Best in Wrestling 2019 NOMINATIONS

Onyx2

• Awards Moderator

In an unusual year where we have the possibility of a legitimate alternative to start picking at WWE, along with NWA and TNA putting up solid shows, NJPW having a stellar year, this should be a great ballot.

You can nominate until 11th January.

Please nominate up to three choices for each of the following awards, clearly stating the specific award your nominations are for.

If you want to give reasons or arguments why you've made your picks, please do.

Best pro wrestler - this can be any male or female singles wrestler. Tag combinations also acceptable if their combined work can't be separated or made distinct from each other

Best women's wrestler

Match of the Year

Best wrestling event 

Best wrestling show - TV, Network Exclusive, YouTube or web show. One off broadcasts like WWE 24 Seth Rollins also count

Best feud or angle

Moment of the Year

Best babyface

Best heel

Funniest moment of the year

Best tag team

Best wrestling podcast

Best use of social media - new for 2019, this is either an individual who posts amazing Tweets, or a single YouTube channel that you can't miss, etc.

Edited by Onyx2

Best pro wrestler

1. Chris Jericho - What a turnaround for this guy. I never thought I could like the guy again after listening to the early days of his podcast, but I can’t see an argument for anyone else as far as wrestler of the year goes. He’s been fantastic.

2. Nick Aldis - If NWA Powerrr didn’t have him, it wouldn’t be anywhere near as fun as it is. He’s nothing better than solid in ring, but he seems to know his limitations, and combines them with some of the best character work in wrestling right now.

3. Cody - There was a point this year when I’d probably have come higher on that list, but as it stands he only just made it. It must be said, I’ve not been enjoying him at all in recent weeks. Up until the MJF/BBB feud he’d been AEW’s brightest spark outside of Jericho.

Best Women’s wrestler

1. Shayna Baszler - Lynch/Baszler is the only match I actually want to see at Wrestlemania this year. Please don’t send her after Bayley, WWE.

2. Tessa Blanchard - THE wrestler AEW needs to spark up its women’s division. She’d probably be better off going to WWE though. She’s something special.

3. Becky Lynch - She’s cooled down since the Rousey feud, but she’s the top full-time star on Raw and arguably the biggest full-time star in WWE right now and that deserves acknowledgement.

Match of the Year

1. Cody vs Dustin Rhodes (Double or Nothing) - Even if AEW continues to plummet in quality, at least they gave this to the world.

2. Daniel Bryan vs Kofi Kingston (Wrestlemania) - hard to believe it given where he is on the card now, but this could easily have main evented this show.

3. Pete Dunne vs WALTER (NXT Takeover: New York) - I also considered WALTER/Tyler Bate, it was almost literally a coin flip between the two when it came to making a decision.

Best wrestling event

1. NWA Into the Fire - The most fun I’ve had watching a wrestling PPV in ages. It wasn’t overly long, the wrestling was enjoyable and there were lots of great surprises.

2. The first Smackdown on Fox - Can I include this? I couldn’t possibly list Smackdown for my show of the year, but this debut was excellent.

3. AEW Double or Nothing - A bit on the long side, but I still enjoyed it a lot.

Best wrestling show

1. NWA Powerrr - A consistently fun watch, a no brained for this list.

2. NXT - NXT has been firing on all cylinders since moving to USA, something I can’t say AEW has been able to do.

3. WWE RAW - I really wanted to include Dynamite, but it’s gone downhill recently whereas Raw has become consistently enjoyable. In all honesty I’m basing this one on recent form, as opposed to overall track record.

Best feud or angle

1. Chris Jericho vs Cody Rhodes - Easily the best work AEW has done from a story standpoint. 

2. Nick Aldis vs Tim Storm - If Storm actually does get to challenge for the NWA Worlds Title again I’ll be screaming my lungs out, cheering him on.

