Fatty Facesitter's Snooker Loopy thread

Fatty Facesitter

It was a great shot. Getting a 147 is a lot more common now with the higher standard and there being so many tournaments, but that one was one of the best I've seen in a while. It's good to see Selby playing so well after struggling last season.

Seeing as it's Selby vs Allen in the last 8 there's going to be at least one lower ranked player in the final. Jamie Jones is meant to be running the London Marathon this Sunday so if I was him I'd be doing all I can to reach the final and avoid doing the run.

Edited by Pork Pie

10 minutes ago, Pork Pie said:

I didn't get to watch it but Allen defeated Selby. He's massively favourite to win the tournament now. From what I've seen he's playing really good snooker. Robbie Williams won the other match to reach the last 4.

When he's snookered on the red
He's loving angles instead

Day vs. Williams was a pretty poor standard. I found it entertaining enough but neither player can be happy with how they played. Day was quite terrible but the difference between the two is Day has won finals and has the experience which was just enough to get him over the line. 

If Day doesnt play better tomorrow he'll be lucky not to lose 10-0 (assuming the final is best of 19)

• Paid Members

New record crowd with 9,000 sellout for the final of the Hong Kong Masters. Gutted Marco Fu didn't complete the fairytale against O'Sullivan but his 147 in the decider against Selby in the Semi's is a fantastic moment. Almost had to retire due to eye issues, now back to playing at a fantastic level. 

Full break is around on YouTube but listen to the roar for the last pots. 9,000 for snooker is just bonkers. More of this. 

Higgins/Page was a belter. The Northern Ireland tourny always has a few low key crackers. 

Great seeing Aaron Hill representing the Northside of Cork and all. His shirt sponser is  the Supervalu I used to get my chicken fillet roles on many a morning. 

I really enjoyed Trump vs Hill. Hill didn't look out of place at all and deserved his win. I'm a Judd Trump fan but he didn't do himself any favours in the post match interview. Basically said Hill didn't play that great and got lucky with some flukes. It must be hard to lose and then get a camera and microphone put infront of you so maybe he wasn't thinking clearly. As far as I'm concerned Hill was the better player and held himself together to be a deserved winner.

You can scratch your bingo card for "O'Sullivan says he doesn't care anymore and is sleepwalking through snooker" too. 

To be fair I can completely empathise at this stage with people who can't stand him. But clowning around like this will make it all the funnier when he winds up winning another world title next year. 

He's the Kevin Nash of snooker if Kevin Nash was still actually coming back and winning a belt every second WrestleMania. 

• Paid Members

The trick with Ronnie is to not ask him the same questions each tournament/each round. That's where he loses interest and bats them off.

The key to Ronnie is to make him actually *think* about his answer. Case in point - during one of the first snooker tournaments I covered, he'd beaten one of the young Chinese contingent (it was either Zhou Yuelong or Tian Pengfei I think). It was a pretty comfortable win, but he did drop a couple of frames and his opponent picked up a century as a consolation. It was early on in the tournament I think. He batted off the usual questions he gets asked a million times: "How do you reflect on the match?" "What are your hopes for the tournament moving forward?" etc. As expected, he couldn't give a single, solitary shit. 

I took a different approach and asked about his opponent - despite his faults, he's actually quite complimentary about his opponents a lot of the time* - He gave him some modest praise and said he had a bright future. I pressed him further about who his style of play reminds him off - he then spoke for about three solid minutes in granular detail about how he reminded him of a young Paul Hunter, a young Ding Junhui, think there was even an Alex Higgins mention. He'd hate to admit it publicly, but he's a complete and utter snooker nerd. It's what makes him a top pundit for Eurosport. 

That's not to say he's not annoying - I've seen him be a total prick to people on multiple occasions. But I'm also amazed journalists don't mix it up with him more often. 

(*Apart from items like the brilliant line where he told Stephen Hendry to go back to his sad little life in Scotland)

It must get boring for the players answering the same questions over and over. It gets boring as a viewer. You know the answer before they've spoken. Mark Williams is always entertaining when asked questions.

Mark Allen is having a good start to the season. He had a couple of close games but he felt like the winner all week. To come from 4-1 down to win the final 9-4 is good going. I like Allen. He's a good player and it's very rare to see him showing signs of pressure. Hopefully it'll be another season of mixed tournament winners. As much as we all love the class of 92 and the others at the top of the game it's time a new crop of young players started to pave way for the future.

Winning a couple more world titles wouldn't surprise me with O'Sullivan. I'm sure he would have been happy to win the Northern Ireland Open and other such tournaments but is he really that inspired by them? World titles are the last big milestone for him. He says he's not bothered by numbers but he clearly loves a challenge and his last meaningful number is beating Hendrys record of 7 world titles. 

Despite being the greatest player ever O'Sullivan has never dominated one era like Joe Davis, Ray Reardon, Steve Davis and Stephen Hendry all did. In some ways it makes it more impressive that O'Sullivan has stayed at the top for 30 years and the standard is so high now that maybe no one can dominate the game these days, but I'm pretty sure a few years ago he said he'd have rather been a winning machine in one era like Hendry. So as much as he plays it down I think he'll give it his all to reach 8 world titles if not more before he retires. It's a pretty big legacy to leave behind as I can't see anyone coming close for a long time. I'd love to see Selby add some more to his 4 world titles but who knows. There's so many good players and it's just one tournament that happens once a year.