When shitarses get over

tiger_rick

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah, I thought so too. Some years ago I bought tiger_rick's compilations of the Raven/Dreamer and Sandman/Dreamer feuds, and the only things I found memorable were what the heels did. The matches weren't really all that much to write home about, but they were at least mildly interesting when the heels were in control - when it was Dreamer's shine or fire, it was just boring at best, and annoying at worst. 

He had no character, either. What was Tommy Dreamer? Even without over-the-top gimmicks, I still couldn't figure him out. Raven was a grungy cult leader, Sandman a dirty drunk bastard, the Dudley Boyz pill-heads, Rob Van Dam an arrogant martial artist, Rhino a deranged man-beast, Taz a proto-MMA gimmick. Dreamer was just a bloke who got beaten up a lot and did high spots. Also, his promos were dross - I know Raven's promos are a bit over-rated, but they were intriguing and outside the usual style, whereas Dreamer indulged in the same "mystic" language, but just came across like he was copying Raven badly. When both guys are doing the "dark grunge/Goth" style in their promos, and one's both shit at it and doing a complete non-character, it doesn't really work all that well.

• Paid Members

Indeed - Sheepherders vs. The Fantastics got five stars from the Observer.

Though "they were a really great violent hardcore team before they went to the Fed" is a bit of a "Hogan did way more moves in Japan" bit of received "smart mark" wisdom. 

• Paid Members

I'd argue the Bushwhackers were the very opposite of shitarses - they got over massively for the least amount of effort, pure gimmick. Didn't even need to go over. Every time I saw them on screen, they were jobbing, but nobody cared because they were too busy doing the arm swings.

Just watching that electric ten man tag from the 7th February Raw in 2000. The Rock, Cactus Jack, Rikishi & Too Cool vs DX & the Radicalz. Practically every spot is electric with compelling, believable and/or colourful characters everywhere you look.

Except for Grandmaster Sexay who - though undeniably over due to his proximity to Scotty and the Worm - gives a masterclass in Shitarsery with his shite facials, crap work, and bladdered gammon look.

Grandmaster Sexay - first tier shitarse.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

As two guys whose Hasbros made up half of my collection as a kid, the Bushwhackers get a lifetime pass from me for any accusations of shitarsery.

This was the only thing which made me question myself suggesting them because their Hasbros were some of my favourites. But we also had good Hasbros of Nailz and Skinner so having a good Hasbro does not make them a pass for me.

Archived