Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

These 3 hour Smackdowns are really starting to wear me down. A lot of filler.

Jacob Fatu is class, and he instantly brought Priest up to his level even though Priest is meant to be the star. Priest just doesn't have it though. Muddy look, pretendy wrestler voice during promos, doesn't blow you away in the ring. He's an "almost there" in every category but thankfully being in there with LA Knight and Jacob Fatu pulled him up the same way it did with Tama Tonga rather than them pull the other two down.

I might just be more excited for a Punk vs Owens main event than I am a Cody one. When they did the Rumble package and said if Roman wins it will be his 10th main event I almost threw up in my mouth and it took the blinkers off me for a second after a great couple of years to just how sick of him I was for almost a decade.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I’m loving myself some Saturday morning Smackdown. Yes, it would be better as a 2-hour show, but heading into it armed with the fast forward button, it’s a great way to start the weekend. And I didn’t even use the button that much.

Owens/Punk was very intriguing and made me realise just how much I want to see that match. I’d happily trade Punk for Cody just to see that match this year - perhaps at Summerslam?

Jacob Fatu continues to terrify me, and at the very least there should be a US title win in his future. I’m looking forward to finding out where Solo comes into all of this.

Jimmy Uso is a strange one. He’s better than Jey on the mic and in ring, yet it still feels like something is missing. I suspect he’d have ended up being a bigger deal had he not dealt with personal problems in the past. But as it stands, he feels rather insignificant. 

I’m enjoying the story of Carmello Hates struggling to put people away with the moves that worked for him in NXT. I suspect face turn is in his future. 

It’s been a while since anyone has said this, but Santos Escobar is seriously underutilised. I’d really like to see him get a push when the transfer window shuts, and the rosters settle.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Watching this show made me think about that Rob Fee fella, who they hired a few years back as, “Director of Long Term Creative.”

You can see his fingerprints everywhere, and I appreciate the way they’re always referring to past storylines and trying to tie a through line through history. Sometimes, it’s genuinely impressive the way they pretend it’s always been a well-plotted narrative rather than nearly two decades of a scatterbrained nutcase changing plans every afternoon.

However, I’m absolutely sick of everyone going on about who has and hasn’t Main Evented Wrestlemania. It’s became the new, “No Clear Path to Wrestlemania.,” trope. Makes Mania sound less like a destination to settle scores or win Championships, and more like a party everyone wants to attend.

It’s why I want something massive like a CM Punk heel turn. I’d much rather he goes to Mania with a chunky, substantial storyline, rather than a continuation of his eternal quest for the VIP invitation.

 

  • Paid Members
Posted
3 hours ago, Supremo said:

It’s why I want something massive like a CM Punk heel turn. I’d much rather he goes to Mania with a chunky, substantial storyline, rather than a continuation of his eternal quest for the VIP invitation.

I’m very, very conflicted on this, as a CM Punk heel turn means no Owens/Punk in the short term, and I really want to see that feud. You could turn Owens face again I suppose, but he’s such a fantastic heel that I don’t want to see that right now either! 

  • Paid Members
Posted

So I decided to watch it this morning, a combination of it being Rumble season reigniting my interest (just like last year) and it now being on Netflix making it more accessible, meant I was pretty keen to part watch part skip while Mrs raid does her exercises. I didn’t watch all the tallky bits but at least parts of all the matches.

New commentary lad is good. I wouldn’t drag him for not knowing some of the moves, as it’s far better than trying to hard and getting them wrong (cough, Mauro) and he was an easy listen. I don’t like McAfee, or new announcement woman - she seems to overdo everything.

Uso vs Hayes, I enjoyed, although “Big Jim” as a nickname reminded me of Corrie. The fact I didn’t know what either of their finishes are made me buy about three of the near falls and the finish was decent. Perfect match to half watch while I chopped veggies.

Chelsea’s the best, isn’t she? When I caught this match was for the belt I assumed it might be a good spot for a title change since the title won’t be up at the Rumble but when I saw B-Fab with Michin, the energy made me think she would turn and cost Michin. So, I was twice wrong. Finish I liked, proper 80s/90s TV vibe. If i didn’t know better I’d swear it was designed to make us buy tickets for the house show matches. I assume we’ll get to a rematch where Niven is banned from ringside and either Michin will win or B-Fab will cost her. Imagine, a singles feud over neither of their singles titles? Almost sounds like depth.

