2020 Celebrity Death Thread

seph

• Paid Members

From the end of the 2019 thread -

Edited by neil
changed the stupid fucking title

• Paid Members

Ah, I'd missed that one. What a bloke. 

Was underrated in Yes, Minister for being a bit of a third wheel in that cast, but always played the part to perfection. A bit of a soft spot for early Heartbeat too, as I watched a lot of it when I was younger, and went on a school trip to where it was filmed. 

• Awards Moderator

Oh that's awful. He went downhill so quickly. He performed at the O2 then not long after confessed to Michael Palin his diagnosis. Palin writes about him frequently on Facebook. 

Eg

What a talent he was. 

Edited by Onyx2

• Awards Moderator

I'm quite cut up about this one - extremely sad news. Jones has always been one of my favourite Pythons; I remember reading and loving his Observer columns in GCSE English, where we studied his use of rhetorical devices, and I went home and used the newly-installed broadband to devour everything he'd written for them; I have a copy of Medieval Lives on my bookshelf at work. He was such a great, versatile, funny writer. It was desperately sad to hear of his condition and the periodic updates from Palin about how he was doing. RIP.😔.

• Paid Members

I think part of the reason that Python worked so well is that each member had a fairly defined archetype or comic role; Cleese did exasperated rage and pomposity, Palin was the repressed "stiff upper lip" or authority figure, Eric Idle the irritant/eccentric, and Chapman the actor. Terry Jones just seemed to represent the sheer unbridled joy of performing, in its most essential sense - the delight in dressing up and putting on a silly voice. The joy of serious, intelligent men doing profoundly daft things.

I remember watching some show about Vic and Bob where various talking heads were dissecting various sketches and getting poetic about the metaphors and influences. Terry Jones said with a huge smile he thought a lot of the time they were just being silly for the sake of being silly, and there’s nothing wrong with being silly. 

49 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I remember watching some show about Vic and Bob where various talking heads were dissecting various sketches and getting poetic about the metaphors and influences. Terry Jones said with a huge smile he thought a lot of the time they were just being silly for the sake of being silly, and there’s nothing wrong with being silly. 

Just as an aside, I love it when “high brow” theories get trumped by the actual people that know what’s going on, like this.

Always reminds me of Hoffman telling Olivier that he’d been up for days getting into character and Olivier replying “My dear boy, why don’t you just try acting” or Harry Redknapp masterminding a ‘tactical’ genius win over Liverpool by telling Pavlyuchenko to “get on and fucking run around a bit”.

Anyway, very sad news about Jones. Let’s wrap Palin up in cotton wool.

• Paid Members

Aye - as much as there is some Dadaism and surrealism in Vic & Bob's work, there's equally, if not more, Morecambe & Wise, and just two old mates dicking about making each other laugh.

the Guardian review of the new David Lynch short was similar, just vaguely suggesting there might be deeper meaning, because they daren't suggest there isn't in case they got caught out.

Edited by BomberPat