Perfect Albums

Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

'Proper punk' (as all the elitists call it) doesn't really hold up bar a few tunes here and there. You can shout about the Ramones and The Monks all you like, but they were proper crap when it came to crafting a fine selection of songs that don't wear you out by track four. Have you ever sat down and listened to an album by any of those 70's punk acts? You'll want to switch off after 5 minutes. Go and listen to The Bronx or La Dispute and tell me that The Sex Pistols are anywhere in their league.

They are all incredibly, massively influential, and a lot of the bands I listen to it wouldn't be around if it weren't for them, but none have really put out a perfect album, front to back. You can honor the greats that laid the path, but you can't look 'Road To Ruin' and say that it's a perfect album.

On the Green Day/Offspring front, I was always a Green Day guy. 'Dookie' is a masterpiece and never lets up. Offspring are good but the likes of 'Pretty Fly' and 'Original Pranksta' put me off them when I was in my brooding nu-metal phase. They're great to go back and listen to now though. The likes of 'Jennifer Lost The War' are brilliant punk songs.

Actually, the best thing that involved the Ramones is their period on Chrysalis records, which was even better than their more celebrated heyday in the 70s. Dee Dee writing amazing songs like Pet Sematary and Poison Heart. Coupled with Joey's lugubrious sneer of a vocal and Johnny's pioneering buzzsaw guitar it doesn't get much better, unless, of course, you like moronic shit like Green Day and Offspring, millionaires providing a soundtrack to people with nothing to complain about in their malls. 

8 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

'Proper punk' (as all the elitists call it) doesn't really hold up bar a few tunes here and there. You can shout about the Ramones and The Monks all you like, but they were proper crap when it came to crafting a fine selection of songs that don't wear you out by track four. Have you ever sat down and listened to an album by any of those 70's punk acts? You'll want to switch off after 5 minutes. Go and listen to The Bronx or La Dispute and tell me that The Sex Pistols are anywhere in their league.

They are all incredibly, massively influential, and a lot of the bands I listen to it wouldn't be around if it weren't for them, but none have really put out a perfect album, front to back. You can honor the greats that laid the path, but you can't look 'Road To Ruin' and say that it's a perfect album.

On the Green Day/Offspring front, I was always a Green Day guy. 'Dookie' is a masterpiece and never lets up. Offspring are good but the likes of 'Pretty Fly' and 'Original Pranksta' put me off them when I was in my brooding nu-metal phase. They're great to go back and listen to now though. The likes of 'Jennifer Lost The War' are brilliant punk songs.

What absolute twaddle. I listen to Black Monk Time all the time because it's a breathtaking wonder of anger, banjo and lyrics that had never been done before. Yes, I "sit down" and listen to them quite a lot. I do not switch off after 5 minutes, but rather let the greatness wash over me for an hour or so and get bitter about how terrible music is now. Can we talk about Frank Zappa and Dinosaur Jr now?

Edited by Brewster McCloud

• Paid Members

The Ramones are fucking great, but were always at their best when Joey Ramone was allowed to play at being Ronnie Spector and channel the pop group he always deep down wanted them to be. But, like all the girl groups Joey Ramone emulated, they were about great singles, not perfectly constructed albums. The more they leaned into "punk", the less interesting they were.

The Monks were great, but they broke up years before "punk" was a thing. They were a mad fuzzy garage band, but they weren't punk any more than The Sonics 

The Pistols had some great tracks, but history has been very kind to them by ignoring the amount of dross and bad publicity stunts they were sensible for. They're probably the least interesting band any member of the Sex Pistols has been in.

The Stooges are great, though.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

I've just remembered the answer. It's The Duckworth Lewis Method - The Duckworth Lewis Method.

A fine album.

Any love for Yashimi Battles The Pink Robots?

