Comedy and offense

Chris B

Just now, Duke said:

To be fair, there is a difference between getting it out in front of an audience, directed at the whole audience and getting it out as part of singling out one woman.

Yep. There’s a magic trick he does involving changing his underwear which involves Little Jerry making an appearance, which is sensational. 

Still, I’m sure this episode will boost sales for his upcoming tour, he doesn’t get enough credit for his magic, he is one of the best. 

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

I know,  and despite you arguing your point poorly in this thread I agree with you in theory, but as I said if you are applying different criteria as to what's acceptable between two different styles of "art" you can't complain when that's also used by others between two different styles of "art". 

Well, that’s subjective but given how predictable the replies have been from this forum it’s hardly surprising you take that view, I doubt there’s anything I could’ve said that would win over the great white knights of the UKFF. And regardless, I’m not here to win anyone over. 

You’re putting words in my mouth with the second part, I haven’t said I agree or disagree with Chubby Brown’s show getting cancelled. And like Keith said that was a council owned building but you already know there’s a difference between that and a Fringe show. 

Edited by stumobir

Again though, context is everything. The same joke can be said by two different comedians word for word but the intent can be worlds apart. Apologies for racist language here. Chubby Brown and Chris Rock could both say “What would The Simpsons be called if they were black? Nig*ers” and have totally different meanings. 

I just don't see, as a performer myself what the joke when you call Rishi Sunak a 'p**i'. What are you aiming at there. I think some of his defence is a bit 'we survived the 76 heatwave' like we've got soft. We haven't, but fucking time has moved on too. Plus fuck the Pleasance, Edinburgh is a black hole on comedians. 

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, stumobir said:

Well, that’s subjective but given how predictable the replies have been from this forum it’s hardly surprising you take that view, I doubt there’s anything I could’ve said that would win over the great white knights of the UKFF. And regardless, I’m not here to win anyone over. 

For saying I'm agreeing with your root point you're awfully confrontational, but that seems to be a common thread for your posts since the start. 

You complained about someone having different standards for different forms or delivery of comedy or wider art,  but at the same time argue that ultimately that that's fundamental to how people approach the content in context. That's all,  I'm saying you can't have it both ways.  

Outside that I'm neither defending or vilifying him or his act as I've not seen it. 

Edited by Tommy!

32 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Why would you being a performer have any bearing on you understanding the joke? One which none of us can say we do or don't understand given the lack of context we have right now.

Just figured as a working act who writes I'd have some bearing on it, I also feel uncomfortable because I'm not sure if you are one of them 'not liking me' in general, so I'm backing out before anything weird from my side occurs. 

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

For saying I'm agreeing with your root point you're awfully confrontational, but that seems to be a common thread for your posts since the start. 

You complained about someone having different standards for different forms or delivery of comedy or wider art,  but at the same time argue that ultimately that that's fundamental to how people approach the content in context. That's all,  I'm saying you can't have it both ways.  

Outside that I'm neither defending or vilifying him or his act as I've not seen it. 

Apologies, no confrontation meant, brother ✌🏻 

I don’t think that’s I have been arguing tbh. The standards should remain the same but understanding the context is fundamental to how the content should be treated. Ironically, Sadowitz is one of the comedians who’s actually spoken about this quite a bit. 

Edited by stumobir

1 hour ago, Chili said:

I just don't see, as a performer myself what the joke when you call Rishi Sunak a 'p**i'.

I’ll have a try. 

I was talking to a Tory party member the other day and asked who he was voting for as party leader. “Well, Rishi was excellent during lockdown by rolling out furlough, his eat out to help out scheme kept businesses afloat, and he wants to put and end to all this woke nonsense”

”Liz on the other hand is a former Lib Dem, a former remainer, thick as a Boxing Day shit, didn’t know which areas were actually Russian when she was Foreign Secretary, changes her mind constantly and can’t be trusted, typical woman. So on balance I’m voting for Liz”

I was a bit surprised and asked how, given all he said he was voting for Liz Truss

”Yes she is awful but I’m not voting for the p*ki”

£8 and the joke is yours, a fiver if you voted for me as failed comedian. 

2 hours ago, stumobir said:

given how predictable the replies have been from this forum it’s hardly surprising you take that view, I doubt there’s anything I could’ve said that would win over the great white knights of the UKFF. And regardless, I’m not here to win anyone over.

You could have trotted this out at the start and saved us all some time trying to have a good faith discussion with you (and spared Keith from pipping me to that award 🤞).

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, stumobir said:

I don’t think that’s I have been arguing tbh. The standards should remain the same but understanding the context is fundamental to how the content should be treated. Ironically, Sadowitz is one of the comedians who’s actually spoken about this quite a bit. 

I've clearly misunderstood, my apologies. 

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

£8 and the joke is yours, a fiver if you voted for me as failed comedian. 

You want to be careful someone doesn't just lift it and pass it off as there own.