Fatty Facesitter's Snooker Loopy thread

Fatty Facesitter

I agree about Williams winning if he was against anyone else. Trump has that thing that only the great players have where they can play on their B or even C game and still get themselves over the winning line. That's what Trump did most of the week and only started to look at his best in those last couple of frames where he showed a lot of composure.

We don't have long to wait for more snooker. The World Grand Prix starts today at 1PM on itv4.

The suspended Chinese players have been charged now. The one that's still really surprising to me is Bingtao. He's been charged with match fixing and betting on matches. He was someone I was sure would be world champion one day and now he's likely done in professional snooker. I know he's young but if he's found guilty it's going to be a hard thing to ever come back from.

As someone who’s been fairly apathetic towards the Snooker for years, I think the last time it gave me a hard on is when Steve Davis made his way to the UK Championship final as a Cinderella story in 07 or so vs Ding, the Masters has pulled me back in. A marvellous tournament, and have been watching the World Grand Prix intently. 

Snooker is quietly becoming sexy again. Other forums I post on also has everyone getting back in to the snooker.

And also, back to Steve Davis, the man can make a fucking banging tune.

Edited by Butch2000

There just seemed to be a ten year period from about 2007 - 2017 where either John Higgins won the big one, or Mark Selby did. Two complete craic vacuums that can be tough to pull for across long matches. Robertson might sneak a few in, Ronnie was having his worst years and everyone looked on as the darts started getting bigger, sexier TV coverage. 

Now O'Sullivan and Williams look like they could win anything, anytime for fun. Trump's become a mainstay but is more fun by virtue of being shite every now and then. You have Lisowski, Kyren Wilson etc moving up slowly but surely. Players just seem more open and relaxed talking about how snooker is being run from the interview seat. 

It's not the Attitude Era, per say, but probably that 2005-2006 period where you were out of the doldrums and things felt a bit fresh again. 

I think you hit it on the head with Mark Selby. He was the point I tapped out. Someone called the Jester from Leicester who had all the bursting flavour of unbuttered cold toast. And his play was as full of excitement as his character. And he seemed to fucking win everything.

The Williams renaissance (which if I remember had him doing promos in the nude after winning the worlds for the first time since forever), O Sullivan who’s always there, players like Trump who fluked the masters so he’s a heel! Snooker is ace again. 

When we’re turning off Quiz shows to put snooker on the second telly in the pub for the World Grand Prix (World Bowls from Potters Resort on telly one, obviously), people care.

Edited by Butch2000

5 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

One of my favourite storylines is Jack Lizowski flat out refusing to win a tournament, even though he's massively talented and has the ghost of Peter Ebdon in his corner.

If anyone can help him build the mental strength it takes to win tournaments it's Ebdon. And I think we have seen a big improvement in that but you can see when the old Lisowski kicks back in and starts making bad shot choices. I don't think that 8 minute debate about a free ball helped him. I love how they still show Ebdon almost every frame sitting in a dark corner. 

Saengkham is having a good week. He's defeated Selby, O'Sullivan and Williams to make it to the last 4.

• Paid Members

You could see his head go during that frame. Granted, Allen was playing proper shithouse snooker, and the debate about the free ball was screaming for the ref to make a decision and tell them both to simmer down, but he'll have to learn how to deal with that against the Selby's of this world. You can't expect to just blast folks away, look at Trump and O'Sullivan and how they can dig in and win with their B game when they need to.

All aboard the Noppon express. A nicer fella you couldn't hope to meet.

Edited by Gus Mears

Should be a good final today. Hard to call it. Trump has played way better than last week and that got him to winning the masters. And then Allen is playing whatever game plan it takes to win and is obviously player of the season so far.

Last night Murphy seemed really annoyed at a red that he claimed rolled off it's line. On all the replays it just looked like he played it badly and missed.