Boxing: General News & Discussion Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I’ve always thought he seems the type who’d do well with a podcast. To be honest, it’s usually been his interviews I’ve enjoyed more than his fights over the last few years. Get him on a podcast with a different guest each time and I think it’s a winner. If fucking Brendan Schaub can make coin doing it then surely there’s a place for a much more likeable and less thick version on the Boxing side like Dave Allen. 

What a fight this is. Has me excited for a fight like no other this year. Canelo stepping up and facing THE man at 168. True greatness awaits Canelo if he wins this. Superstardom awaits Smith if he wins. 

Canelo's level opponents are up there with anyone to ever be in the sport. Since 2010 he's had Lovemore N'dou, Carlos Baldomir, Kermit Cintron, Shane Mosley, Austin Trout, Floyd Mayweather, Eirslandy Lara, Miguel Cotto, Amir Khan, JC Chavez Jr, GGG, Daniel Jacobs & Sergey Kovalev. That's 13 world Champions, along with opponents like Alfredo Angulo, Ryan Rhodes, Matt Hatton, James Kirkland. It's quite a run.

What's interesting is Canelo has long been criticised for clauses, weight manipulation whilst under golden boy whereas the moment he's out of contract he fights at 168 vs the main man at 168. 

Smith didn't look great last time out vs Ryder. Had some inactivity though he's been in the gym and is an absolute monster for the weight.