Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted
16 minutes ago, TheScarlettChad said:

Could Punk be the one to sell his soul instead? I would love a heel run from Phil, and him actually selling out to become Company Man Punk, would be great. And if they need to tie it into the Heyman favor, then just say that Heyman had a word with Rock, and that's why it's happening. It may be shit but it'd really heat up a dead and cold mania build.

It’s a bit early to write off the Wrestlemania build just yet - we don’t even know what the card is going to be outside of the Gunther/Jey and Charlotte/Stratton.

I suppose the favour could be ‘get me the main event of Wrestlemania, and have Punk insist he didn’t sell his soul because he didn’t have one in the first place. Punk doesn’t need to be a company man, you could have Rock say he was going to ditch Cody even if he accepted, and it was all to prove some kind of warped point.

I don’t think any of that will happen though, while I’m sure we’ve not seen the last of heel CM Punk, I don’t think he’s making an appearance any time soon.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I completely forgot to mention.. aside from a spot where Raquel ran blindly in for no apparent reason but to feed a “reversal,” everything the EST did in that six-woman was fab. Why she’s pissed around in tag teams all year is beyond me.

Posted

Jacob was robbed again. 

 

At this stage I'd say we need our own Fatu thread. 

 

I skipped a few bits of SD. Mainly because of time constraints than product. 

 

I can't stand Knight,  so I skipped his opener.

 

On the whole, I think there is potential for a good Mania build post EC, I just hope Big Dewey doesn't go completely power mad and derail everything.  

 

 

Posted (edited)

Is there something going on with the crowds? Have they changed the way they mic them? Are they bussing in lots of non fans?

For a little while now it's felt like nothing, not even a lot of the big stuff, is getting even half the reaction it would have a year ago. Even the Cena turn segment wasn't THAT hot (though the loudest bit was for 'go fuck yourself', so maybe it's just a thick crowd they have now).

It just felt really pronounced last night. Randy told a terrible joke about the 'rock bottom' to absolute crickets (the sort of joke WWE audience's tend to enjoy); Cody's promo had an allllrriigghhht reaction; some people stood up when LA Knight won a literal championship.

Everything just feels a bit flat. And that's not a criticism of the product, despite what I think of the Mania build, as like I say even the good stuff seems to be getting smaller reactions than you'd expect.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz
  • Paid Members
Posted

A better show than recent weeks. Crap crowd and still far too long, though. Three hour Smackers end in June, don’t they? Can’t come soon enough.

Randy Orton looks like he’s going to explode. That Brock Lesnar shade of incoming-heart-attack dark red, too. Maybe switch to Diet Steroids, for a bit? Steds Zero.

Randy trying to do a, “bottom,” joke, to a crowd primarily made up of kids was certainly a choice, too. Is there anything more tragic than someone repeating their joke when it doesn’t land the first time?

Orton kicking Kevin’s head off will probably get a great reaction as a, “Wrestlemania moment.” Still should’ve been Sami. Maybe another Triple Threat, Hunter? 

Cody’s promo was the highlight of the show. He’s so fucking great. He was already set for life, but it’s like Cena’s turn has took him to a level I didn’t even know existed. He’s more the man than anyone has ever been the man. Cena’s response has got to be one of the most anticipated promos of all time. Is his first appearance in Glasgow? Excellent choice, if so. Comes out with a shaved head, in one of those ridiculously baggy suits. Immediately pushes that cameraman Stu to the floor. Switches his salute to this. Can’t wait.

IMG_1337.gif.53200682d02766b4050966d301765dd2.gif

Once again, Charlotte was the worst part of the show. Everything booked, written and performed by Charlotte feels like bad AI. It’s always been the case, but it’s even more noticeable now. She’s absolutely rubbish. There’s nothing there.

By contrast, Chelsea Green rules. I wonder if they pair Chelsea with Charlotte some of Chelsea’s charm, fun and charisma might rub off?

US Title back on LA Knight. What a nothing reign from Nakamura. Waste of everyone’s time.

Have they changed Jimmy Uso’s music to make it more shit and generic? Fuck’s sake. I do not have high hopes for Cena’s new Def Rebel music.