3. Shayna Baszler vs Rhea Ripley - Probably the most invested I’ve been in a women’s match this year.

Moment of the year

1. Kofi Kingston wins the WWE Title - A day I never thought I’d see, let alone want to see. But it happened, and in the moment I absolutely did.

2. Bray Wyatt debuts ‘The Fiend’ - Specifically the Firefly Funhouse in which he was introduced. It still gives me goosebumps.

3. Cody’s ‘I need my brother’ promo - the most emotional end to a non title or non retirement match I’ve ever seen. Loved it.

Best babyface

1. Tim Storm - He’s naturally likeable, and his age (and the fact he doesn’t have to hide it) makes him totally unique.

2. Cody

3. Becky Lynch

Best heel

1. Chris Jericho

2. Nick Aldis

3. Shayna Baszler

Funniest moment

1. Jericho’s parody vignette pre Cody match.

2. RVD interrupts Brian Cage interview by making out with his girlfriend (Impact Wrestling)

3. Jericho/Luchasaurus/Jungle Boy confrontation, leading to 10 min match

Best tag team

1. The Lucha Bros

2. Jurassic Express

3. Undisputed Era

Best wrestling podcast

1. Wrestle Me

2. Grilling JR

Best use of social media

1. Becky Lynch

2. Xavier Woods/UpUpDownDown

3. Big E

Edited by RedRooster

Will probably edit once I think of more.

Best pro wrestler - Will Ospreay, Tomohiro Ishii, Shingo Takagi 

Best women's wrestler - Io Shirai, Tam Nakano, Shayna Baszler 

Match of the Year: Will Ospreay Vs Shingo Takagi Best Of Super Juniors Final

Kazuchika Okada Vs Will Ospreay G1 Climax Day 7

Tomohiro Ishii Vs Jeff Cobb G1 Climax Day 2

Best wrestling event: Best Of Super Juniors Final, NJPW Dominion, NJPW Wrestle Kingdom

Best wrestling show - NXT, 

Best feud or angle: Jericho Vs Cody, 

Moment of the Year: Cody’s promo after his match with Dustin, Shibata’s Attack on Kenta after he joined the Bullet Club

Best babyface: Cody, Kota Ibushi, Mayu Iwatani

Best heel:  Switchblade Jay White, KENTA, Shayna Baszler 

Funniest moment of the year: Tama Tonga slinging the ROH Tag Team Title across the room clanging it of a wall during an Interview saying “no one gives a fuck about no ROH” and Anything involving Sumire Natsu

The Jericho vignette parodying the Cody Vignette prior to their match.

”A Little Bit Of The Bubbly”

Best tag team: Undisputed Era, Lucha Bros, 

Best wrestling podcast: OSW Review

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Awards Moderator

Best pro wrestler

Chris Jericho - never thought that would be the case but le champion has been the best thing in AEW by miles.

Kofi Kingston - Kofimania seems a very long time ago now but it was this year and I got caught up in it.

PAC - just because he’s ace

Best women's wrestler

Rhea Ripley - star power, charisma, ring work, aura, she’s got it all

Io Shirai - floundering at the start of the year but that heel turn transformed her and turned things around in a big way 

Bianca Belair - solid wrestling and brilliant character work.

Match of the Year

Moustache Mountain vs Grizzled Young Vets, Takeover Blackpool - a cracking tag opener that was better than any NXT-proper did this year

Kofi Kingston vs Daniel Bryan, WrestleMania - Bryan made Kofi look like a champion, and the finish had me cheering.

Drake Maverick vs Mike Kanellis, 205 Live - stay with me here. Drake’s work in this match is the purest babyface stuff I’ve seen in years and it is superb. He’s wasted right now.

