All Things Horror Thread

TheSurgeon

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Crystal Lake Memories? it's fantastic but you definitely need to either make a lot of time for it or watch it in two sittings as it's like 7 1/2 hours long.

I watched it in three sittings. It's really excellent. I think much of its appeal, for me, was that you're hearing from a lot of people who never really did anything else of note other than these movies. So they almost all have great affection for them, no matter how bad most of them are. You could see how touched some of the contributors are about how loved they are by fans of the series.

3 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I watched it in three sittings. It's really excellent. I think much of its appeal, for me, was that you're hearing from a lot of people who never really did anything else of note other than these movies. So they almost all have great affection for them, no matter how bad most of them are. You could see how touched some of the contributors are about how loved they are by fans of the series.

That's what got me too, especially hearing how the likes of Betsy Palmer and the early Jason actors actually hated their roles and for years would distance themselves from talking about it or do conventions. The story from part 4 Jason Ted White about wanting to hurt a young Cory Feldman for the simple fact of him being a kid on set was a bit disturbing though

• Paid Members

The Friday the 13th series (along with Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street) are a huge part of what got me into films in the first place. I only ever used to watch Disney garbage or shite comedies but me and a mate started getting into slashers when I was around 14 (we were a bit like those 'how many killings' lads from League of Gentlemen) which lead me down a rabbithole of finding more horror to watch. I honestly don't think I'd have the appreciation for film now if it wasn't for those shite horror films getting me hooked originally.

Special mentions go to part 4 for Crispin Glover's dancing and Part 8 for the punch decapitation.

12 hours ago, DarloKid said:

I had posted this in the dvd and film thread, this however is probably the best place to ask. So, any recommendations for shudder channel what too watch, took advantage of there 99p a month for the next 3 months offer 

Shudder UK is nowhere near as good as its US counterpart, I've just cancelled my subscription. 
Definately watch the Creepshow series though.

Edited by TheSurgeon

On 4/14/2020 at 10:13 PM, DEF said:

Slashers are my bag to. I recommend The Collector, Deep Red, Maniac Cop, Bloody Birthday, A Bay of Blood, Blood Rage, The Mutilator, Death Walks In High Heels, Don't Go In The Woods (so bad it's amazing) and to a lesser extent Sorority Row.

cheers, ill check them out!

I watched Revenge on Shudder the other night. I thought it was great especially the last 20mins, very tense stuff . What let it down from being a all time classic for me was the length, could have done with maybe 15/20 mins shaving off 

12 hours ago, DarloKid said:

cheers, ill check them out!

I watched Revenge on Shudder the other night. I thought it was great especially the last 20mins, very tense stuff . What let it down from being a all time classic for me was the length, could have done with maybe 15/20 mins shaving off 

The Burning too! One of my favourite slasher films! 

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, King of Hamptons said:

The Burning too! One of my favourite slasher films! 

The Burning is ace but I think it's on Arrows channel not shudder.

I watched Midsommer when it came out at the cinema last year, and when I came out I couldn't decide whether I loved it or hated it. Asking the wife, I would have bet my life that she hated it, but she loved it.

Last night, was a first time watch of Hereditary, and i'm still letting it digest, this time we both don't know whether we loved it or hated it.

What's everyone's opinions on these two Ari Aster films?

On 4/15/2020 at 9:38 AM, TheSurgeon said:

Shudder UK is nowhere near as good as its US counterpart, I've just cancelled my subscription. 
Definately watch the Creepshow series though.

You can easily switch between both using a VPN if you watch on Firestick. 

• Paid Members

Midsommar is pretty much like tons of horror these days where almost nothing happens until the end. It's just much longer than most.

The first half of Hereditary is fantastic. The second half really isn't. It took half a film for Ari Aster to disappear up his own arse, which is some going.

13 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The first half of Hereditary is fantastic. The second half really isn't. It took half a film for Ari Aster to disappear up his own arse, which is some going.

I've just asked the same question on facebook, and someone has wrote the exact opposite in that the first hour is boring. Opinions eh? :)

I think overall I enjoyed both films, but they're not films that i'd ever think about revisiting.

Edited by TheSurgeon

On 4/20/2020 at 12:01 PM, David said:

You can easily switch between both using a VPN if you watch on Firestick. 

Good call, just set that up. Gonna resubscribe now as there is loads of good stuff on the US one. 👍

Over the weekend I watched - 

Puppet Master - The Littlest Reich - I've only ever seen the first one, and it's ok-ish. Really enjoyed this one though, fairly gory too, and you can't go wrong with a bit of Barbara Crampton 🖤.
Chopping Mall - 80's-tastic 'slasher' with killer robots and Barbara Crampton 🖤 . A bit like the robot in Rocky IV, but with lasers.