Things that you know will be shit

Gus Mears

21 minutes ago, Jazzy G said:

Apparently Simon Nye is attached to write that Cheers remake. Hopefully it's not as bad as what Americans do to our sitcoms. 

Or what we sometimes do to theirs. We're not innocent of absolutely cracking up a yank show. Interestingly the Americans get a bit too much stick I always felt about retooling British shows. For every Men Behaving Badly or Coupling, they managed to adapt stuff like Steptoe and Man About the House for their cultures and tastes and made them work. I only just discovered the UK tried to do a version of The Golden Girls and it sounds bloody awful.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Chili said:

The Golden Girls and it sounds bloody awful.

Brighton Belles if memory serves. It was during a period in the 90’s when ITV were obsessed with trying to get a remake of a US hit. Russ Abbott’s Married for Life (Married With Children), Days Like These (That 70’s Show) and the only one to be a success The Upper Hand (Who’s The Boss).

• Paid Members

Also, the Archie Bunker series were based on the Alf Garnett ones, and were quite successful.

Did the Yanks ever remake OFAH? I always felt that one would particularly appeal to American sensibilities and slot right into that whole American Dream narrative.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Also, the Archie Bunker series were based on the Alf Garnett ones, and were quite successful.

Did the Yanks ever remake OFAH? I always felt that one would particularly appeal to American sensibilities and slot right into that whole American Dream narrative.

They tried. Most recently with John Leguizamo and it’s was something 

• Members
2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Did the Yanks ever remake OFAH? I always felt that one would particularly appeal to American sensibilities and slot right into that whole American Dream narrative

They tried and we had a bit of discussion about it here. I think @Chest Rockwellwatched some of the pilot and said it wasn't too bad.