldn’t stand Naz. But he seemed to dislike every boxer that wasn’t Nigel Benn or Frank Bruno. Me and my uncle were big Naz fans though. How could you not be mesmerised by this little skinny strip of piss coming out with the over the top entrances, doing somersaults into the ring and sparking everyone while talking shit to them? He was and still is ridiculous. There’ll never be another like him. 

A0E819A6-534F-4EE9-893D-C610D0F18F36.gif

• Paid Members

I always wanted to see Nas lose. It was probably cause my dad wasnt a fan of the showboating and it rubbed off on me.

I vividly remember sitting with him in my sisters old bedroom though, in front of an old portable TV to watch Naseem vs. Steve Robinson. Robinson had come from nowhere to become an unlikely Welsh World Champion and me and my dad were rooting for him. I dont think ive ever watch it back since but Robinson got utterly battered.

0.jpg