Fatty Facesitter's Snooker Loopy thread

Fatty Facesitter

Sometimes I find Murphy quite unlikeable but then I'm reminded of how lucky we are to have him in the game. He's a good character to have around, he cares about the sport and he's got one of the best cue actions I've ever seen. 

Overall I think it's likely that he's a very decent human being who's just got a bit of a quirky side. But you'd also not be surprised if it came out that he's a serial killer with bodies buried under his patio.

I'm happy for Vafaei. Twice he's defeated Selby at the UK Championship and now at the Masters. It can't be long before he wins a big tournament.

Edited by Pork Pie

Jack Lisowski is such a joy to watch. And his safety play has gotten so much better. I'm looking forward to his match with Vafaei with one of them reaching the semi-final. 

I'm sure Higgins will do enough to stick around the top 16 for a while yet but he really seems to be in decline. Then again he did reach the world championship semi-final less than a year ago so he's not out of the game yet.

Hawkins beating Allen 6-0 was a bit of a surprise.

• Paid Members

Ryan Day will be crying on his way back to Wales as we speak. He’ll be playing back the black that rattled the jaws from the re-spot on loop in his mind for yonks. So unlucky for it to land right over the pocket for Trump to claw his way back. Fair play to Judd. 

I love snooker, but if somehow by magic I made it as a professional, I don’t think I could handle how incredibly fucking annoyed and furious it would make me losing games like that. I’d rather get battered 6-0 and write it off as a crap day at the office rather than stewing over what could have been in a decider. On the verge of a bigger wad of cash and a chance to dream of going on a run, only to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I’d be absolutely steaming, not with my opponent but with myself. Three-four hours of farting about on a table only to get nothing to show for it. Snooker is one of the cruelest mental sports I can possibly think of. 

• Paid Members

Mark. J. Williams. What a comeback and what a match against Ronnie. That was the equivalent of The Rock and Stone Cold going toe to toe on a snooker table. That long red from Willo to kick off the century caused me to do a little sex wee. Outrageously good. 

13 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Mark. J. Williams. What a comeback and what a match against Ronnie. That was the equivalent of The Rock and Stone Cold going toe to toe on a snooker table. That long red from Willo to kick off the century caused me to do a little sex wee. Outrageously good. 

Completely agree. It'll be a sad day when the Class of 92 finally call it a day. There's always a different atmosphere when they come out to play against each other. I'm a big Ronnie fan but not unhappy at all that Mark won, that victory was due for a while.

• Paid Members

Massive win for The Big Lisowski. Another good game with an equally noble effort from the Persian Prince. 

As some of you know, I've worked on the snooker previously. At Lisowski's first Masters (2019), I vividly remember him sitting with his then-manager in the crowd seats a few hours before his match. He was absolutely bricking it - the setup for the Masters is obviously quite unique because of the size of not just the crowd, but also the staging and lighting around the table (It's twice the size of what you can fit into the humble Crucible Theatre, for instance). There are two commentary boxes, more photographers and videographers crowded around the bottom end, etc.

Fast forward and he's in the semi's and playing really well. He'll have to go some to beat Williams I think, but it's great to see him looking so comfortable out there. He's an absolutely smashing lad - the type that always asks you how your day is going when you speak to him, and not in a sort of token pleasantry type of manner. I'd love him to win it.  

• Paid Members

Vafaei is in my top three favourite players so gutted to see him go out, but Jack deserved it last night and there would be few who would begrudge him finally getting over the line at a tournament.

I love how they treat Lizowski as the Undertaker and Peter Ebdon as the urn. Zooming in on him randomly in the expectation Jack will power up and immediately hit a century.

12 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

He's an absolutely smashing lad - the type that always asks you how your day is going when you speak to him, and not in a sort of token pleasantry type of manner. I'd love him to win it.  

This is a nice confirmation as he always seems so lovely when he's being interviewed or doing punditry etc. 

I hope he wins. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

This is a nice confirmation as he always seems so lovely when he's being interviewed or doing punditry etc. 

I hope he wins. 

There are similar examples like this. The media team at World Snooker once did a long filming session with him, but had an issue with their footage. He offered to drive all the way back and effectively re-do the whole thing with them and wasn't pissy about it in any way shape or form, when to be fair he had every right to be. It's little things as well like really good manners, and also he's fairly good at remembering people's names. With the snooker, each event usually has a different set of broadcasters and people working on it depending on which broadcaster has the rights, or the size of the tournament determining how many people attend. I was flabbergasted one time in Sheffield where he remembered my name and a previous conversation we'd had about James Maddison. I'm quite low down on what I'd call the press-food chain and not in any way a big deal or even a regular face, so the fact he remembered that random interaction, mad as it sounds, left me absolutely buzzing. 

Definitely the sort of person you'd love to marry and take home to your parents. 

Jack Lisowski does come across as a very likeable person. Seeing him win The Masters would be a fantastic moment. I felt like he was losing his head a bit in the 9th frame last night. A couple of dodgy safety shots and I was thinking he was going to lose. But maybe Ebdons mental strength kicked into him and he got over the line nicely. 

I'd love to see a Trump vs Lisowski final with Jack winning it by beating his good mate. That would be a special moment. On the other hand Williams winning would be very special too.

• Paid Members

What a contrast that is - an attacking gunslinger of a player like Lisowski being mentored by - of all people - Peter Ebdon! The man who took longer to make a break of 12 than it took Ronnie O'Sullivan to make a 147. And even more bizarrely, it appears to be working. Whoever organised that introduction behind the scenes is a genius.