Loved that clip of Lex Luger getting told he’s going into the Hall of Fame. It’s a load of shit, and absolutely horrific to watch, but when it matters to lads like this, I’m all for it. Good for Lex.

Pretty Deadly winning the Number One Contender match! Yes boy! They have a London show coming up, don’t they? Fingers crossed that’s where they get the shot and my boys raise those belts! Yes boy! So pretty! So deadly!

Big fan of Nick Aldis doing the conspiracy theory meme. Next time I’m bored in work, I’ll probably edit this to accurately represent everyone on Smackdown trying to make The Rock’s creative pitches make sense.

IMG_1340.jpeg.e9529544ce54b2812c35236144ece835.jpeg

Is there a word for what you can recognise as good acting, whilst still acknowledging it’s insufferable to sit through? That’s how it felt watching Bianca and Naomi. Can’t knock their delivery; extremely believable and genuinely impressive when Naomi started crying. But fuck me, that bit where they were screaming over each other? Horrific television.

Jade looked a million dollars again. I hope she has a better run of matches than before. Speaking of which, I saw a report that Jade had a backstage fight with Shayna Bazler, back when they were stinking up the joint last year. He must be so proud. The New Class!

IMG_1341.thumb.jpeg.18c8625d038f513bd9d8e9ea10e68daa.jpeg

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 minute ago, Supremo said:

Once again, Charlotte was the worst part of the show. Everything booked, written and performed by Charlotte feels like bad AI. It’s always been the case, but it’s even more noticeable now. She’s absolutely rubbish. There’s nothing there.

This is exactly how I feel about Tiffany Stratton. The pair of them are so similar - decent in ring, absolutely horrific outside of it. Stratton has been so terrible as of late, it’ll take a spectacular effort from someone else to dislodge her as my worst wrestler pick at the UKFF Awards for 2025. She has it in the bag, and it’s only March.

This episode dragged for me, although I found the Bianca/Naomi segment genuinely hilarious. Supremo summed it up well. Excellently performed, yet horrific at the same time. 

Cody’s promo was very good, but the fact they’re not even hinting at a Cena appearance concerns me. I would have expected Cody to call him out, or do something that leads to Cena rearing his head. I know he’s advertised for Glasgow, and I’m hopeful that they’ll follow through with that, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he didn’t utter a word until after Wrestlemania; with his appearances coming in the form of violent beatdowns, and perhaps ‘promos’ where he refuses to speak.

Posted
1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Is there something going on with the crowds? Have they changed the way they mic them? Are they bussing in lots of non fans?

For a little while now it's felt like nothing, not even a lot of the big stuff, is getting even half the reaction it would have a year ago. Even the Cena turn segment wasn't THAT hot (though the loudest bit was for 'go fuck yourself', so maybe it's just a thick crowd they have now).

It just felt really pronounced last night. Randy told a terrible joke about the 'rock bottom' to absolute crickets (the sort of joke WWE audience's tend to enjoy); Cody's promo had an allllrriigghhht reaction; some people stood up when LA Knight won a literal championship.

Everything just feels a bit flat.

I'm surprised you're even putting yourself through it. It doesn't seem like something you're particularly enjoying.

Your examples there:

Randy's joke was shit and didn't deserve a decent reaction.

Cody's promo was good but the problem with the feud is that Cena isn't around. Fair play to Cody for being a strong promo but we all know what the main thing is - a Cena follow up after the turn. It's like teasing at the moment. Ultimate frustration for every crowd that doesn't get to see him. Definitely the problem with part timer feuds of course. Would've been really great if they were able to follow up on the turn sooner.

La Knight just won a championship that doesn't mean anything off a guy who had a pointless reign. Probably got the reaction it deserved.

It was an unnecessarily long show full of middling stuff. The majority of it got the reaction it deserved really. I think the crowds are on the whole still hot when it's deserved but it felt like it was mostly treading water this week.

Posted
18 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I'm surprised you're even putting yourself through it. It doesn't seem like something you're particularly enjoying.

I don't really, at the minute. I watch segments of the people I enjoy.

