Fatty Facesitter's Snooker Loopy thread

Fatty Facesitter

1 hour ago, Pork Pie said:

O'sullivan has been nominated for the BBC sports personality of the year award. As much as I'd like to see him win I think it'll be Beth Mead who totally deserves it as well. 

Agreed. I'd like to see him win it more for an acknowledgment of a career but Ronnie himself has come out and said he's not bothered if he wins it. Whether he truly means it is anyone's guess though.

Mead won which I can't disagree with. Totally deserving of it. O'sullivan does deserve all the praise he gets though. I know snooker isn't a physical sport but not many sports people can say they're still at the top and winning world titles 30 years after turning professional. 

January and February are looking good. Loads of decent tournaments coming up.

• Paid Members

Indeed one of the reasons O'Sullivan has been able to stay at the top of the profession for three decades is on the count of his physical health - his running and keeping in shape has benefitted him massively both physically and mentally. Players like Neil Robertson have also adopted different physical-fitness approaches to keep in shape, which has several mental benefits including increased concentration around the table. Judd Trump is an avid gym goer too as I understand it. Mark Allen's physical transformation and weight loss has inspired some of the best form of his career of late. There's definitely something to be said for looking after yourself off the table physically and translating that into success in what's deemed a non-physical sport. 

...I'd still like to see more characters like Big Bill Werbeniuk necking 20 pints a session though, or a non-cheating Stephen Lee spanking the cue ball with the immense power of his weighty mass. 

Ronnie tells a story in his first autobiography on how the absoloute best snooker either him or Jimmy White have ever played was in Ronnie Wood's gaf completely off their nut. 

Excruciating first afternoon of the Masters for Robertson. He played some truly horrible shots, seemed to be having cue issues, a fly had a go at him at one point, and all after driving halfway to the venue without his cue! He done well to fight back at the end. 

It's still funny watching Murphy try really hard to be snooker's weird Derren Brown/John Cena hybrid but I've typically decided on a whim now that I'm quite fond of him. If I was a snooker player I'd absolutely be commentating some of my own good shots. Fair fucks to the fella. 

• Paid Members

He's an absolute enigma. But unlike John Cena who I think at least had some self-awareness of why he could be deemed a bit cringeworthy, I genuinely think Shaun loves himself to the point where he'd surgically remove his ribcage in order to self-fellate. Mark Selby told a great story about meeting him for the first time when they played in the same youth set up. He was impeccably dressed and they used to call him the Prime Minister because of how well spoken he was. You can see it now - a suited and booted Shaun Murphy rocking up for practice pulling those silly faces he makes when he's looking for a path out of a snooker. 

And yet when he pieces it all together, he's really good to watch. He's also a fierce competitor at heart, and you occasionally see this when he lets his guard down. He wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire in the middle of a match - he'd through petrol on you and tell you that snooker is a sport, it's theatre, and his opponents would do well to remember that. An animal. Watch him!