Comedy and offense

Chris B

3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:
Context is everything, obviously. Unconfirmed reports he called Sunak a racial slur and got his cock out to a woman. Cue idiots bemoaning the death of free speech and cancel culture ruling the world. 

I saw this in a article about it

One audience member told the Scottish Sun: ‘He called Rishi Sunak a 'p***'; said the economy was awful because it is run by "blacks and women".

‘He got his penis out to a woman in the front row. The problem was not the audience - I knew he was an acquired taste. It was his indefensible content.’

Aside from getting his knob out, none of that material sounds uncommon for Sadowitz.  I saw him at the Fringe a few years back where an Asian guy in the audience took the full brunt of his abuse, but it was all taken as being an (uncomfortable) expected part of his act.  If the venue genuinely weren't expecting that sort of material (which I find unlikely given the amount of time Sadowitz has been around and the amount of time Pleasance have been putting on shows) they have massively misjudged the booking. 

• Paid Members

Sadowitz’s gimmick has always been offense to the point of revulsion.

I’d be surprised if Sadowitz’s show wasn’t one of the most expensive on at the Fringe that day, anyone who booked a ticket did so knowing what kind of act Sadowitz is. Pleasance theatre will have known what kind of act Sadowitz is and should have discussed this with their staff. 
I’m starting to get the feeling we’re moving from deplatforming undesirables to outright censorship. A dangerous road to go down. 

Edited by stumobir

10 minutes ago, stumobir said:

I’m starting to get the feeling we’re moving from deplatforming undesirables to outright censorship.

What makes you say that?

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

What makes you say that?

Because of the polarisation of todays society some people just seem desperate to show their credentials. Whether it’s middle-class libs white knighting or right-wing mouthpieces screaming down criticism while, ironically, crying about free speech.

• Paid Members

I mean, it’s 2022, if ableism, incest, murder, rape, genocide, infanticide are considered a good tv show or washed aside as “well you know what you’re getting from him, bloody snowflakes” then TV shows are not for me. 

This one’s about the most successful tv show of all time, if you haven’t seen it you can catch it on Sky’s “entertainment” section. 

Edited by stumobir

24 minutes ago, stumobir said:

Because of the polarisation of todays society some people just seem desperate to show their credentials. Whether it’s middle-class libs white knighting or right-wing mouthpieces screaming down criticism while, ironically, crying about free speech.

I don't mean to be anal, but I'm curious about a real-world example of your distinction between deplatforming undesirables and the outright censorship that we're moving into?

Who's been censored that wasn't an undesirable being deplatformed?

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

I don't mean to be anal, but I'm curious about a real-world example of your distinction between deplatforming undesirables and the outright censorship that we're moving into?

Who's been censored that wasn't an undesirable being deplatformed?

Sadowitz. And fuck off with you “gotcha” attempts.

Edited by stumobir