Boxing: General News & Discussion Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

Big Glenn was a massive draw back in the day. 

He headlined cards at Gateshead Leisure Centre, Marton Country Club, and Oldham Civic Sports Centre. 

Can’t wait for the Glenn McCrory comeback tour.

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

It's exactly like the MGM Grand except the prostitutes only cost a fiver and a bag of chips. 

Whereas those of us who aren't moneybags have to stick to Blackpool

• Paid Members

this one completely slipped past me, but Haffthor Bjornssen is fighting Irishman Stevan Ward this Friday in a 3 round exhibition.

IMG_20210111_131300.jpg.797415f30056eeaa672739dbf1332792.jpg

Ward is a 13-1 pro, but theres a 12 stone weight difference between the pair. Its a warm up for Thor's fight with Eddie Hall later in the year. This is gonna be messy as fuck, i'll watch it 😄

• Paid Members

Yeh looking forward to following his run. The cards are near complete, if you goto Matchroomboxing.com you can see the listings.

Has anyone seen that Kovalev/Melikuziev is off on the 30th? Kovalev popped for some PED. I was looking forward to that. On first glance i thought it was tick over but after looking into it i realised it wasnt. Melikuziev is a 6-0 Uzbek fighter, apparently he's a monster and Kovalev was actually a heavy underdog in the fight. He was paid a shitload to take it too. The fight was recently moved from Russia to the US too, wonder if that lead to him getting caught? (harder to avoid testing etc?). Probably spells the end of Kovalev though. I hope they find Melikuziev another fight, i wanna see him fight. 

I listened to The Final Round podcast just after New Year and Andy Clark from Sky (and complete Boxing nerd) was on and listed about 5-6 Uzbek fighters to watch for, he said they are gonna come in and take over over the next few years.

Related... but has anyone followed Nathan Cleverly post-boxing? He's turned into abit of a mental case by the seems. I followed Clev's career closely because he was quite local to me, i went to a few of his fights and what not. Anyway, during his career Cleverly was always portrayed as the maths graduate who didnt need to box. Good action fighter though he was, but he retired early at 30 in 2017 and had completely disappeared.

He's reappeared on instagram in the last year though and seems to have gone off the rails abit. I spoke to a mutual friend recently about him and i was told that Cleverly literally smokes weed from morning till night and his heads a bit fried. It seems his lose too Sergey Kovalev has haunted him abit though because he seemed delighted as yesterday news that Kovalev had been caught...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKFEvJipl4_/?igshid=1rjoc6oat4f5x

yep.