Best wrestling event 

NXT Takeover XXV - Riddle vs Strong, a great Four Way Ladder Match and the fact I watched it on my holidays by a pool in Singapore. Top marks

NXT UK Takeover Blackpool - Cardiff has the better main event but this one was fun more or less from start to finish

Best wrestling show 

Network special - WALTER vs Tyler Bate - wonderful buildup to a great match

Best feud or angle

Jungle Boy can’t last 10 minutes against Jericho

Goldberg vs Dolph Ziggler

Rey Mysterio vs Andrade

Moment of the Year

The Fiend debuts at Summerslam 

Kofi Kingston wins the WWE Title

Becky Lynch chooses Ronda Rousey

Honourable mention - Finn Balor turns on Johnny Gargano

Best babyface

Tyler Bate

Dustin Rhodes

Rey Mysterio 

Best heel

Imperium 

Chris Jericho

Daniel Bryan 

“A little bit of the bubbly”

War Raiders debut on Raw as the Viking Experience

Drake Maverick’s quest for the 24/7 title

Best tag team

Imperium 

Jurassic Express

Street Profits

Best wrestling podcast

Wrestle Me

Best use of social media

KidSWOL

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

Best pro wrestler - Will Ospreay, Kenny Omega, Cody

Best women's wrestler - Tessa Blanchard

Match of the Year - Cody v Dustin Rhodes (Double or Nothing), Will Ospreay v Shingo Takagi (BOSJ Final), Will Ospreay v Kazuchika Okada (G1 Climax)

Best wrestling event - AEW Double or Nothing, AEW All Out, NJPW / ROH G1 Supercard

Best wrestling show - AEW Dynamite

Best feud or angle - Cody / Dustin Rhodes, Cody / Chris Jericho, Kota Ibushi coming from behind with a dodgy ankle to win the G1

Moment of the Year - Jon Moxley debut (Double or Nothing), Moxley puts Omega through a coffee table on Dynamite, Kishin Liger spot at Destruction in Kobe

Best babyface - Will Ospreay, Cody, Kenny Omega

Best heel - Chris Jericho, Jay White, MJF

Funniest moment of the year - Chris Jericho - A little bit of the bubbly, MJF / Jericho back and forth on Dynamite on 13th Nov, Chris Jericho - I've Got A Ticket

Best tag team - Young Bucks, Guerillas of Destiny, Lucha Bros

Best wrestling podcast - Two Faced Wrestling Talk, Wrestling Inc WINCLY podcast

Best use of social media - The Elite, Alicia Atout, Tama Tonga

• Paid Members

Best pro wrestler - Chris Jericho.

Best women's wrestler - Tessa Blanchard

Match of the Year - N/A

Best wrestling event - Impact Homecoming (I haven't watched any WWE PPVs and only a few AEW ones, but as most don't watch Impact at all I figure this would balance things out a bit as it was truly a great PPV)

Best wrestling show - NWA Powerrr

Best feud or angle - Jungle Boy/Jericho , Ken Shamrock's comeback vs Moose (shame about the finish)

Moment of the Year - Cody/Dustin

Best babyface - Tim Storm

Best heel - N/A

Funniest moment of the year - Jericho's bubbly.

Best tag team - Pentagon Jr/Ray Fenix.

Best wrestling podcast - Grilling JR, Wrestle Me.

Best use of social media - N/A

Best pro wrestler - Will Ospreay, Chris Jericho, Cody.

Best women's wrestler - Tessa Blanchard, Shayna Baszler, Rhea Ripley.

Match of the Year - Kazuchika Okada vs Jay White (NJPW/ROH MSG), Shingo Takagi vs Will Ospreay (BOSJ Finals), Kofi Kingston vs Daniel Bryan (Wrestlemania 35).

Best wrestling event - Josh Barnett's Bloodsport, Wrestle Kingdom 13, AEW Double or Nothing.

Best wrestling show - NXT, AEW Dynamite, NWA Powerrr.

Best feud or angle - Cody vs Dustin, Bryan vs Kingston, PAC vs Ben-K.

