One good film

chokeout

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Wrong

Franco didn’t direct any of those movies. 

From the first post

So what Director / Actor do you hate but have to give them credit for one film?

but the only directed film of his I’ve seen is Disaster Artist. His other works seems to have had mixed critical responses 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m well aware of that. My list was of four directors and their one good movie. 

Snatch is still not great. It may be tainted by the fact that it seems to be the movie of choice for Carling drinking, Henri Lloyd shirt wearing, Bulldog tattoo’d members of the EDL which has always put me off it. 

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Snatch is still not great. It may be tainted by the fact that it seems to be the movie of choice for Carling drinking, Henri Lloyd shirt wearing, Bulldog tattoo’d members of the EDL which has always put me off it. 

Better them than 'ze Germans'.

(That was the weirdest thing about that film - were they trying to make that a catchphrase or something?)

Both Sherlock films are decent, and as @Factotum says Man from UNCLE was a real treat.

Man, this is hard.  Almost everyone's had at least a couple of good turns, I guess that's why they're stars.

Richard Kelly and Donnie Darko?  Personally didn't even really like that film, but he's certainly not got near a sniff of quality since.

• Paid Members

Michael Bay's sort of just managed to squeeze past the criteria, as The Rock and Bad Boys are good (I've not seen BB2, but whilst I've read/heard a lot of people saying it's good, recently I'm getting the opposite back from quite a few others), and the rest of his output is shite.

EDIT: Just taken a quick look at his filmography, and I see he did Pain & Gain. Was that any good?

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Loki said:

Both Sherlock films are decent

I remember the first one had a dogshit trailer. Really annoyed me and put me off the film. When I saw it I was pleasantly surprised - not blown away, but it wasn't bad. Second one was a step up.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

EDIT: Just taken a quick look at his filmography, and I see he did Pain & Gain. Was that any good?

Yeah it was although, obviously, not without its faults.

Michael Bay's later work is SO bad, it almost retrospectively goes back in time and undoes The Rock and Bad Boys.  He's my least favourite director and I hate the sound in his films too.  If I could wipe one director's work out of history, regretfully with respect to The Rock, I'd wipe Bay.

Edit: as DMal says, Pain and Gain is actually not bad, but still.  Pearl Harbour, The Island, all the Transformers... christ alive.

2 hours ago, Loki said:

Michael Bay's later work is SO bad, it almost retrospectively goes back in time and undoes The Rock and Bad Boys.  He's my least favourite director and I hate the sound in his films too.  If I could wipe one director's work out of history, regretfully with respect to The Rock, I'd wipe Bay.

Edit: as DMal says, Pain and Gain is actually not bad, but still.  Pearl Harbour, The Island, all the Transformers... christ alive.

Pearl Harbour may be my most miserable cinema experience, and I sat through both Matrix sequels. Absolutely fucking loath that movie.

Didn't the studio sued over The Island? Even I managed to peg it as a blatant Clonus ripoff but with EXPLOSIONS. And I had only seen bits of it years earlier.

• Paid Members
On 7/10/2019 at 8:14 AM, Hannibal Scorch said:

I thought Baywatch was shit. Another comedy where if you had seen the trailer then you saw every funny bit. The last big American comedies to make me actually laugh out loud during it were probably Game Night and Booksmart

17 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Gordon did Horrible Bosses and Baywatch which were both quite good. Certainly not turkeys

That's weird, when you were replying to Devon saying he liked it, you said it was shit, but now it's quite good? Mask slipping? 

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, gmoney said:

That's weird, when you were replying to Devon saying he liked it, you said it was shit, but now it's quite good? Mask slipping? 

"I" think it was shit. Well, shit was a strong reaction. Having seen the trailer and thinking it was going to be hilarious, it was a massive let down, because it showed all the really funny bits in it. This forum seems to enjoy it though, and as I said, neither were turkeys. I personally thought Horrible Bosses was pretty good, but then I probably haven't re-watched it in a while.

Still, that's a weird stalk. If I knew you were going to go back through my history I would have stated it wasn't my view it was good. There you go. Also, what mask?

Archived