Fatty Facesitter's Snooker Loopy thread

Fatty Facesitter

Hendry really grew on me post 2000. In the 90s as a kid I utterly hated him. It wasn't even because of Jimmy White who I wanted to win but was always prepared to be let down by. I think I associated Hendry with that Man United winning everything so therefore evil feeling. Now I have so much time for him and realise what a sensational player he was. Be great to see them go again.

• 3 weeks later...

The first round line up of the World Championship starting on Saturday:

Ronnie O'Sullivan v Mark Joyce

Anthony McGill v Ricky Walden

Ding Junhui v Stuart Bingham

Stephen Maguire v Jamie Jones

John Higgins v Tian Pengfei

Mark Williams v Sam Craigie

Mark Allen v Lyu Haotian

Mark Selby v Kurt Maflin

Neil Robertson v Liang Wenbo

Jack Lisowski v Ali Carter

Barry Hawkins v Matthew Selt

Kyren Wilson v Gary Wilson

Shaun Murphy v Mark Davis

Yan Bingtao v Martin Gould

David Gilbert v Chris Wakelin

Judd Trump v Liam Highfield

11 minutes ago, Pork Pie said:

May be worth putting a bet on Lisowski. It's doubtful he'll hold it together for two weeks but it can't be long until he wins his first tournament. If he gets on a good run you never know

Carter is an awful first-round draw for him though (Bingham is the only trickier qualifier).  Then he's likely got an in-form Robertson in the second round.

I'm sure it is only a matter of time before Lisowski wins something, he's got a slim chance of winning this though.

Edited by Magnum Milano

O'Sullivan-McGill was the quintessential "game of two halves Clive".

From a dog shit morning session, where Ronnie looked like he had given up, he was awful. But then pulled it back in the evening, only for McGill to hit a wonderful 130 odd and power through the last to nick it. Turned into a belter.

Just now, SuperBacon said:

O'Sullivan-McGill was the quintessential "game of two halves Clive".

From a dog shit morning session, where Ronnie looked like he had given up, he was awful. But then pulled it back in the evening, only for McGill to hit a wonderful 130 odd and power through the last to nick it. Turned into a belter.

McGill held himself together exceptionally well in those last two frames considering how badly he had played all evening.

O'Sullivan will be pig sick though.  A kick on the final red he potted left him straight on the blue, rather than top-side, and that seemed to completely throw him off his thinking.

Both got a bit of bad luck heading towards the end of the match. McGill cut a red that was aiming for the middle of the pocket but went off line badly due to the table. Then O'Sullivan was a little unlucky brushing against a red. It was leaving himself straight on that blue that lost him it though.

Can't say I'm that sad to see him go out. He is no doubt the best of all time but it gets boring how every little thing he says gets repeated over and over. Also it seems every time he loses a big match all the attention is on why he lost it and not the opponent who out played him and deserved to win

27 minutes ago, Pork Pie said:

Both got a bit of bad luck heading towards the end of the match. McGill cut a red that was aiming for the middle of the pocket but went off line badly due to the table. Then O'Sullivan was a little unlucky brushing against a red. It was leaving himself straight on that blue that lost him it though.

Can't say I'm that sad to see him go out. He is no doubt the best of all time but it gets boring how every little thing he says gets repeated over and over. Also it seems every time he loses a big match all the attention is on why he lost it and not the opponent who out played him and deserved to win

Plus it gets rid of those FUCKING CUNTS who shout "Go on Ronnie!!!" every time he gets an opportunity to win.

You're not at Rileys!!!!

There's definite merit to the argument that with him gone, the coverage can be more about - well - snooker and less Ronnie O'Sullivan: Where's Your Head At?

The tournament is shaping up nicely. 10 titles between the last 8 with Wilson and McGill being the only ones left not to have won the title, with McGill being the only to not have been in a final.

From what I've seen today McGill has been the player of the day. Just going for everything. Robertson vs. Wilson has been an interesting game so far. Wilson is lucky to be 8-8 over night as he played pretty badly for most of the day.

Really hard to call a winner. For me Robertson looked favourite going into the tournament. But you really can't count anyone out. Murphy is looking relaxed around the table and is playing incredible long shots, Bingham is always capable of going on a good run, Williams has been playing fast and floating balls in like when he won it in 2018, Selby is looking very solid and just quietly getting on with it, Trump is naturally the favourite, and Wilson is showing that even when not playing his best he can still hang in there.

That leaves the outsider McGill. He's pretty much done nothing of note since last years world championship, but if he keeps playing the way he has been then he is a serious contender

Edited by Pork Pie

Have to root for the people's champion - Williams - naturally. Especially since he doesn't seem to care anymore. I mean really doesn't seem to care. Not in that Ronnie bag of neuroses way, but in the sense that he's essentially on vacation whilst just so happening to be one of the best players on the planet. It's freed him up considerably and - as you say - he's been fast and fluid around the table.