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

What absolute twaddle. I listen to Black Monk Time all the time because it's a breathtaking wonder of anger, banjo and lyrics that had never been done before. Yes, I "sit down" and listen to them quite a lot. I do not switch after 5 minutes, but rather let it wash over me for an hour or so and get bitter about how terrible music is now. Can we talk about Frank Zappa and Dinosaur Jr now?

IdealSaneGelding-size_restricted.gif

18 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

it doesn't get much better, unless, of course, you like moronic shit like Green Day and Offspring, millionaires providing a soundtrack to people with nothing to complain about in their malls. 

12 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

Yes, I "sit down" and listen to them quite a lot. I do not switch off after 5 minutes, but rather let the greatness wash over me for an hour or so and get bitter about how terrible music is now. Can we talk about Frank Zappa and Dinosaur Jr now?

giphy.gif

Edited by Accident Prone

The_Teardrop_Explodes_-_Kilimanjaro_.jpg

Nominating the fuck out of this, and all. It's the perfect combination of poppy and a bit mind bendy the whole way through. It's fun, you can shake your stuff to it, every song is class, it's funny as fuck and it flies by. I think the start of every single song makes me grin. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

22 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

The Ramones are fucking great, but were always at their best when Joey Ramone was allowed to play at being Ronnie Spector and channel the pop group he always deep down wanted them to be. But, like all the girl groups Joey Ramone emulated, they were about great singles, not perfectly constructed albums. The more they leaned into "punk", the less interesting they were.

The Monks were great, but they broke up years before "punk" was a thing. They were a mad fuzzy garage band, but they weren't punk any more than The Sonics 

The Pistols had some great tracks, but history has been very kind to them by ignoring the amount of dross and bad publicity stunts they were sensible for. They're probably the least interesting band any member of the Sex Pistols has been in.

The Stooges are great, though.

That's what made The Ramones brilliant: girl group sensibility + punk sneer = a bloody exciting band. I'd say they were a live band more than a singles or album band as they played so many shows it was ridiculous, just firing them out night after night despite hating each other. 

The Monks weren't technically punk, but I'd make a case for them being one of the first, very much pioneers. Same with Eddie Cochrane.

Never Mind The Bollocks is a perfect album - I first heard it when I was about 10 and I still go back to it now. Rotten's vocals were like a bomb going off in my head, much like when I first heard Straight Outta Compton by NWA. What dross? They didn't have a long enough time in the limelight to produce much dross! Maybe some of Sid's offerings...

Anyway, a couple of more nominations: If I Should Fall From Grace With God by the Pogues and Flood by They Might Be Giants. Not a dull moment on either. 

Edited by Brewster McCloud

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

What dross? They didn't have a long enough time in the limelight to produce much dross! Maybe some of Sid's offerings...

The entirety of Great Rock N Roll Swindle, collaborating with Ronnie Biggs, daft publicity stunt after daft publicity stunt. There are some good tracks on Bollocks, but if they hadn't been headline grabbers, we wouldn't be talking about them in this conversation at all. Again, Bollocks has great singles, but I wouldn't say it's a perfect album.

I'd agree on Flood, though. I'd probably give Rum, Sodomy & The Lash the nod over If I Should Fall From Grace With God, even though the latter contains most of my favourite Pogues songs - RS&TL is just a little less bloated.

I reckon there'll be plenty on here who've never heard of Mad Caddies but "Keep It Going" is flawless. A lot of their older stuff is great but this is next level. A ska punk band throwing in influences from new Orleans, mariachi and reggae. The CD has been in the car and played regularly since the album came out 12 years ago. Cracking live band too.

Mad_Caddies-Keep_It_Going.jpg

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

I'd probably give Rum, Sodomy & The Lash the nod over If I Should Fall From Grace With God, even though the latter contains most of my favourite Pogues songs - RS&TL is just a little less bloated.

100% agree on this. RS&L is probably the most efficient, consistent album The Pogues put out, and certainly the closest thing to a contender for this thread they ever produced. That said, If I Should Fall From Grace With God has a few more of the bigger hitters for me, especially when it comes to stuff I like to hear live.