Keith Flint dead at 49

Harry Wiseau

• Paid Members

I was genuinely gutted to hear the news this morning. Like many of us here, I'm in that perfect age group for The Prodigy to have been a huge influence during my teenage years, and beyond. For all the 90's nostalgia in the thread, the band are still class to this day, still with a sound entirely of their own. I've been listening to their latest album a lot lately and it's great.

I only saw them live once- headlining The Other Stage at Glastonbury ten years ago. Nearly everyone we were with wanted to watch Blur but me and one mate fucked them off to see Keith do his thing. The field was bouncing, it was fucking brilliant.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Super sad news. Such a shame. Poor guy. They made a good chunk of the soundtrack to my teenage years and I was always very fond of them but I'd sort of put them away for want of a better word after Fat of the Land. However when they released Invaders Must Die I was blown away. It was a perfect soundtrack to my life at the time. Not only that I genuinely think it's their best album. I was thought Fat of the Land lost that raveness. Invaders found away to blend the industrial with the rave perfectly. I bloody love it.

I only saw them once at Reading. Needless to say they tore the fucking house down. I really regret putting off seeing them again now. Really horrible news.

• Paid Members

The Prodigy and Keith dancing and evolving into singing have been with me since the 90s kicked off. A good friend was massively into rave culture and that sparked everyone in our group to indulge, Dreamscape tape collections of Micky Finn were a must have to fit in. 

I was 13 and had just learnt to roll cigarettes, as was the norm we spent weekends camping out on land belonging to a friend, the Walkman and shite battery powered speakers would be out and an array of dance music would pour from those tinny sounding speakers,  things like a 4 non blondes "what's up" remix for example. This one evening everyone had drifted off to sleep but I was still stirring. Weather Experience came on through the Walkman, the basic white album cover strewn next to the player, I rolled a ciggy lay back and smoked it as I let all 8 minutes of that masterpiece wash over me before drifting off myself. 

That is my Will Wheaton in Stand By Me coming face to face with a deer moment, sat with friends I don't see any more as we all grew up and moved on or away, but in that group experience I had a fantastic moment all to myself, and The Prodigy are at the forefront of that memory. The band, and all it's members are special,  but when Keith became their physical manifestation of what they were,  he became even more special. 

This death has really fucked me about. 

You've just reminded me how easy it was to spot undercover plod at raves.  They'd be stood there in a shell suit, wearing a bandana, and nursing a can of bitter while nodding along to the music.  

The Prodigy are one of my favourite bands and Fat Of The Land one of my favourite albums. Firestarter blew my mind as well as my ears when I first heard it way back then. They have such a catalog of hits too.

Seeing them live a few years ago was one of the best nights out of my life.

Sad news. R.I.P.

• Moderators

Probably not a fan of the artwork in the inside of Jilted Generation though, eh Teedy?

I remember showing the gatefold LP to my mate saying how cool the picture was and how it was nice to have it in a big print on LP but he was less than impressed. I forgot he was a cop... In my defense we had both taken a pill or three.

daltzCTyTAPmCJM-800x450-noPad.jpg.e8737b4c360d231b5e9ff3dbea070c44.jpg

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Probably not a fan of the artwork in the inside of Jilted Generation though, eh Teedy?

I remember showing the gatefold LP to my mate saying how cool the picture was and how it was nice to have it in a big print on LP but he was less than impressed. I forgot he was a cop... In my defense we had both taken a pill or three.

Wow I had completely forgotten that art until now. Thanks for that. Since I went digital I haven't actually touched my CD of it in years. (I still buy CDs because I love physical media but I just rip them and they go into the collection)

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I have spent many an hour discussing the scale of that middle finger in relation to his body, and yet I can remember nothing at all about those conversations. 

• Paid Members

My friend's wife "went viral" yesterday with this great recollection. Reminds me of our first birth. We had late night love affair on for some calming romantic songs. Then the crazy frog advert came on. Wife went apeshit.

When i was a kid i used to go to various Motorbike events with my old man and met Keith a couple of times in the paddock as he was a big fan of bike racing, I think i was a bit intimidated of him as a kid as he looked quite scary but in the brief exchanges was anything but, really knew his stuff in regard to Bikes.

Archived