Moment of the Year - Moxley's debut for AEW, Cody/Dustin after their match, Kota Ibushi wins the G1 Climax.

Best babyface - Will Ospreay, Kofi Kingston, Cody.

Best heel - Chris Jericho, Jay White, Minoru Suzuki.

Funniest moment of the year - Chris Brookes doing a figure-four leglock down a waterslide, the Jericho video with Virgil in it before his match with Cody, and the bit where the Fiend sat up and the camera cut to Seth Rollins screaming "AGHHHHHHHH" for about 5 minutes.

Best tag team - Lucha Brothers, LAX, Zack Sabre Jr and TAICHI.

• Awards Moderator

Best pro wrestler - Adam Cole

Best women's wrestler - Becky Lynch

Match of the Year - Adam Cole Vs Johnny Gargano

Best wrestling event - Wrestlemania 30

Best wrestling show - NXT

Best feud or angle - Becky/Rousey, until they ballsed it up

Moment of the Year - Kofi wins the big one

Best babyface - Becky Lynch

Best heel - Brock

Best use of social media - Becky at the start of the year. Murdered Rousey daily

• Paid Members

Match of the Year

Cody Rhodes vs Dustin Rhodes (AEW whatever)

Best wrestling show

NWA Powerrr

Brock's boombox

Best babyface

Tim Storm

Edited by Devon Malcolm

Best pro wrestler - Will Ospreay, Shingo Takagi, Kazuchika Okada

Best women's wrestler -  Becky Lynch, Shayna Baszler, Rhea Ripley

Match of the Year - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Kenny Omega (Wrestle Kingdom 13), Shingo Takagi vs Will Ospreay (BOSJ Final), Kazuchika Okada vs Will Ospreay (G1 Climax Night 7)

Best wrestling event - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 13, NJPW BOSJ Final, WWE WrestleMania 35

Best wrestling show - NJPW in general, WWE NXT, AEW Dynamite

Best feud or angle - Jushin Thunder Liger/Minoru Suzuki, KENTA attacks Shibata and joins Bullet Club, Kofi Kingston runs the gauntlet for a WWE title shot

Moment of the Year - Kofi wins the WWE championship, Ronda Rousey drives a car while handcuffed, Kazuchika Okada defeats Jay White for the IWGP Heavyweight championship at MSG

Best babyface - Becky Lynch, Kofi Kingston, Will Ospreay

Best heel - Chris Jericho, Jay White, Brock Lesnar

Funniest moment of the year - Chris Jericho’s parody video, Chris Jericho with a little bit of the bubbly, Brock Lesnar and his briefcase boombox

Best tag team - Young Bucks, Lucha Bros, New Day

Best wrestling podcast - Super J Cast, Something to Wrestle, 83 Weeks

Best use of social media - Becky Lynch on Twitter, Xavier Woods’ UpUpDownDown on YouTube 

• Paid Members

Best pro wrestler - Chris Jericho, Cody, Becky Lynch

Best women's wrestler - Becky Lynch

Match of the Year - Cody vs. Dustin (Double Or Nothing)

Best wrestling event - Double Or Nothing

Best wrestling show - NXT, NWA Powerrrrrrrr, AEW Dynamite

Best feud or angle - Cody Rhodes and Gang attack the Inner Circle in the corporate box. Batista "Do I have your attention now?"

Moment of the Year - Becky Lynch - "I choose you"

Best babyface - Becky Lynch, Bray Wyatt

Best heel - Chris Jericho, Bray Wyatt

Funniest moment of the year - Jericho Parody vignette. Firefly Funhouse debut.

