Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

1 hour ago, King Coconut said:

Well it fucking shouldn't be.

Of course it should. Vaccines need to to be tried and tested on the plebs before the wealthy and famous will entertain it.

54 minutes ago, Pinc said:

Yes I'm sure they'll be eminently sensible and informed by the latest scientific thinking.

Ordinarily I'd agree, but you'd think that someone who's obviously as tuned-in regarding health and so on would be informed by the latest scientific thinking. I recall seeing a short documentary about him a few years back and he was working with all manner of sports scientists, health experts, dieticians and so on.

It would be interesting to hear his reasoning, especially if it's not the usual tinfoil-type material.

• Members
5 minutes ago, David said:

Of course it should. Vaccines need to to be tried and tested on the plebs before the wealthy and famous will entertain it.

Ordinarily I'd agree, but you'd think that someone who's obviously as tuned-in regarding health and so on would be informed by the latest scientific thinking. I recall seeing a short documentary about him a few years back and he was working with all manner of sports scientists, health experts, dieticians and so on.

It would be interesting to hear his reasoning, especially if it's not the usual tinfoil-type material.

Dopers. They're called dopers.

Vaccinations should be mandatory.  If we’ve got to the stage in human devolution that people want to endanger themselves their children and everyone else by not vaccinating, it should have consequences akin to other infractions of our shared experience.

For example - you can’t access the NHS unless you have complete vaccination records.  If you don’t trust doctors fine - don’t use them then, ever.

• Paid Members

Crude oil prices have collapsed because car and public transport use is down so much. And by collapsed, I mean that the financial market price for a barrel of oil was in the $60-80 range for most of the last year. It's now 99c. As in financial traders are paying the same amount for 158 liters of oil as they are for a McDonalds cheeseburger.

And to show how insane financial trading is, the price for a barrel on monthly advance contract (meaning you agree the deal now and then exchange the money for the ownership of the oil in a month) has gone negative. As in, people will agree now to pay you in a month to take oil from them. Which sounds crazy, but is actually based on reality because oil is selling so slowly that there's stuff being drilled now that they won't have storage capacity for down the supply chain.

16 minutes ago, JNLister said:

Crude oil prices have collapsed because car and public transport use is down so much. And by collapsed, I mean that the financial market price for a barrel of oil was in the $60-80 range for most of the last year. It's now 99c. As in financial traders are paying the same amount for 158 liters of oil as they are for a McDonalds cheeseburger.

And to show how insane financial trading is, the price for a barrel on monthly advance contract (meaning you agree the deal now and then exchange the money for the ownership of the oil in a month) has gone negative. As in, people will agree now to pay you in a month to take oil from them. Which sounds crazy, but is actually based on reality because oil is selling so slowly that there's stuff being drilled now that they won't have storage capacity for down the supply chain.

Petrol prices have been amazing the last few weeks. Every cloud and all that. 

Will no doubt shoot right up when lockdown is over though!

1 hour ago, David said:

This is just dreadful critical thinking mate. He has a dietician so his opposition to vaccination is ‘interesting’? Don’t carry water for the gimps.

Just now, Pinc said:

This is just dreadful critical thinking mate. He has a dietician so his opposition to vaccination is ‘interesting’? Don’t carry water for the gimps.

If you think his support team consists of a dietician, I don't know what to tell you. He's got an entire team of sports scientists on his payroll. He's also not a mug. This isn't weird Frank from down the street who thinks he has to cover his webcam in case the government are watching him. He's an athlete worth hundreds of millions of dollars who obviously cares about his physical performance and well-being.

I think it would be interesting to hear why he believes what he does, and I hope he's pressed on the matter.

1 hour ago, Loki said:

Vaccinations should be mandatory.  If we’ve got to the stage in human devolution that people want to endanger themselves their children and everyone else by not vaccinating, it should have consequences akin to other infractions of our shared experience.

For example - you can’t access the NHS unless you have complete vaccination records.  If you don’t trust doctors fine - don’t use them then, ever.

There's going to have to be exceptions as that'll fuck over a lot of people who were born abroad etc. Like you can't expect someone who was seeking asylum here to have that. What about the children who had no say in it either?

Edited by Merzbow