8-man tag confused me no end to begin with. When Pretty Deadly came out as DIYs partners I thought “Did they turn Legolas & Turner face??” until I clocked DIY are now heels. Then LDF came out to partner the Guns and I thought they had turned face, but I assume I’m wrong there too? Really jarring that Shelley & Sabin were just introduced as “Motor City Machine Guns” and not “The Motor City Machine Guns” to me. They do it with The Unholy Union too, and I don’t get it. One of LDF did the Beautiful Disaster… is Cody not doing that anymore or are they not so petty about that kind of thing these days? Perfect match to half watch while I did the washing up. But I have to ask, why did she just announce the winners as the Guns? Or, sorry… Guns? It was an 8-man tag? Just because LWO skins flounced doesn’t mean they didn’t win? Or… was it suddenly a straight tag? In which case, the champions got beat and I should invoke Garth. After the match it dawned on me that the only reason The Usos haven’t held tag belts (together) for so long is because they’ve spent most of the time since not existing as a tag team. It wouldn’t surprise me if come Mania, if they aren’t fucking about with the Islanders and/or Headshrinkers, they win one set of belts or the other.

Is it only just me who doesn’t care about Charlotte coming back? I’ve never bought into her being “the best” never mind “best ever” and she’s a smug cunt that they always position as a babyface. Conversely … Kevin Owens, what a guy. Just perfect as the villain whose point you can understand. A great Doom to Cody’s Reed Richards.

Naomi vs Liv Morgan I thought was surprisingly decent considering I’ve always considered both a bit B- for making their stuff look good and actually having a coherent match. Naomi does some good stuff mind, and it was an OK match though I thought that flying codebreaker was a bit much if it wasn’t the finish. A talent like Bianca reduced to playing cheerleader here? That’s not fair to Belair.

Andrade vs Miz - maybe I’m crazy but I thought this was pretty good and their styles meshed quite well. Shiranui Kai/solo Spanish Fly for only 2 though? FUCK that. Indy wank. I had to laugh when Barrett described Miz as one of the most decorated of “his generation” and mentioned “2 time Grand Slam champion” as if that matters.

Tiffy didn’t deserve that. Wait… is she a sympathetic babyface now?? That sucks, cancel the Trish match.

Priest & Knight vs The Bloodline for a main event was… a choice. I suppose it does at least draw Jacob into the orbit of another… do we call Damian a main eventer? Technically we have to even though his title run was defined by third parties costing his challengers and in the end, himself. And speaking of Knight, it felt such a big deal when he won the US title from Logan, but as soon as he dropped it to Nakamura I feel like I forgot that belt even exists. Fatu continues to impress, if we lost out on Cody vs Rock and Reigns vs Punk so now it’s going to be Cody vs Punk,  I wouldn’t mind Reigns vs Jacob at Mania. Doesn’t stand out on a marquee but I’d enjoy watching it.

Very inoffensive watch, overall.

Posted

Fair play to anyone still watching 3 hour smackdowns, I tapped out after the first one. Life's short enough as it is.

Caught a few clips. Owens/Punk is interesting. I would have that as Punks first feud after he beats Cody for the belt. Fatu is also a highlight, absolutely superb. Not sure what I want from him at Mania but I hope it's a prominent role.

Rest of it looked like pointless drivel.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Didn't watch it but I watched Punk and Owens, which, going against the flow here, I don't want to see despite this segment being alright.

Because all it will become is what we all feared Rollins and Punk would become. It'll be work-shooty and the matches will become a mess as a knock-on effect. There's plenty of people these guys could be working with, they don't need to do this. I like both Owens and Punk but I'm fairly sure it would be shit.

Posted
4 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Didn't watch it but I watched Punk and Owens, which, going against the flow here, I don't want to see despite this segment being alright.

Because all it will become is what we all feared Rollins and Punk would become. It'll be work-shooty and the matches will become a mess as a knock-on effect. There's plenty of people these guys could be working with, they don't need to do this. I like both Owens and Punk but I'm fairly sure it would be shit.

The moment Punk talked about how Kev screws over Sami all the time I was waiting for the shooty wankfest to begin. Tremendous restraint by KO not to make a Colt of Personality jibe or some such. If they could avoid all that kind of thing I think there’s tremendous potential for a cracking feud.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

The moment Punk talked about how Kev screws over Sami all the time I was waiting for the shooty wankfest to begin. Tremendous restraint by KO not to make a Colt of Personality jibe or some such. If they could avoid all that kind of thing I think there’s tremendous potential for a cracking feud.

He's a professional in fairness. He may think phil is a cock but he won't fuck up storylines 

  • Paid Members
Posted
28 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Tremendous restraint by KO not to make a Colt of Personality jibe or some such.

I'd forgotten that's the reason he hates him too. That lot are headcases. Fucking grow up.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I'd forgotten that's the reason he hates him too. That lot are headcases. Fucking grow up.

I think there’s some twitter beef thrown in too but hey, who doesn’t want a screwball scramble cage match on the grandest stage of all featuring Punk, KO, Sami and Seth. Rob Feinstein special guest ref. Is Teddy Hart still alive?

Posted
On 1/26/2025 at 11:16 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Going to ignore these comments about Charlotte Flair. Arseholes.

Then Owens came out in another award winning top choice. Disturbing they sell Naomi tops in XXXXL though.

Blinking Ryan Gosling GIF by The Academy Awards

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...