Best tag team - lol

Best use of social media - Becky Lynch, Chris Jericho, WWE

• Paid Members

Best pro wrestler

Will Ospreay, David Starr, Cody Rhodes

Best women's wrestler

Becky Lynch, Kris Statlander, Shayna Baszler

Match of the Year

Will Ospreay vs Shingo (BOSJ Final), Jon Moxley vs Tomohiro Ishii (G1 Climax), David Starr vs Jordan Devlin (OTT 5th Year Anniversary)

Best wrestling event 

OTT Homecoming 2, Joey Janela's Spring Break 2: Part 1, GCW Backyward Wrestling

Best wrestling show

AEW Dynamite, NXT, NWA Poweeeerrrrrrrr

Best feud or angle

Shibata clatters KENTA after the latter joined Bullet Club, the Devlin/WALTER/Starr feud, Jericho vs Cody

Moment of the Year

Jon Moxley debuts at AEW Double Or Nothing, Kofi Kingston wins the WWE title, Jushin Liger morphs into Kishin Liger and tries to stab Suzuki 

Best babyface

Cody Rhodes, Nick Gage, Orange Cassidy

Best heel

MJF, Chris Jericho, Shayna Baszler

Jericho's parody of the Rhodes video, Jericho's backstage interview after winning the AEW title (spraying the staff member with champagne in a hugely underrated moment), Luke Hadley accidentally shoots himself in the face with a roman candle

Best tag team

O'Reilly & Fish, Lucha Bros, Jurassic Express

Best wrestling podcast

POST Wrestling, Wrestle Me, GRAPPL Spotlight

Edited by Accident Prone

Best pro wrestler - Chris Jericho (never thought I'd type that in 2019), Brock Lesnar, Daniel Bryan

Best women's wrestler - Shayna Baszler, Rhea Ripley, Becky Lynch.

Match of the Year - Bryan vs Kofi at Mania, the men's Survivor Series match was great fun. Aleister Black vs Buddy Murphy from TLC too.

Best wrestling event - Money in the Bank had some great matches. TakeOver: New York.

Best wrestling show - NXT, I also enjoyed Summerslam a hell of a lot.

Best feud or angle - NXT invasion in the build-up to Survivor Series.

Moment of the Year - for what it meant from a political, social and equality standpoint, Natayla vs Lacey Evans in Saudi was amazing. Kofi winning at Mania. For giving me a dream match I never knew I wanted, Rhea's 'You've never beaten me, bitch! to Bazsler sold that match in a heartbeat.

Best babyface - Kofi Kingston.

Best heel - The New Daniel Bryan (such a shame the heel run was as short as it was), Shayna Baszler. And for being an utterly unlikeable, irredeemably hateful dickhead and for simply being a tool for Vince / Triple H to troll their entire audience, Baron Corbin gets my nod.

Funniest moment of the year - Goldberg vs Dolph at Summerslam was the spear that kept on spearing. Keith Lee appearing beside Finn Balor in the No1 Contender triple threat was brilliantly timed too.

Best tag team - Revival. Undisputed Era. And for seeing how much their title win at mania meant to them and how much it pissed off Sasha Banks, the Iiconics.

Best use of social media - the WWE on Fox account. It's not even close.

• Paid Members

Best pro wrestler - Brock Lesnar, Chris Jericho, Cody Rhodes. 

Match of the Year - Dustin Vs Cody, Jericho Vs Cody, Kofi Vs Bryan

Best wrestling event - Double or Nothing, WrestleMania

Best wrestling show - Austin's Broken Skull stories show, NWA Power,  AEW Dynamite

Best feud or angle

Cody Vs Jericho, 

Moment of the Year

Cody's go home promo ahead of the Jericho match, Kofi winning the big one,  Reigns returns from Leukemia

Best babyface

Tim storm, Cody Rhodes, Reigns. 

Best heel

The New Daniel Bryan, MJF, Corbin. 

Jericho for 'Little bit of the bubbly', Jericho for 'A scarf? Who wears a scarf?' and Jericho and the inner circle parody VT

Best tag team

O'Reilly and Fish/Strong

Best wrestling podcast

Wrestle Me, Grilling JR, Wrestling Observer Radio

Best use of social media - Rusev