Keith Flint dead at 49

Harry Wiseau

The building of the layers on Break & Enter is so fucking glorious it’s unreal.

Saw them a couple of times, but the best was at Download one year in one of the tents. It was so overcrowded they had a line of security stopping people getting in about 30 minutes before. People were climbing the poles (rigs?) holding up the tent and Maxim said they’d been advised to stop until everyone got down. Everyone did and he said “Alright let’s keep it calm” and then they played Breathe. Lol.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Fat Of The Land is a storming album, and Experience is one of those albums I have on standby in case I need to be somewhere in a hurry. I once walked somewhere so quickly while listening to it that the pedometer app on my phone thought I'd cycled. It's a heck of a loss, especially at that age, made even sadder knowing that he took his own life. Poor guy. 

• Paid Members

The Prodigy wiped out the idea of genre when it came to them. Rap, rave, rock, pop, it was all there. They were heavier than any band that pretended to be "metal" without ever labeling themselves as such. You took a look at them and so many different styles and images mesh together to create this incredible band. Completely threw the scabble board in the air during a time when BritPop was at its height. And Keith was that image to most people. That Firestarter video is as iconic to me as Michael Jackson's Thriller or Ron Jeremy's Freak of the Week.

Keith was also a top shagger as well. Prime Gail Porter. Jayne Middlemiss. Denise Van Outen. He lived a life in the 90s.

Ah, this one stings.  A mate of mine was a bit of a well known persona on the rave scene due to his involvement with Amnesia House (Who put on possibly the first legal rave in the UK).  Amnesia's main man got married at one of their raves and spent his wedding night with my mate and The Prodigy with plenty of drugs!

When Firestarter was causing a hullabaloo in Middle England, he found it funny because Keith was such a nice bloke.  Whenever The Prodigy were in the midlands, Keith made sure my mate and his partner were on the guest list.  There was a bit of a silly spat in rave because some people said Prodigy killed the rave scene with Charley, that's why in the video for Out Of Space, Keith is taking the piss out of Altern8 as they were one of the ones who said it.

• Paid Members

The Prodigy to me represents the romance of my 90s youth. Eric Cantona, Power Rangers, Live & Kicking, Gail Porter (nice one, Keith), Oasis, Puffa Jackets, the toy bit at John Menzies, no mobiles or internet, busy high streets, staying the weekend at my Gran and Grandads, Playstation, WWF, pocket money, warm school holiday seemingly lasting more months than it did, going to the pictures with my Dad, school, Heartbeat the night before going back to school, The Prodigy etc.

I have three distinct memories whenever I hear certain Prodigy songs. Out of Space / Poison always remind me of the early 90s because my cousin looked after me when my parents were working and he had decks in his house, so would blare those two songs. I can even picture the decor.
Firestarter and the video, I agree, as iconic as anything in the 90s, proper remind me of going round my old mans after my parents split up. My Dad loved FOTL, being a Pistols fan and was so enthused when he saw and heard that song/video.
Breathe reminds me of when I moved down to the Scottish Borders with my Mum and in the morning, in our modest but cosy flat, Breathe was on the telly all the time it seemed, not only on the telly but on the drive to school - cold, dark winter mornings in strange new surroundings etc.

How can you fuck with that for a legacy? For a large group of people your music is associated with a decade and cherished memories that will stay that way. Proper bloody tunes too.

My heart does ache that he took his life. It seems relentless the bodies suicide has claimed in recent years and, again, highlights what a brutal illness it is.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

There was a bit of a silly spat in rave because some people said Prodigy killed the rave scene with Charley, that's why in the video for Out Of Space, Keith is taking the piss out of Altern8 as they were one of the ones who said it.

Great little anecdote, I never knew that he was taking the piss out of Altern-8 but it makes perfect sense now I picture it.

Mixmag were instrumental in claiming The Prodigy killed rave after Charley and Liam took it pretty badly. So badly he released their next track as an unnamed white label. Everyone went mad for it, found out it was The Prodigy, the track became 'One Love' and they were adored thereafter.

Fat of the Land is just so.. industrial.  It reminds me of early Black Sabbath or something.  The combination of literal metal smashing, sword strike samples and the like as percussion with gritty synths, just amazing.  They managed to take that really filthy hardcore sound that you'd hear in the furthest flung tent at a rave, and polish it into a commercial sound without really losing any of the rawness.

When Keith stepped up to become their front man, as opposed to their Bez, they were transformed into this post-MTV live act that was pretty much one of the best things you'd ever see in the flesh, especially when compared with the riding boredom of acts like Chemical Brothers.

I'd love to have done a remix of one of their tracks, just to get hold of the samples and see what some of those sounds were!

Really sad news, especially considering he'd beaten his drug addictions at least once.

Piers Morgan using emojis whilst piggy backing on Blunt's lovely tribute just makes me hate him more.

I don't think there's a more iconic image of 90's pop culture than Keith Flint with his pierced tongue out. RIP.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Mr_Danger said:

Piers Morgan using emojis whilst piggy backing on Blunt's lovely tribute just makes me hate him more.

I don't think there's a more iconic image of 90's pop culture than Keith Flint with his pierced tongue out. RIP.

I used it literally as I wanted to get both of blunts tweets in one shot, but we all know piers is a right tosser 

Archived