Stupidest Spot Ever?

WyattSheepMask

Defending the whip off the ropes is the wrestling shit hill I will die on, all while lamenting the fact no one knows how to use it anymore.

You drag the guy into the ropes to knock him off balance, catching him with a strike or throw as he tries to catch his footing and is less able to defend himself. You don't stand there 8 feet away from him in the middle of the ring waiting for him to reach you. It's a classic case of modern wrestlers knowing the manoeuvre but not understanding it.

That's why Bret's buckle bump was so good. It worked with his gasping-for-breath selling, so it always looked like he was too fucked to stop himself.

If anything, getting whipped into the corner and staying there is dumber. Either take it in the chest or sell the post in the back, don't hang around for your opponent, if he's not followed you in.

• Paid Members

Can we throw "wrestlers turnbuckling themselves before they attack an opponent in the opposite corner" onto this particular bonfire?

I'll throw my hat in there with the Irish Whip adding the fact that when someone drops to the floor, for the thrown wrestler to jump over them, there is almost never an attempt to trip them properly. The move should be - whip... drop down to TRIP THE OPPONENT... etc. Nothing looks like an actual fight anymore. 

Following on from the Irish Whip irritation is that HIDEOUS sequence that Ospreay is guilty of. Flippy-floppy, spring boarding, nip up, stand to attention with fists up. AGH! Made worse when the other guy does the exact same sequence and the crowd clap it every time! It looks so contrived. 

Whilst I am at it, 3 tombstones and kick out. Please stop doing that! A finisher is only a finisher if it er finishes. 

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 6:45 AM, PJ Power said:

For me that spot is not so much stupid, but reckless & dangerous. As you say, Mike Syndall is completely unprotected having his head being driven into the mat with the momentum of Spyral's whole body weight behind it. The fact that Syndall was 'trapped' into taking the move makes it worse as no wrestler with an IQ above 70 is going to be willing to be at the receiving end of that move, and that the "only" injuries he suffered from were a broken thumb, getting knocked out and a concussion was a little fortunate - that move could have legit broken Syndall's neck or cause head injuries akin to a car crash and killed him. As for Spyral himself it's lucky for him that he was able to get all the momentum in that move to effectively carry the weight of two people as had he not been able to, he'd have been in trouble himself. Anyway, the bitch called Karma (no relation to Awsome Kong) eventually met him.

Also for the mention of the Irish Whip, the only time I've seen the move as having legitimacy as a believable manoeuvre in the ring was when Bret Hart would take it, being flung front first into the turnbuckles, no landing it turning around before hitting the corner. The way Hart took it would make it look that it would knock the wind out of you. It's also a bit more believable in areas surrounding the ring where competitors are often whipped front-first into the steel steps, occasionally the barricade (and often going over them with the momentum), a third person holding an inanimate object like a belt or the ring bell etc. Otherwise, yeah that gif of Santino mocking the Irish Whip into the ropes does say a bit.

Anyone who takes liberties with another wrestler is a shit-head. If it were me he'd be leaving in an ambulance.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

I'll throw my hat in there with the Irish Whip adding the fact that when someone drops to the floor, for the thrown wrestler to jump over them, there is almost never an attempt to trip them properly. The move should be - whip... drop down to TRIP THE OPPONENT... etc. Nothing looks like an actual fight anymore.

We need more counter attacks and reversals to both dropdowns and leapfrogs. Stop yourself running and drop an elbow or kick them in the balls on the way down or something.

• Paid Members

I can think of maybe two or three occasions in recent years where I actually applauded because someone was actually tripped by a drop-down following an Irish Whip, particularly if it wasn't done as a comedy spot. 

There's a lot in wrestling that people do because that's what's done, but with little thought to why it's done. 

My other pet hate in that area around Irish Whips is the push off from a headlock into the ropes. It's good because it's a way to get back to that "send them into the ropes" spot without relying on an Irish Whip (which a lot of wrestlers try and avoid these days), but the psychology behind it is usually lacking. There's no sense of a struggle to escape the hold, the headlock is just a meaningless means-to-an-end to get to the ropes. 

Allow it time. Sell the headlock. Try and slip out, but they're grips too tight. Struggle. Hit the ropes, and really force them off. It should be an absolute last resort, because physically forcing a headlock off up over your head is Cauliflower Ear City at best. Particularly if the next spot is your opponent catching you with a shoulder block on the rebound, it shouldn't be because you stood there like a lemon waiting for them, it should be because you were momentarily dazed by the after-effects of the headlock, still shaking out the cobwebs, gasping for ear, checking both your ears are intact.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members
On 5/22/2019 at 12:19 PM, Hannibal Scorch said:

Found it 

That's wreckless and dumb, but the stupidest part in my view seems to be him knocking the guy out with a shit looking shoulder breaker while he sets everything up.

• Paid Members

What about that clip of Matt Riddle, Roderick Strong and Velveteen Dream all superkicking each other at the same time in a little triangle? I saw it on Twitter the other day and couldn't decide whether I liked it or not. I'll try and find it when I get home. 

On 5/21/2019 at 7:45 AM, PJ Power said:

For me that spot is not so much stupid, but reckless & dangerous. As you say, Mike Syndall is completely unprotected having his head being driven into the mat with the momentum of Spyral's whole body weight behind it. The fact that Syndall was 'trapped' into taking the move makes it worse as no wrestler with an IQ above 70 is going to be willing to be at the receiving end of that move, and that the "only" injuries he suffered from were a broken thumb, getting knocked out and a concussion was a little fortunate - that move could have legit broken Syndall's neck or cause head injuries akin to a car crash and killed him. As for Spyral himself it's lucky for him that he was able to get all the momentum in that move to effectively carry the weight of two people as had he not been able to, he'd have been in trouble himself. Anyway, the bitch called Karma (no relation to Awsome Kong) eventually met him.

Also for the mention of the Irish Whip, the only time I've seen the move as having legitimacy as a believable manoeuvre in the ring was when Bret Hart would take it, being flung front first into the turnbuckles, no landing it turning around before hitting the corner. The way Hart took it would make it look that it would knock the wind out of you. It's also a bit more believable in areas surrounding the ring where competitors are often whipped front-first into the steel steps, occasionally the barricade (and often going over them with the momentum), a third person holding an inanimate object like a belt or the ring bell etc. Otherwise, yeah that gif of Santino mocking the Irish Whip into the ropes does say a bit.

Didn’t realise Spyral was quadriplegic from a 630 leg drop gone wrong in practise and died