Television Holy Grails

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Eranamus Microman, Round The Bend and Palace Hill. Don’t think either have ever been repeated/released and only Round The Bend I have more vivid memories of

Round The Bend was crazy. Doc Croc and some of the parodies of stuff they did were quite imaginative. 

• Awards Moderator
10 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Eranamus Microman, Round The Bend and Palace Hill. Don’t think either have ever been repeated/released and only Round The Bend I have more vivid memories of

Erasmus Microman. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0147764/

Round The Bend was brilliant, very influential on me. Like a TV version of Oink! magazine. 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Tommy! said:

Has more than the 1 episode of Heil Honey I'm Home ever seen the light of day? 

Not in full. Eight episodes were recorded, and apparently there's clips out there from the unaired episodes, but only the pilot exists in full. I have seen an animated title sequence that wasn't on the pilot episode, but was intended to be used for the series, though.

Apparently a YouTuber has copies of the remaining tapes, but they've not surfaced yet.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

2 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Erasmus Microman. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0147764/

Round The Bend was brilliant, very influential on me. Like a TV version of Oink! magazine. 

I remember Erasmus Microman very well - he was played by Ken Campbell, whom I mainly remember from Fawlty Towers "The Anniversary" episode, but he was in loads of stuff.

Round The Bend was fucking insane. Basically that grotty kids' toilet humour that was so popular in the 80s - like you say, Onyx, a TV version of Oink!, which I also used to read.

I don't know if anyone else remembers, but there was a series of programmes called Your Mother Wouldn't Like It, and it was basically the kids' arm of "Yoof TV". It seemed to be an umbrella brand, because I'm almost certain that Palace Hill and Round The Bend came under it.

EDIT: Seems Palace Hill was a spin-off. But Round The Bend wasn't, it was actually made by the people who did make Oink! so that explains a lot. 

Edited by Carbomb

My Holy Grail is something I don’t think I’ll ever see again.

Many moons ago, a friend and I had a favourite VHS compilation of documentaries that we would watch when stoned. One of the things on here was a programme called Lifters, which I think he taped off UK Horizons or one of those now defunct channels.

It followed shoplifters, and documented their lives and one lad in particular called Simon who was absolute TV gold. Memorable scenes included him turning up to a new job (his first ever I think) in a Millwall shirt, collar up and then being sent home after half a day for attacking his boss with a plank of wood, and being filmed in the back of a car on the way home from his parole hearing, screwing up his parole plan and throwing it out of the window with the immortal words: “See ya later parole, no one gives a fuck about ya!” (This would become something we would paraphrase for years)

I have searched for years. I’ve tried every single archive website. I actually didn’t even know the name of it until a few months ago when I found it on the BBC Genome website. I have even emailed the production company, to no avail. I would give anything to see it again.

My true Holy Grail.

The original season of the UK Max Headroom episodes are lost, being music video shows they were never going to be released on any kind of home format and we're still waiting for any bootleg recordings.

Now the later two seasons are around but they're being held by some archivists who won't just release them to anybody, which sucks, just upload them as an anonymous torrent or something.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

The original season of the UK Max Headroom episodes are lost, being music video shows they were never going to be released on any kind of home format and we're still waiting for any bootleg recordings.

Now the later two seasons are around but they're being held by some archivists who won't just release them to anybody, which sucks, just upload them as an anonymous torrent or something.

I always thought Max Headroom was really cool, do you know any good places to read about his history?

It's crazy that he had two different drama series, he hosted a music show, had a hit single, was the face of loads of advertising campaigns etc, he was everywhere when I was a kid.

Also who would be the "archivists" who are holding on to them? Are they people with the only copies taped off tv or do they somehow own the original tapes? Doesn't it belong to the channel it was aired on? Sounds interesting. 

Edited by Bellenda Carlisle

Just now, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I always thought Max Headroom was really cool, do you know any good places to read about his history?

It's crazy that he had two different drama series, he hosted a music show, had a hit single, was the face of loads of advertising campaigns etc, he was everywhere when I was a kid.

This page seems to be the best I've found so far, they're also the guys with a lot of the episodes. http://www.maxheadroom.com/index.php?title=Welcome_to_the_Max_Headroom_Chronicles!

And here's a documentary from 2010

I think I've got all of the Round The Bend's on dvd. Downloaded them years ago when the guy who created them posted them on his website.

Actually, here is the site, if you've got Flash on your computer it might still work:
http://www.tonyhusband.co.uk/rtbvideowall.html

I think this should give you the direct link to download the files (just change the numbers for the different episodes):
http://www.tonyhusband.co.uk/flash/rtb/series1/s1e1.flv
You'll most likely need to convert them from Flash to a more viewable format if you want to burn them etc...

Edited by TibBo
more info

• Paid Members

Round the Bend has been easily available over YouTube for years. How is it a rarity?

Out of interest, I went searching for something that was on Children's BBC for a while when I was a kid called Treasure in Malta. I think I only watched it because it was made in Malta and we'd been there on holidays a few times.

From what I found out on Wikipedia, it was apparently edited down from a Children's Film Foundation movie into a TV serial but the original film may be lost even though the series is on YouTube. It was made in 1963, why the hell were BBC1 showing that in the late 80s on CBBC?

Also, the uploads on YouTube are in four parts yet the Wikipedia entry says it was released in six.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_in_Malta

I also noticed there's hardly any footage of Pob's Programme about, and I can't see any DVD releases of it anywhere. It'll be one of those that some kid taped all the episodes of and they're up in his or her mum's loft waiting to be rediscovered. What's Channel 4's archiving like in general? As shit as BBC's?