Fatty Facesitter's Snooker Loopy thread

Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members

In theory I'm gutted, because Selby is my boy and I was desperate to see him live next week when I go to the semi-finals for my first visit.

But fuck me what a player Yan is. Cut from the same cloth. Absolute granite, phenomenal tactical and safety play, and great in among the balls. And he outplayed Selby on his A game, which I don't think I've ever seen before. Selby gave him his absolute best and he still beat him. Genuinely one of the best victories I've ever seen. 

And Williams was my no 2 pick to see next week, so whoever wins in the QF, I'll be happy I think. 

Even at 11-7 down I thought Selby had just as much chance as Yan of getting over the winning line. Selby is just an unbelievable player, no one digs deep when behind like he does. The match also had the longest frame in Crucible history at about 85 minutes. I found it fascinating but it's crazy to think one frame of snooker lasted almost the same amount of time as a football match. No wonder they both had to go for a piss half way through.

Is serving booze at the Crucible a new thing? I'm normally up for a bit of a laugh in what's traditionally been accused of being an absolute library of a TV presentation but it's even annoying me how often the refs are having to tell the crowds on the alternating side of the divide to shut up when milling about mid frame. 

• Paid Members

Apart from the last couple of years because of the you-know-what, there's always been a bar there, alongside a BetFred betting station. Guessing both have come back ful force this year with the pandemic seemingly now a distant memory. 

Ronnie and Williams have been absolutely ridiculous so far. I know it grates some people that the '92 brigade are still at the top of the game, but 30 years in you've got to appreciate how brilliant they've been to have been on top for so long. 

• Paid Members

Fucking love The Big Lisowski. Robertson’s 147 was terrific, but Jack’s been due a massive win like this for some time, delighted for him that he held on. An absolutely sound lad as well. 

Quarters look absolutely fantastic - hardest World Champs to call in years. I am absolutely seething with envy that I’m not there in person covering it this time, but dribbling with joy watching it in the comfort of the office (or my skids working from home). 

• Fatty Facesitter changed the title to Fatty Facesitter's Snooker Loopy thread

I'm really happy for Lisowski. Such a good player to watch and I'd love it if his first tournament win ended up being the world championship. He does need to make less mistakes but he's just defeated the player of the season, so even with those mistakes he can still get good results.

I hope it's him or Williams who goes on to win but I wouldn't mind a Bingham win.

22 minutes ago, King Coconut said:

As Virgo said on commentary this evening, Ronnie's stroking the ball lovely.

Snooker commentary is absolutely filthy most of the time. Today and tonight we had talk of "good length" "hes slotted that in a bit tightly" and the ubiquitous "screwing". They could have their own Out Of Context thread.

Rotten luck for Maguire tonight, nothing would go his way, but he pulled it back for the final frame. Still think Ronnie's too far ahead to catch though. 

Also, people that shout out at Snooker are usually twats, but someone saying "Come on Yan, I need a wee" during that long 14th frame made me laugh and popped the whole crowd. Fair play.

At the moment O'Sullivan is in a place mentally where the game is easy. The top guys can pot balls all day long but when something clicks inside your head, you become almost unbeatable. If he gets thourgh this match, which is looking very likely, he will be against Lisowski or Higgins. I don't see O'Sullivan losing that match. If he does get to the final I think Trump stands the best chance of beating him, although Bingham switches on at the world championship and has the experience of beating O'Sullivan at the crucible. If Williams can play like he did in the first two matches, he'd stand a good chance. It could be the next step for Yan but we've not seen him in enough finals to really say what his chances are. 

Of course I could end up being totally wrong and O'Sullivan doesn't end up getting to the final. I would be really happy with a Lisowski vs Trump final. They're really close mates, both exciting to watch and it'd be a very entertaining final.

I feel bad for Lisowski. He played some unbelievable shots to go ahead 12-11. You can see the improvement of Lisowskis all round game since having Peter Ebdon in his corner. He'll start winning tournaments if he keeps this up. He let's the cue ball get away from him a bit too much but his ability of pulling crazy shots out gets him back in.

Crazy to think the class of 92 are in the last 4 of the world championship 30 years after turning professional.

Edited by Pork Pie

Hard to see O'Sullivan throwing the final if he gets in tomorrow. His main weakness has always been interest and temperament - especially with slower frames - but he seems to have turned into Athletico Ronnie in the semi finals. Ball cleaning, crowd admonishing, happy to get into drawn out snooker battles. He's been a right evil fecker, and I doubt this version of him can be topped.