The Tech Thread

Steve Justice

• Paid Members

Thank you both.

Option 1 or 2 then. I’m not dead against cabling it although it would be a ball ache

The shed already has power so option 2 sounds good. How does it work? There’s another three sheds dotted around that have power so there’s a lot of electric cable on and around the property. Will it put internet through every wire? And would that then effect the quality of the internet in the house? 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, waters44 said:

How does it work? There’s another three sheds dotted around that have power so there’s a lot of electric cable on and around the property.

It transmits a network signal down electrical cable alongside the electricity.  One end plugs in near your router and a cable goes into that.  Another powerline adapter plugs in at the other end and devices in that location can connect via that. 

However, there are limitations based on how everything is wired up  (from the electrical side).  I'd definitely recommend getting them from somewhere that does easy returns in case you hit a hiccup.

55 minutes ago, waters44 said:

And would that then effect the quality of the internet in the house?

Only in the sense that you'll be adding additional devices to your network so if you're caning massive downloads simultaneously on every device you'll probably notice.

Edited by johnnyboy

• Members

An IT related question.

I have an event next week, and I want to have a QR code for people to scan when they arrive that links to the itinerary. 

But I'm struggling to find where to put the itinerary if that makes sense. I can put it on our webpage as a pdf and link the QR code to there, but is that my only hosting option? I was having a play around with MS Forms, and was thinking of just copying and pasting the info in there but am struggling to delete the answer boxes etc, and it's not really fit for what I want (an aside though, I do quite like Forms)

Obviously at the moment it's on my secure one drive which only employees of my organisation can access. 

What a fun question for you all. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Can anyone please help out a low tech redneck? 

I haven't bought a laptop in over 10 years. I just want something kind of small for general browsing and some YouTube. Maybe a tiny bit of low quality video editing/cutting software on some free appni can find. 

I really don't want to spend much at all, so is this something worth looking at?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/226085688698?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=wfCqgpNbQgu&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=b9YUPvjFSaO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I appreciate this model is quite old now. Would I be able to get away with the above mentioned things for atleast a few years on this?  Cheers. 

• Paid Members

That should be more than capable. I think I9 is the the most powerful processor available. The laptop you've suggested has an I5 processor. As long as you don't get to heavy into the video editing. You should be fine.

Posted (edited)

The generation comes into play, too. Being a 6th gen i5-6200U it's pretty weak by today's standards and wasn't that great when it came out to be fair.

The best thing to do when looking at any laptop is check the exact CPU part number and look in to that. I'd look into an 8th gen Thinkpad at a minimum, a t480 isn't much more and they're kind of the king of the cheap laptop.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but figure it's the nearest. Apologies in advance if not.

I've had a pop-up on Youtube two or three times now tell me "Ad blockers are not allowed", followed by the usual list of options, like Youtube Plus or whatever it's called.

If I continue to ignore the pop-ups, are they likely to ban my account?

4 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but figure it's the nearest. Apologies in advance if not.

I've had a pop-up on Youtube two or three times now tell me "Ad blockers are not allowed", followed by the usual list of options, like Youtube Plus or whatever it's called.

If I continue to ignore the pop-ups, are they likely to ban my account?

They certainly threaten it in their terms, but I'm not sure how tough they are on it. I do think they're cracking down on it more recently though.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, BigJag said:

I'd be inclined to ignore it. Does the ad blocker work?

It does. Youtube's so much more enjoyable without it.

2 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

They certainly threaten it in their terms, but I'm not sure how tough they are on it. I do think they're cracking down on it more recently though.

Hmmmm, that's a worry. I've got loads of playlists now. Don't want to have to rebuild them all from scratch.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

Have done some quick reading on a few Q&A sites. Seems the general wisdom on it is that Youtube will block playback of videos after a certain number of times, but they've decided against banning accounts that do that, as it would create a huge backlash, and be quite damaging to the number of users on there.

9 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Have done some quick reading on a few Q&A sites. Seems the general wisdom on it is that Youtube will block playback of videos after a certain number of times, but they've decided against banning accounts that do that, as it would create a huge backlash, and be quite damaging to the number of users on there.

There's usually a forthcoming update from AdBlockPlus which will get round it.  That's been the case for the past 10 years or so.