Comedy and offense

Chris B

• Paid Members

It’s already too hot to go outside, so I’ll engage. 

He’s been voted one of the best comedians of all time, he’s frequently lauded by other comedians and artists as a pioneer of black comedy and regularly referenced as an inspiration for many of your mainstream comedians. He’s  spoken about not recording much of his work because of how it can be perceived by those who don’t know what he’s about. This is conjecture but I’d be surprised if Pleasance weren’t pushing him as one of their biggest draws of the festival before this. He hasn’t changed, this is his act, he wants the audience to dislike him and to feel uncomfortable, it’s called performance. Until yesterday he was revered comedian, today he’s been “cancelled” for doing the same shit he’s been doing for decades.  

edit: one day I’ll learn to proof read.

Edited by stumobir

Maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong, I stopped caring at "fuck off with your gotcha attempts." All I'd done was ask you what you meant and you decided to be a paranoid cunt about it.

1 hour ago, stumobir said:

anyone who booked a ticket did so knowing what kind of act Sadowitz is.

Maybe they had heard the name but hadn’t heard his stuff. They should’ve at least looked on YouTube to watch all the clips of him that he spends a lot of time having removed. 

Heres another view, staff members complained about hearing racist slurs and a man getting his cock out, so the venue supported their employees by making sure they weren’t subjected to it again. 

• Paid Members

I watched American Pie 3/American Wedding, last night. I found it just as funny - and sweet, in it's own little way - as I did when I saw it in the cinema the guts of 20 years ago. 

However, my missus was appalled I could ever find anything so offensive as funny as I do/did. Even though I distinctly remember her howling with laughter at the 'Stifler Dance Off' a few years ago, last time we watched it, yet she still teed off on me. Awful carry on, it really fucking is, and it disgusts me that her sanctimonious, revisionist attitude over me laughing at Stifler caused the argument it did last night. 

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Maybe they had heard the name but hadn’t heard his stuff. They should’ve at least looked on YouTube to watch all the clips of him that he spends a lot of time having removed. 

Heres another view, staff members complained about hearing racist slurs and a man getting his cock out, so the venue supported their employees by making sure they weren’t subjected to it again. 

Yeah, that’s kind of my point. He goes out of his way to make sure people don’t stumble upon his work. Doesn’t appear on tv, doesn’t record, doesn’t release DVDs and spends time and effort making sure his stuff on YouTube is removed. He’s apologised for others who try to imitate him but without the nuance and said that if he ever felt like he was become an Alf Garnett like act then he’d pack it in. 

Or maybe the venue, who absolutely will have known what kind of act he was, should have shown some due diligence and ensured that anyone who may have been uncomfortable with the act wasn’t subjected to it in the first place. 

• Awards Moderator
36 minutes ago, stumobir said:

This is conjecture but I’d be surprised if Pleasance weren’t pushing him as one of their biggest draws of the festival before this.

I live in Edinburgh and I’ve been to a few things at Pleasance so far this month and I had no idea he was performing until Keith posted in this thread. Not that I’ve been looking out for his posters specifically, but I’ve certainly not seen any advertising around town for him - and there’s a lot of Pleasance advertising around town.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I live in Edinburgh and I’ve been to a few things at Pleasance so far this month and I had no idea he was performing until Keith posted in this thread. Not that I’ve been looking out for his posters specifically, but I’ve certainly not seen any advertising around town for him - and there’s a lot of Pleasance advertising around town.

Fair enough, cheers. Sadly, don’t think I’ll make it up this year. And now that I’ve had a coffee I’ve remembered from speaking to people who’ve had shows at the Festival that it’s generally the act that pays for promotion anyway. 

2 minutes ago, stumobir said:

Yeah, that’s kind of my point. He goes out of his way to make sure people don’t stumble upon his work. Doesn’t appear on tv, doesn’t record, doesn’t release DVDs and spends time and effort making sure his stuff on YouTube is removed. He’s apologised for others who try to imitate him but without the nuance and said that if he ever felt like he was become an Alf Garnett like act then he’d pack it in. 

It also negates your point about people would’ve known what they were getting from him. More people have heard his name than seen his stuff. 

3 minutes ago, stumobir said:

Or maybe the venue, who absolutely will have known what kind of act he was, should have shown some due diligence and ensured that anyone who may have been uncomfortable with the act wasn’t subjected to it in the first place. 

Did they know in advance he was going to get his cock out to a woman in the front row? And if all the staff said they weren’t comfortable with it, they would’ve had to cancel the show and arseholes would be conflating free speech and censorship with a platform. 

Getting your cock out to an audience member is not on, I can’t really comment on the racial slurs because context is important, maybe he was parodying old Tory members and their attitude towards sexism and racism “I’m not voting for a p*ki” is something you’d imagine then saying for instance. But let’s not pretend that the audience and staff members are at fault, it’s the bloke who waved his Willy at a woman. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

It also negates your point about people would’ve known what they were getting from him. More people have heard his name than seen his stuff. 

Did they know in advance he was going to get his cock out to a woman in the front row? And if all the staff said they weren’t comfortable with it, they would’ve had to cancel the show and arseholes would be conflating free speech and censorship with a platform. 

Getting your cock out to an audience member is not on, I can’t really comment on the racial slurs because context is important, maybe he was parodying old Tory members and their attitude towards sexism and racism “I’m not voting for a p*ki” is something you’d imagine then saying for instance. But let’s not pretend that the audience and staff members are at fault, it’s the bloke who waved his Willy at a woman. 

I went to see a one man show of Irvine Welsh’s Filth a few years ago, my friend was the director. The actor got his knob out and simulated receiving a blow job from a 15 year old. It was her first 5 star show. 

3 minutes ago, stumobir said:

I went to see a one man show of Irvine Welsh’s Filth a few years ago, my friend was the director. The actor got his knob out and simulated receiving a blow job from a 15 year old. It was her first 5 star show. 

That’s great but what does that have to do with this topic?

21 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

He was only doing two nights.

• Paid Members
Just now, Keith Houchen said:

I see, interesting counterpoint. You display the sophistry not seen since Bophadese captivated the Ancient Greek theatres. 

If you can’t see the comparison of two one man shows involving men whipping their knob out then I’m not here to spell it out for you. 

Sadowitz isn’t the first act to use nudity at the Fringe, he’s probably not even the only act to use it this year.