I'd be amazed though if many wrestling fans held themselves to the standard 'if it's not for me for a couple of months, I'll stop watching'. There'd be no one left. I've been on this forum for 20 years, there was literal years of that time where wrestling was utter garbage.

So, I think I'd be mad to switch off. If you go back just a few months I was glowing with praise about the company. The Wrestlemania build just, broadly, isn't for me. But I enjoy Roman, Punk, Cody and Cena so I'll hang around for their bits and eventually more stuff will come along I like and I'll watch more, like I've always done. I'm going to Raw and Smackdown in a few weeks, and that'll be great.

Also, I'm all for people that aren't enjoying the product for whatever reasons getting involved in threads. Providing its good faith criticism of stuff they're not enjoying (but otherwise want to enjoy) that's what it's all about.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

 

Is there something going on with the crowds? Have they changed the way they mic them?

 

SRS actually reported they have stopped piping in a background sound since the Netflix show.

It’s also been mostly US audiences who tend to be a bit shitter. Next few weeks should be good in Europe.

Edited by FUM
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Another Smackdown almost completely interchangeable with any of the previous weeks. As an avid viewer during the Smackdown 6 era I've no issue with having a smaller roster putting on similar matches weeks on end, but this roster isn't it.

The good though;

  • Naomi getting real tears elevated a pretty shaky segment into something that at least felt real. I thought everyone involved did a good job even if it got a little screamy at times.
  • LA Knight getting the gold back. They've tried something new with Nakamura and it hasn't worked out, and they've course corrected the belt back onto Knight. Nothing wrong with that, but maybe it's time for Nakamura to head back down to NXT, head to AEW or go back to Japan. It's been said before but he peaked in his debut match with Sami back in 2016.

There's a lot of guff and filler on these shows though. More run of the mill stuff from Pretty Deadly, LWO, DIY and MCMG. Can't say I'd miss any of them. Solo managing to drag both Strowman and Jacob Fatu down to his level.
Cody and Randy's promos were decent but in front of a dead crowd.

Poor Chelsea Green though. She's like the opposite of the Jericho Vortex where she's clearly a star but she's sucking up all the shit around her to drag her down. Piper Niven, Alba Fyre, and an endless feud with Michin. It shouldn't be up to Green to try and elevate three people on her own when it's clear as day based on just the time two of them alone have been there that they're lost causes.
Michin especially; rubbish name, hair like Daisy Dares You off ZZZap, and it wasn't long ago she did an interview where she outright admitted she had no idea what her character is and that she can't connect with fans. She's not wrong either, but if that's the case do something different or leave. Who sits in their own job and does interviews going "god I'm a bit shit aren't I?" That's not going to get me to connect with you during your 10th match this month with Chelsea Green.

Best story going into Smackdown was that Jade Cargill, not used to working yet, legit tapped twice to a snug worked choke from Shayna Bayzler then allegedly kicked off backstage and told Bayzler she "doesn't know how to work" which made Bayzler want to fight her. Then apparently asked to not work the holiday tour and got told it was mandatory only to be wrote off with a mystery injury for months shortly after.
When the product is this stale during Mania season, give me all the backstage drama you can thanks.

The shine is definitely coming off on the WWE at the minute though and during what should be their hottest time. A new show format for Netflix that kills the pace of the show and fills it head to toe with adverts, a confused Rock-infested Mania build, Smackdown being nearly unwatchable and alleged backstage drama with multiple people. Can't rememeber the last time I went into the Rumble red hot and came out freezing cold on the other side before Mania even swang around and it wasn't due to the Rumble winners.

Edited by FLips
Posted

The Naomi segment was utter shite. As was her "BIANCA!" before being slammed. Some guy commented on YouTube that her screaming Bianca was "Haunting" I'm a WWE fan but these loser fans make it hard. 

Posted
1 hour ago, FUM said:

SRS actually reported they have stopped piping in a background sound since the Netflix show.

It’s also been mostly US audiences who tend to be a bit shitter. Next few weeks should be good in Europe.

If they don't play Freddie Mercury and Montserrat Caballe's 'Barcelona' as an intro song with wrestling clips as a background I'm going to consider it an opportunity wasted. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...