Fatty Facesitter's Snooker Loopy thread

Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Pork Pie said:

I really want to see Lisowski win the tournament though. He always comes across as a decent person and is ridiculously entertaining, although a bit frustrating at times.

It’s those reckless shots he does. It’s what’s holding him back. He can be world class and then try crazy shots while whacking the ball and it will cost him the frame. Eventually somethings got to give and it will level out for him. He’s too good of a player not to make it work. 

• Paid Members

He's something of a mentality monster at the moment. Now his life is in a better place off the table, nothing seems to faze him and even when the shit is hitting the fan during a match, he keeps his composure, holds on and turns it around. We could be about to get the very best years of his career if he keeps playing this way - a definite contender for both the Masters and the Worlds on current evidence. 

• Paid Members

Really enjoyable tournament all around. The format change helped enormously and loads of surprises which was nice to see after the World's was Class of 92 and Trump. 

I usually watch Eurosport coverage when it splits with BBC but tuned into the latter when Virgo was on. Going to miss him when he gets binned at the end of the year.

• 3 weeks later...

There's been 6 or 7 players suspended in the past week while they're investigated for match fixing. They've all been quite unknown players but the big one is Yan Bingtao has been suspended today. Obviously they may well not be guilty but it's a great shame if it does turn out to be true. Yan is someone I think will be a top player for a long time to come and is one day highly likely to be world champion.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Pork Pie said:

There's been 6 or 7 players suspended in the past week while they're investigated for match fixing. They've all been quite unknown players but the big one is Yan Bingtao has been suspended today. Obviously they may well not be guilty but it's a great shame if it does turn out to be true. Yan is someone I think will be a top player for a long time to come and is one day highly likely to be world champion.

I'm so gutted about Yan. One of my favourite players. I think it might have been during one of the Championship League earlier in the year, but I remember two of the lads implicated facing off and missing a bunch of easy pots and thinking then that something was a bit rum.

A lot of it seems to be revolving around woman beating dip-shit Liang Wenbo.

He seems to have threatened at least one of the other players involved to throw a match or else.

Snooker is well rid of him but the others may well get a shot at redemption after a few years.

BTW, Chinese bloggers are reporting that Yan's issues may involve unwanted sexual advances towards fans as well.

• Paid Members

Absolute madness. You never really know a sportsperson's private lives but the notion of match-fixing and sexual advances towards fans seems so out of character for Bingtao. Never gave off dodgy vibes, just seemed like a shy lad who loves his snooker. 

Could also be a scenario where people knew but didn't initially disclose it, similar to how the Jamie Jones came about. 

A dark day for the great sport. 

One of the many things I love about snooker is how much respect is in the sport. How many other sports would you get someone calling a foul on themselves? So if they are found guilty it really is a dark day for a very respectful sport.

I doubt Wenbo will ever play another game of professional snooker.

• Paid Members

Lovely to see Selby lift the trophy after a tough year mentally for him. Judging by his interviews, it sounds as though he was in an extremely dark place and thought about doing something unthinkable had it not been for family support. Thank Christ he’s still with us.  

Yeah it's unfortunately taken his recent health scare for me to come around to Selby. It's fucking snooker. I was away with the birds not taking to his punishing, algebraic, gin-dry form of gamesmanship. He looks visibly more expressive and happy around the table in the last year or so which is wonderful to see. Definitely one of the big, key players in any tournament and long may he stay that way. 

It was great to see Selby win a tournament after everything he's had to deal with. I recently went to an evening with John Virgo, Dennis Taylor and Steve Davis. All three agreed that they think Selby is the most underrated player on tour which is hard to disagree with. I'd put him at fourth on the list of all time greatest players. Wining 3 world titles in 4 years has been the closest anyone has gotten to dominating at the Crucible since Hendry. The guy deserves every bit of credit he gets and more.

O'sullivan has been nominated for the BBC sports personality of the year award. As much as I'd like to see him win I think it'll be Beth Mead who totally deserves it as well.