When shitarses get over

tiger_rick

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
17 hours ago, Pinc said:

Happy to endorse Dreamer as a shitarse. One of the better shouts in the thread.

i'll always have time for Dreamer as an ECW fan, i also like his podcast, but seeing him going through his routine in the ring these days is tough going, those Dusty pants he wears are shockers too.

23 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Yeah, I thought so too. Some years ago I bought tiger_rick's compilations of the Raven/Dreamer and Sandman/Dreamer feuds, and the only things I found memorable were what the heels did. The matches weren't really all that much to write home about, but they were at least mildly interesting when the heels were in control - when it was Dreamer's shine or fire, it was just boring at best, and annoying at worst. 

He had no character, either. What was Tommy Dreamer? Even without over-the-top gimmicks, I still couldn't figure him out. Raven was a grungy cult leader, Sandman a dirty drunk bastard, the Dudley Boyz pill-heads, Rob Van Dam an arrogant martial artist, Rhino a deranged man-beast, Taz a proto-MMA gimmick. Dreamer was just a bloke who got beaten up a lot and did high spots. Also, his promos were dross - I know Raven's promos are a bit over-rated, but they were intriguing and outside the usual style, whereas Dreamer indulged in the same "mystic" language, but just came across like he was copying Raven badly. When both guys are doing the "dark grunge/Goth" style in their promos, and one's both shit at it and doing a complete non-character, it doesn't really work all that well.

He was the innovator of violence! He didn't have a gimmick so much as a story; white meat babyface in ridiculous braces who took a lickin' and kept on tickin', eventually earning the grudging respect of the audience through sheer durability and t-shirt wearing. He was like ECW's mascot - willing to do pretty much anything to get a pop. It started when he took the cane shots and yelled, "Thank you sir, may I have another!" He wasn't much of a promo, but he was capable of getting the crowd on his side by being the ultimate company man. The bingo hall denizens saw something of themselves in Dreamer, and Foley saw enough there to dedicate his best promos to Dreamer's sacrificial lamb act. Not a shitarse in my book, but there's no way he'd have had a career in any other promotion. 

One of ECW's best things was the Miserlou Montage: it was a great way to get people over in a short space of time. Dreamer was good brooding next to Beulah McSluttypants, and Raven deserves a medal for keeping a straight face while Foley was ranting about Mikey Whipwreck's eating disorder:

Archived