Fatty Facesitter's Snooker Loopy thread

Fatty Facesitter

Yeah it's hard not to love Williams. He just seems to enjoy his life and playing snooker these days is something to get him out of the house. Playing with that kind of freedom can make him a very dangerous opponent. And he's started a trend with breaking off by leaveing the white tight on the back of the pack of reds. More players are doing it. Having said all that it's not looking good for him right now against Selby. 

I'm surprised Wilson won 5 straight frames this morning to beat Robertson 13-8. Goes to show what a top player Wilson has turned into

1 minute ago, Factotum said:

Anyone having a bit of trouble getting into it this year? Maybe its because I still think the last Worlds as only having ended a few months ago. I don't know, its lacked a bit of something for me. Some great snooker of course

For better or worse, O'Sullivan going out early always seems to take something away from the tournament for me.

I was hoping for a Robertson victory, but there is something about him and the Crucible for some reason and his record since winning the title back in 2010 is shockingly bad for someone who has won so much and who can look unbeatable out there at times.

Anyone bar Selby winning now will do.

Have to fancy Bingham to go all the way if he can knock off Selby today. Praying to the snooker gods that happens, of course. Selby gets a lot of shit for someone who is a total pro to a high degree, but it's still too fun watching him lose given all the boring hours of snooker telly he's produced. None of the pundits ever have much to say about him either when they do the usual spiel about what a great guy someone is etc. Maybe nothing in it, but telling.

Bingham's always flown under my radar slightly as a player, but in all his interviews etc this week he really comes across as a great guy with a deep love for the game. Your people's champion of the year in absence of Ronnie or Williams. Hope he can do it.

Edited by Gay as FOOK

I know a lot of people can't stand Selby but I admire his will to never give up and carry on even when needing something like 5 snookers. And more often than not he will get those snookers and win the frame. He's a master at tactical play. I love a good scrappy frame when you've got someone as good as Selby is at that style of play. And winning a 4th world title would annoy the O'Sullivan fans which is always funny.

On the other hand Murphy is playing amazingly well, seems like a really likeable guy and I'll win £60 if he was to win the tournament

I don't, and will never like his style of playing, but I can't deny Selby's talent on the table. Incredible form these last two weeks, and a worthy winner.

And Shaun Murphy melted my heart a little with his speech. What a gracious acceptance. 

Have really enjoyed this tournament, and I think the BBC coverage is absolutely spot on.

Selby may not be the most flashy player and may get a bit of stick for his style of play but he has to be the most difficult player to play against. He'll be happy to play safe for hours and wait for his opportunity and while it may not always be the most entertaining viewing it's what it takes for him to win. You don't win 4 world titles by fluke. He's just a great snooker player.

Something that doesn't get mentioned much is that before really winning anything in snooker, Selby entered the world pool championship having never played professional pool and became world champion on his first attempt.

I think Murphy has won over a lot of people in this tournament. The crowd shouted for him like he was Jimmy White or O'Sullivan. When he's in the right frame of mind he's such an entertaining player and I don't see how anyone could dislike him as a person. Also he pulls the oddest facial expressions in snooker

For anyone who hasn't seen enough snooker in the past few weeks the world seniors is on iplayer and red  button. It's way more entertaining than it use to be but some matches are painstakingly long. Jimmy White put in his best performance of the past 20 years to win it for a second time last year.

It'll be interesting to see how Hendry does. If he's to do anything of note on the main tour next season you'd think he's got to put in a solid performance in the seniors. He won his first match 3-0 but really wasn't happy with how he played. Against a better player he would likely already be out

Hendry will have to improve a hell of a lot on that performance over Patsy Fagan if he's wanting to do anything on the main tour, let alone make it back to the Crucible, which is his aim.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he jacks it in if he can't play to a standard he deems acceptable or to where he is unable to be competitive.  He's not going to be content with turning up at all the events and going out in the last 128 like Jimmy White is.

The 4-1 defeat today shows Hendry needs a lot more work if he's to stand a chance getting past a first round in a tournament next season. 

I doubt he'll play on any longer than next season. I think he will stick it out and have one more try at getting back to the world championship and then call it a day for the final time.

• 7 months later...

It's been good to see Luca Brecel doing so well in the last couple of weeks. Runner-up in the UK final, won the Scottish Open a week later and seems to be doing well in the Grand Prix. He showed loads of promise when he first turned pro but just completely fell away over the last couple of years. Two weeks ago he was world number 40 and now he's back in the top 16. 

With Bingtao winning the Masters at the start of the year and Zhao winning the UK a couple of weeks ago, hopefully this is a sign of a new crop of players taking it to the next level. As great as the class of 92 still is (Higgins especially as he's already reached 3 finals this season) and the other top players such as Trump and Selby, there's going to be a point where you need the new generation breaking thourgh.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Pork Pie said:

It's been good to see Luca Brecel doing so well in the last couple of weeks. Runner-up in the UK final, won the Scottish Open a week later and seems to be doing well in the Grand Prix. He showed loads of promise when he first turned pro but just completely fell away over the last couple of years. Two weeks ago he was world number 40 and now he's back in the top 16. 

I was at the Scottish Open final on Sunday (Yes, in Llandudno, I know).

I was supporting Higgins but that boy oozes class. Its wrong that he isn't in the Grand Prix tbh.

• 3 months later...

The tour championship started today on ITV4. I like this tournament as it's just the top 8 and the matches are best of 19. 

It's been a very interesting season. Robertson has come closest to dominating but there's been a real mix of tournament winners. Unlikely winners like Perry and Milkins, the rise of Zhao with him winning the UK championship, Brecel playing amazingly for 3 weeks, Fan beating O'Sullivan in the European Masters Final, Hawkins getting to two finals and Ricky Walden looking really good too.

I'll be putting a bet on Vafaei for the World Championship next month. He's got a bright future in snooker imo. He plays too good not to go on and win some major tournaments 

• 3 weeks later...

A reminder that the World Championship starts tomorrow. 

On 3/28/2022 at 11:56 PM, Pork Pie said:

I'll be putting a bet on Vafaei for the World Championship next month. He's got a bright future in snooker imo. He plays too good not to go on and win some major tournaments 

What's this lad like? Was just reading some choice comments from him about Ronnie and then saw it was his tournament debut.

Looking forward to Ding v Kyren, despite the former sort of losing his way over the last few years, but still a class player on his day.

Doing absolutely nothing Sunday and Monday so am getting the snacks in and drawing the curtains closed all day.

Here's to a belter!