The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PowerButchi said:

I'm going to sound like David here, but where are the BAME wrestlers towards the top of the card? 

There's a bit of a discrepancy. 

Suzuki is in a tag with Lance Archer with Mox and Kingston , Power House Hobbs is facing CM Punk, Lucha Bros and Proud and Powerful are in a tag against Private Party and Scorpio Sky as Men Of the Year are taking on Jericho and Hager. I think that's a fair bit of representation. 

• Moderators

No one who's tippy top though, to be fair. 

A tag team match, something for CM Punk to do, tag teams. It's still quite WASP. And nothing much there getting pushed pushed, if you get me. 

If you were asked to mention AEW's top 10 full time stars, would any of them be BAME? 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

No one who's tippy top though, to be fair. 

A tag team match, something for CM Punk to do, tag teams. It's still quite WASP. And nothing much there getting pushed pushed, if you get me. 

If you were asked to mention AEW's top 10 full time stars, would any of them be BAME? 

I would agree with you on that. They did try pushing Scorpio Sky early on as a main eventer, and was the first tag team champ with Kaz, but it didn't work out. Eddie Kingston had a top tier feud with Mox, but has slipped a bit down the card again. Private Party, again early doors had a big upset win against the bucks, but they have fallen behind acts like The Acclaimed and Top Flight. Nyla Rose was also really dominant, and then they put her with Vikki.

So Lucha Bros, definetly. They have been at the top of the tag devision most of AEW's lifespan. They also shift a lot of toys. But a lot of their BAME talent are still not ready or too green. Powerhouse Hobbs will be massive one day, but he is too green still. But being paired with Punk will definitely give him a boost.

On the counter argument, What has WWE done in the last 20 years? Since the Rock there have been few BAME performers at the top. Granted in the last year they have suddenly started pushing BAME talent, but with the exception of The New Day, a lot of talented was ignored and wasted in favour of the same old. 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Moderators

Eddie Guerrero, Del Rio, Mysterio were always pushed to be fair. Also Dave Bautista. At one point Mysterio and Bautista were their only legitimate draws in the mid to late 00s. Jinder Mahal was World Champion. Not forgetting Roman Reigns for the past 7 years. And that's WWE under pushing. WWE has a terrible record but they've a better one. 

Just I was watching AEW on the hub tonight, and it stands out that there's not many people of colour in decent positions.

Edited by PowerButchi

Tony Khan owns the fucking thing. How much more of a decent position do you want?

In terms of on-screen, they pushed and pushed to much resentment Asian women and Brandi Rhodes. They have given many tag teams of colour a break in the business, most of whom are too raw to take the mantle but will be future stars. Fucking hell, they gave Dante Martin a match against Kenny Omega in which he pushed him all the way. They've got the Latinos covered with Lucha Brothers, Pride and Powerful, Andrade and Sammy. All of whom are prominently featured on their shows, They've got Mark Henry, Taz, Excalibur all doing commentary roles. 

OK so the world title picture isn't Scorpio Sky v Sonny Kiss, so fucking what? The people they have at their disposal who are ready to main event to the level that Omega/Moxley/Jericho have done since AEW's inception are white. If, and when, somebody is ready - they'll get their chance regardless of colour.

Why are we even mentioning skin colour? I'd not noticed, but I doubt very much anyone is backstage giving it 'I'm not getting pushed because I'm black'. Why are people so keen to look for racism when it doesn't exist?

Powerhouse Hobbs, Scorpio Sky, Mark Henry, Taz, Jade Cargill, Lucha Bros, Sammy, Andrade, Guerrero family, Nyla Rose, Tony Khan, Brandi Rhodes, P&P, plus a whole host of Japanese wrestlers and plenty in the women's division. Hardly underused

• Paid Members

Thought the show was PPV quality but by the time it got to the main event the crowd were getting worn out. Time limit draw or not I’d have had Omega vs Danielson go on last and finish with the brawl to promote the tag on Dynamite. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

You’ve done both. Why even mention WWE?

Le sigh. It’s relevant if your concern is with the representation of POC. Why would you focus on one company. It’s an issue within the industry, so you either talk about other companies for perspective or you ignore a problem elsewhere.

• Paid Members

THAT was incredible. That opener was fantastic. I felt it took a bit of time to pick up steam, but once it did it didn’t disappoint. 7 stars. Can’t wait for the rematch. Also, that crowd was loud. Like, a good Wrestlemania event year loud. I can only surmise that Rampage will sound like crickets in the crowd. 

Punks interview was fine. Nothing to really add. MJF/Pillman was a good outing but probably the weakest match of the night.

Why was Cody dressed as Turboman? I think we all assumed he’d get his revenge win, so to see him not was a pleasant surprise. Thought they both had a great match actually. What I did note, Crowd HATED Cody.

FTR v Sting/Allin was a fine tag match, FTR are a really good team I just feel that in a bloated roster they will get lost in the shuffle.

Ruby/Britt was a really enjoyable main event, just felt a bit rushed. Wasn’t overly keen on the ending, but leaves the door open for a rematch I suppose.

Omega Danielson was absolutely amazing! And the noise and visuals of that venue were outstanding. Delighted that match went on first! I only watched that live and will check out the rest this evening. I guess we know our Full Gear main event...