Fatty Facesitter's Snooker Loopy thread

Fatty Facesitter

Stephen Hendry recently did a video with Murphy. Nothing groundbreaking but it sounds like Murphy just lives his life the way he wants to and has a big love of snooker. As weird as he is I can't be critical of that.

It's worth giving Hendrys youtube channel a subscribe. He tends to interview players while playing a frame against them and it just comes across as a really relaxing environment. He's also done behind the scenes videos at tournaments that are worth checking out.

It feels like Jack Lisowski is never going to win a tournament but he must be the big favourite to win the German Masters. I'm not saying the other 3 aren't very good players but it's Lisowskis tournament to win. 

Now I've said that Tom Ford will probably destroy him tonight. I wouldn't be surprised if Ford wins a tournament soon. He can play some good snooker when he's on form. And Robert Milkins is looking decent. He's made a 147 and 146 this week. But surely it's time for Lisowski? 

He just can't win a tournament can he? Comes back from 5-3 down to 5-5, does all the hard work and then messes up right at the finish line. I'm thinking it's just never going to happen for him. Some kind of mental block that holds him back.

All the credit to Ford though. He played well throughout the match and that final clearance was nicely done.

Ford vs Carter may not sound the most exciting of finals but I'm sure it'll be interesting. I'm hoping for a Ford win. I like the way he plays the game and its nice to see him doing well after struggling financially not too long ago. Nothing against Carter who has had a very good career but I find his playing quite boring these days.

• Paid Members

Many of you won't be aware, but Jack has been working with Peter Ebdon on the mental side of his game  With Peter Ebdon in his corner, it's even more remarkable he can't win a tournament when he has Peter Ebdon in his corner. 

Tom Ford may look like an upturned shovel, but he's cracking to watch and Carter is a bit of a nob. Hoping he gets over the line today.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I still believe it will happen for The Big Lisowski. When it does, I think more titles will inevitably follow. He has what I can only describe as clincher's disease - an allergic reaction to a sniff of the finish line when the stakes are at the highest. Which is so annoying when he's clearly very capable and has beaten the biggest names in the sport of different occasions. 

Fond memory of Tom Ford from the 2020 UK Champs - this took place behind closed doors in Milton Keynes during that mad spell where everything was held within Stadium MK due to Covid. I still covered it in person, but the majority of others covered it remotely on Zoom including most of the beeb. For the UK, they usually have a small team that do different interviews and send them out to their local stations, win or lose. They still wanted to speak to Tom Ford lost 6-4 to China's Pang Jungxu. 

Tom enters the press room and sits in front of the laptop. 

"Hi Tom, how do you reflect on the match today?"

"Shit."

Couple more questions with one word answers and then he stormed out. 

• Paid Members

Looking at Snooker.Org, some mad games look to have taken place in the first round. Re-spotted blacks, games decided on final balls, all sorts. 

Of the 128-player home nations tournaments, the Welsh has the most premium feel I think. The BBC coverage is also handy. It'll never be up there with the triple crowns but it does usually spark some decent snooker. Everyone's trying to play well and iron out the kinks ahead of the Worlds, which are getting tantalisingly close.

His match the night before didn't finish until about 1 in the morning. I'll happily watch it at that time but I can understand the players themselves getting annoyed. 

O'Sullivans tip fell off earlier in the night and they had to go off for a while so he could stick it back on. Not sure what he does but I swear he's spent most of his career having problems with his tips. Didn't stop him from winning 4-0 though.

I always enjoy snooker on the BBC as it brings back memories of watching as a child but Eurosport has really grown on me over the years. They show most of the tournaments and you can watch any table. In the studio you have Jimmy White relaxing with his chest hair out, Neal Foulds looking like he never recovered from the 80s and Jo Johnson building the tension by breathing loudly into the mic.

Also unlike most snooker presenters who have no past history with the game Rachel Casey actually seems like she loves being around snooker.

The pregnant pause when they cut back to studio on Eurosport and Jimmy White's heart starts up again just enough for him to re-animate and talk about the frame is one of the best things on television. 

Shuan Murphy made a 147 in his last 16 match. From the first pot on the red I thought it looked good for a maximum but didn't think he'd go on to make one. No overly special pots just a really solid break. The only time he really lost the cue ball was on the pink but he recovered well from it and landed nicely on the black. He made a 145 in the frame before. As weird as he is I did enjoy seeing him smiling when he made the 145 and then an even bigger smile on his little face when he made the maximum. 

Hard to predict the winner of the tournament. O'sullivan hasn't really been tested so far but it would be typical O'sullivan to win a tournament while struggling to keep his tip on. Allen is obviously a big favourite with the season he's having. Murphy is playing very nicely and stands a good chance. I wouldn't count Milkins out. He's having a decent season.