Comedy and offense

Chris B

18 minutes ago, stumobir said:

If you can’t see the comparison of two one man shows involving men whipping their knob out then I’m not here to spell it out for you. 

Did he go off script? Did the promotional material mention the show contained nudity? Did he wave it at an unsuspecting audience member? 

46 minutes ago, stumobir said:

I went to see a one man show of Irvine Welsh’s Filth a few years ago, my friend was the director. The actor got his knob out and simulated receiving a blow job from a 15 year old. It was her first 5 star show. 

That's part of the book though? Leaving it out wouldn't have made sense from a narrative point of view?

It's one of the moments where you realise just what a shit Bruce is.

I don't think the two are comparable to be honest. 

• Paid Members

Is having read the book a condition of seeing the show? Did the book come with a warning that was in it? Does nudity mean nips, knob or full on gape?

If you pay to see a comedian known to be the most vile and offensive out there, expected to be offended. If you bought the ticket without as much as a Google of who he was, that’s on you. If Pleasance didn’t brief their staff of what kind of act he was, that’s on them. 

Just now, stumobir said:

Is having read the book a condition of seeing the show? Did the book come with a warning that was in it? Does nudity mean nips, knob or full on gape?

If you pay to see a comedian known to be the most vile and offensive out there, expected to be offended. If you bought the ticket without as much as a Google of who he was, that’s on you. If Pleasance didn’t brief their staff of what kind of act he was, that’s on them. 

No I don't think you would have had to read the book before hand, but I do think there is a difference in one being part of a script/story and the other being something that the act has just chosen to do. 

For what its worth, I think both the act and venue are in the wrong here. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

No I don't think you would have had to read the book before hand, but I do think there is a difference in one being part of a script/story and the other being something that the act has just chosen to do. 

For what its worth, I think both the act and venue are in the wrong here. 

You’re setting different levels of acceptability for different types of art then. If Sadowitz had written it and someone else performed it would that have made it more acceptable?

edit: from what I’ve read this wasn’t just an impromptu flash but part of a piece that he’s done in other shows before this. 

Edited by stumobir

6 minutes ago, stumobir said:

You’re setting different levels of acceptability for different types of art then. If Sadowitz had written it and someone else performed it would that have made it more acceptable?

edit: from what I’ve read this wasn’t just an impromptu flash but part of a piece that he’s done in other shows before this. 

Possibly to be honest. I think the context  in which it happens matters.

12 minutes ago, stumobir said:

So close to getting it.

Mate, there's no need to be rude. These are all just opinions and I don't think anyone believes their view is the one and only true one. There's obviously a lot of nuance involved. 

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, stumobir said:

You’re setting different levels of acceptability for different types of art then

But that's your whole argument isn't it? ,Sadowitz is fine to get his nob out and call people pakki or nigger but it's not for chubby brown say. 

Now I agree with your point in theory, it is fundamentaly different because of the presentation and intent of delivery but you can't then turn around and complain about that logic as well. 

Surely it is fundamentaly different for a stage actor to get his penis out to another stage actor, both of which are aware of the script and narrative it is driving in the overarching story and a comic getting it out to an unsuspecting women in the front row for shock value. 

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Mate, there's no need to be rude. These are all just opinions and I don't think anyone believes their view is the one and only true one. There's obviously a lot of nuance involved. 

Sorry, I didn’t mean that to be as arsey as it’s come across. But that’s his schtick, a misanthrope who is utterly bereft of joy but not one deserving of any sympathy because he’s an appalling person. 

I’ve seen him once, it wasn’t side splitting funny but it’s a performance that certainly stirs the emotions. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

As someone who doesn't know any of Jerry's stuff - why is it an outrage that he had his show cancelled due to the content of it but when the same thing happened to Roy Chubby Brown earlier this year or whenever, people were all in agreement with the venues? 

2 hours ago, stumobir said:

He’s been voted one of the best comedians of all time, he’s frequently lauded by other comedians and artists 

That seems to be the crux of it. 

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

But that's your whole argument isn't it? ,Sadowitz is fine to get his nob out and call people pakki or nigger but it's not for chubby brown say. 

Now I agree with your point in theory, it is fundamentaly different because of the presentation and intent of delivery but you can't then turn around and complain about that logic as well. 

It is also surely it is fundamentaly different for a stage actor to get his penis out to another stage actor, both of which are aware of the script and narrative it is driving in the overarching story and a comic getting it out to an unsuspecting women in the front row for shock value. 

Because you’re supposed to laugh along with Chubby Brown, he’s mocking minorities. You’re supposed to laugh at how pathetic Sadowitz is, he’ll slag off people but ultimately the joke is that their more successful and happier than him. 

I used the comparison of the one man show because there were no other actors, it was directed at the audience. I’ve read the book so knew the scene would be included but was still shocked at the level of vulgarity, my girlfriend hadn’t read the book so was even more shocked than me. We both knew the book was offensive and vulgar and went in with those expectations. 

Chubby Browns gig was cancelled because it was at a civic building that tax payers help fund. This isn’t the same thing. 

EDIT - “I’ve read the book so knew the scene would be included”

Thats why it’s not a valid comparison. 

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, stumobir said:

Because you’re supposed to laugh along with Chubby Brown, he’s mocking minorities. You’re supposed to laugh at how pathetic Sadowitz is, he’ll slag off people but ultimately the joke is that their more successful and happier than him

I know,  and despite you arguing your point poorly in this thread I agree with you in theory. But as I said if you are applying different criteria as to what's acceptable between two different styles of "art" you can't complain when that's also used by others between two different styles of "art". 

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, stumobir said:

used the comparison of the one man show because there were no other actors, it was directed at the audience. 

To be fair, there is a difference between getting it out in front of an audience, directed at the whole audience and getting it out as part of singling out one woman.