Stupidest Spot Ever?

WyattSheepMask

5 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

The Moonsault Styles Clash is bad because Mike Sydal didn't want to take it but Spyral did it anyway. It knocked him out, gave him a serious concussion, broke his thumb and put him on the shelf for a while.

Another guy in the match, Devon Moore, was selling on the outside and all he could hear was Mike repeatedly saying "No no no, don't do it!". 

Spyral was put in a wheelchair a few years later after landing badly on a 630 and then died soon after.

Man, the board is depressing today.

Awful spot, absolutely horrendous and much worse given the background/insight 

• Paid Members

There's a spot from some hillbilly IWA deathmatch tournament where someone gets stabbed through the tongue with a pair of scissors. It's the most disgusting and idiotic spot I've seen. There's genuinely 30 people in the audience. I won't post a vid of it because no one should see it ever. All the IWA Carnage Cups have tons of ridiculous bumps onto concrete, glass etc. with no one in attendance. At least the CZW Tournament of Death's have about 1000 people there and sells high on DVD. 

7 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

There's genuinely 30 people in the audience. I won't post a vid of it because no one should see it ever. All the IWA Carnage Cups have tons of ridiculous bumps onto concrete, glass etc. with no one in attendance. At least the CZW Tournament of Death's have about 1000 people there and sells high on DVD. 

I have never really understood the relevance of "crowd size/risk" theory?

Surely a stupid move is a stupid move and if you end up in a wheelchair or dead, does it really matter if there were 30 or 1,000 in attendance?

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

Surely a stupid move is a stupid move and if you end up in a wheelchair or dead, does it really matter if there were 30 or 1,000 in attendance?

If a braindead turd is dropped on his head through a glass table from 40 feet and nobody's there to see it, does he at least get enough money to cover his hospital bills?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

Yeah because at least if you do a stupid bump (and don't end your career or injure yourself) in front of a sizeable crowd you can win new fans, sell merch, get more eyes on you leading to more bookings etc. and more money. If you do it in front of a handful of people then there's no gain.

4 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Yeah because at least if you do a stupid bump (and don't end your career or injure yourself) in front of a sizeable crowd you can win new fans, sell merch, get more eyes on you leading to more bookings etc. and more money. If you do it in front of a handful of people then there's no gain.

I could understand it, if it was done in the main event at Wrestlemania or something similar (Foley v Undertaker HIAC springs to mind).

I am talking about the REALLY dangerous moves at small events. Most shows are recorded in some fashion today, So you would get eyes on you when the footage is released and sell the merch/receive the bookings etc. that you mention. So in my mind, a stupidly dangerous move is more or less likely to reap the same rewards, regardless of the live attendance (assuming everyone walks away uninjured?).

• Paid Members

Wrestling NEEDS wild stuff happening in front of 300 people. It keeps the indy scene vibrant and raw, and keeps diversity on the cards whilst also separating itself from the stale, stagnant, clean cut presentation of the bigger companies. If you're a new fan, you're absolutely going to the next show and you're probably bringing other people with you. 

Also it's worth pointing out that whenever a spectacular high spot gets traction online and people bemoan it, there's always one thing lacking and that's context. Is it a random spot during a random match OR is it part of an-going blood feud? Is it an angle to build to the next show? Is this is the final match to settle the score between two bitter rivals? 90% of the time the answer is yes.

For example, whilst the Lio Rush clip got lambasted, it was done within the context of the feud and match. He was facing his long-time rival Joey Janela at a massive CZW show (the company where they made a name for themselves by knocking seven shades of shit out of each other). They had worked their way from the opening match together all the way to the top of the card, and now at the top of that companies' mountain, they were finally ending the feud with one last blow-off match before Lio headed off to WWE. 

So whilst the story they were going for didn't exactly land, it was still done with a story in mind, and wasn't some random spot on some random match on some random show.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

For example, whilst the Lio Rush clip got lambasted, it was done within the context of the feud and match. He was facing his long-time rival Joey Janela at a massive CZW show (the company where they made a name for themselves by knocking seven shades of shit out of each other). They had worked their way from the opening match together all the way to the top of the card, and now at the top of that companies' mountain, they were finally ending the feud with one last blow-off match before Lio headed off to WWE. 

This makes that worse as it instantly undermines everything that comes before it in my mind. 

For me there is a distinction between stupid, wreckless and needlessly risky (that's not to say something can't be more than one of those at once.)

There is no context that can help that no sell for me, because it's stupid. No selling something can work, Luger or Sting firing up with Flairs chops for example, but it needs to be well thought out, well placed and well executed to not shit on everything else. This was none of those things. 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

There's a spot from some hillbilly IWA deathmatch tournament where someone gets stabbed through the tongue with a pair of scissors. It's the most disgusting and idiotic spot I've seen. There's genuinely 30 people in the audience. I won't post a vid of it because no one should see it ever. All the IWA Carnage Cups have tons of ridiculous bumps onto concrete, glass etc. with no one in attendance. At least the CZW Tournament of Death's have about 1000 people there and sells high on DVD. 

wasn't the tongue spot more like the Jeff Hardy ear thing where they simply fed the arm of the scissor through a hole that was already in the tonge from piercing? he didnt literally stab the bloke in the tonge...did he?

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

So whilst the story they were going for didn't exactly land, it was still done with a story in mind, and wasn't some random spot on some random match on some random show.

I think when you're talking about a spot so obviously stupid and counter-productive, the surrounding story and feud are completely irrelevant though. Regardless of what the Rush / Janela story was, nobody should be doing that.

38 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

wasn't the tongue spot more like the Jeff Hardy ear thing where they simply fed the arm of the scissor through a hole that was already in the tonge from piercing? he didnt literally stab the bloke in the tonge...did he?

I've seen spots like that done in places like CZW, IWA and BJW with syringes through the cheeks rather that scissors. The only scissors one i've seen was a horrible one when they opened them up and used them like a knife to slash someones arms open. It was fucking disgusting and I think ended pretty badly. Why would you agree to take something like that?