Fatty Facesitter's Snooker Loopy thread

Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members

Fantastic tournament again this year. I've been lucky enough to cover it in person for the last three editions, and missing out this year has given me probably the worst case of FOMO ever, especially with the media circus following him round last night. But then again, I got to sit back, relax and take it all in with a beer in hand and in the comfort of my skids. 

Snooker is a lot like wrestling. These days there's so much of it (from June onwards there are tons of tournaments when the new season arrives) and a lot of it can feel quite stale. But when it's good, my God, it's bloody wonderful. 

I'm going for a knockabout at my local club tomorrow and genuinely considering treating myself to some proper coaching lessons. It's fun playing for shits and giggles but I'd love to be able to at least attempt to be able to record a break higher than 12. 

5 hours ago, stewdogg said:

His whining about not feeling it, being bored etc, is frustrating and makes me scream at the telly to give up then! Then he plays, and he is absolutely unreal. He has got to be up there with one of the best British sportspeople of all time. Mercurial. 

I always think those comments are a little bit of a defense mechanism with Ronnie, like he is trying to convince himself he doesn't care that much so if he loses, it's ok.  He is notoriously hard on himself and I think all this pretence makes it a little easier for him to swallow. He also constantly says that he will retire once he stops enjoying it and he's still playing so is obviously enjoying it - I think you can see that in how he plays too.

• Paid Members

Part of his boredom is that he does get asked the same questions at the majority of events he’s at. He’s got absolutely zero patience, so when you’re trudged into the dingy press centre and you’re met with - 

“How do you reflect on the the match?”

”What are your thoughts ahead of the next match?”

”Can you win this tournament?”

”Would it be special to beat another record?”

”Are you still into your running, mate?”

- he’ll give you short shrift. 

The key is to keep him interested. For instance if he’s played a young opponent like Zhao Xintong and you ask him who Zhao’s playing style reminds him off, he’ll get quite analytical about greats of the past like Paul Hunter and so forth. Or, ask him about something completely unrelated to snooker, like another sporting great and how he might compare to them in his own setting, and again he’ll compare and contrast the differences in mentality, preparation, etc. Also he loves talking about himself in that context. 

• Paid Members

There's talk today of a 'new' Crucible being constructed, connected to the current one via bridge. The new-build will have something like a 3,000 seating capacity, a museum and a facility below the main stage where qualifiers might be hosted. So in theory, you'd have to work your way through the bowels of the arena to make it to the main stage. It seems like the plan would be to host matches in both venues, so you'd still get the classic Crucible and turn that into a one-table setup. Being designed by the same architect who organised Manchester City's complex around Eastlands. Here's a link to some of the plans being drawn up.

To be honest I think this is a great move for all parties if it comes off - you keep the old Crucible magic and build an epic new facility which will draw thousands, make the World Championship an even bigger entity and it stays in the same settings that have made it famous. 

Some pictures and an article here: https://metro.co.uk/2022/05/07/plans-unveiled-for-new-world-snooker-championship-venue-attached-to-the-crucible-16603240/

Also I've been watching little bits of the Seniors - Jimmy White's just battered Rory McLeod, knocking in a 138 break in the process, and finishing him off with a Trump-esque naughty snooker clearance at the end. The man is 60. Long live the 'Wind. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

These days Jimmy seems to play his best at the world seniors. He still believes he can win tournaments on the main tour but we all know his chances are almost zero. But it's good to see him dominating at the seniors over these last few year and lift a trophy in the crucible. Hopefully he can win another today

• 3 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

You lot probably already know this but I happened upon this Granada documentary about the 1978 Embassy final. Proper crusty old TV washed with the fug of nicotine. 

• 4 weeks later...

Liang Wenbo has been banned until the 1st of August due to being convicted of domestic assault. The report said he kicked and punched a woman in Sheffield last July. I always liked Wenbo. Not so much now. He seemed completely mad and could be a really good player.

He was suspended before the conviction which is why he didn't play his world championship qualifier, so by the 1st of August you'll have been banned for 4 months but it still seems ridiculously light. Like you say a big part of the ban is in the off season. 

• 3 months later...

It was good to see the mixed doubles at the weekend. I felt it was lacking a little something but still good that the tournament is back after a long time and hopefully it'll become a yearly tournament. The most entertaining thing for me was Robertson and Mink who pretty much didn't stand a chance after Saturdays play coming back and wining the tournament. I think Mink stands a good chance on the main tour. Seems to have decent break building ability and she's still young with a lot of years ahead of her. 

The British Open is on ITV this week for anyone interested. The biggest thing to happen so far has been Ursenbacher beating O'Sullivan. He's not done a whole lot in his career so far but that's now 3 wins he's got over O'Sullivan.

4 hours ago, Pork Pie said:

It was good to see the mixed doubles at the weekend. I felt it was lacking a little something but still good that the tournament is back after a long time and hopefully it'll become a yearly tournament. The most entertaining thing for me was Robertson and Mink who pretty much didn't stand a chance after Saturdays play coming back and wining the tournament. I think Mink stands a good chance on the main tour. Seems to have decent break building ability and she's still young with a lot of years ahead of her. 

The British Open is on ITV this week for anyone interested. The biggest thing to happen so far has been Ursenbacher beating O'Sullivan. He's not done a whole lot in his career so far but that's now 3 wins he's got over O'Sullivan.

I watched a good chunk of the mixed doubles as well and must say I enjoyed it. I know what you mean by missing something though, sometimes when I was watching it I thought it was reminiscent of an exhibition match. I'm also a fan of Mink now as well after watching her over the weekend.

Currently watching the British Open as well as and where I can. Couple of big hitters in Ronnie O'Sullivan and John Higgins eliminated early but that always seems to happen in these tournaments.