MMA is shite: Fury vs Wilder

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Added a poll. Be interesting to see what the feeling is on how this goes. Opinion seems split almost right down the middle from bits and bobs I’m reading, listening to and from conversations I’ve had. 

I’m feeling a Wilder stoppage but I’m really unsure. I get the impression Fury is up for it. He doesn’t strike me as the type who would take a fight like this purely to cash out. He must’ve fancied it is my thinking. Whether it’s too soon or not is anyone’s guess but I don’t think he’s taking it purely as a payday. He seems like a man who would absolutely hate losing. But like Jim said earlier, I can see Fury being up on the cards and boxing rings around Wilder, then Wilder catches him with something and either puts him out or stuns him enough to swarm him for the stoppage. I just think 12 rounds is going to be too long a time for Fury to avoid the killshot. Either way, whoever wins we need to see them against Joshua next year. Enough with the fucking about. 

I admit to not having seen many Wilder fights, but I have seen Fury a few times, and I'm picking Wilder in this one.  Fury's just such an odd fighter, and after all he's been through  over the past few years I can't believe he's genuinely ready for this fight.  

That said, he's never been beaten and I was dead wrong about the Klitschko fight.   But either way, it's the winner v Joshua that I'm most interested in. 

It should be a cracking fight. I think Fury's boxing ability is going to be counter-balanced by Wilder's awkwardness in the ring. Taking all this weight off in a short space of time is a disadvantage too for Fury. One bomb from Wilder will be enough for Fury to go down, he's been put down by smaller and weaker puncher fighters before. But it will depend if he can come back from it.

The rest of the card looks terrible. All one sided fights. Whoever match-made Jarrett Hurd vs. Jason Wellborn needs to find a new career choice. Horrible mismatch in ability.

If Fury wins this, it's proper movie storyline Rocky shit. Coming back from where he was? A guy who won it all, threw it away and suffered mental health issues, ballooned up and was a laughing stock? Imagine if he returned and won a branch of the heavyweight title again after that? Fucking hell.

7 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Fabulous post Wand.

I hope Fury gets the piss slapped out of him.

That’s a strange take.

He’s an oddball, with some outdated opinions, but listening to him recently (particularly on the JRE podcast) I’ve found it hard to root against him.

The way he’s fought back from the brink and put himself in this position is pretty inspiring - and the fact it’s made him want to do things for others is great.

I’m Team Fury on this one.

I want Fury to win but have a gut feeling that Wilder wins on points.

A lot of people have wrote Fury off because of his layoff and issues but he's worked so hard to get back into shape and a more positive position than he's been in since 2015. His body shape and damage done to it whilst on the sidelines is a point of issue but I think it's been over-hyped, it's not as if he was doing a Ricky Hatton between fights, he's always been in moderate shape before his issues hit hard and once he was committed to returning he has put significant effort into rectifing that.

As other people said, Fury usually plays to the level of his opponent and that could work in his favour here as he's been underestimated throughout his career, coming out victorious each time. He got heavily ragged on for the Pianeta fight but I feel there was more to it than what most people saw. He needed the rounds badly, although there was little in the way of power, his output was higher than usual with a large number of body shots and lastly, I think he did it to throw many people off his scent.

Afterwards he looked easy pickings to most of the Top 10's including Wilder and that's a massive mistake to make with any boxer. I'd love Fury to smash Wilder within six rounds and serenade us with some sounds but it's a mighty challenge.

Wilder gets a lot of shite too about his record and how it can't box but he's knocked every opponent he's faced out and is WBC World Heavyweight Boxing champion so he's not that bad. I have nothing but respect for Wilder the person but the character he's become and moving towards sours me and that's more his team getting in his head than Wilder himself. When he actually utilises his skills he's better than most credit him, everyone is saying that Fury has to watch out for the right hand bombs he throws and whilst true his right straight and jab are just as effective when he chooses to put them into action.

All in all, I can't wait until fight night. I want Fury to win but whoever wins, they will have earnt it and I hope they both give us a good showing. 

• Paid Members

Fury coming back after all he's overcome and winning the HW title is such movie nonsense that it seems too impossible. I really hope he does it, because it will truly be one of the greatest moments in sports.

However, I just don't fancy his chances of avoiding getting tested by Wilder in all those rounds.e

Also, the insightful Paulie Maliganngigii breaks it down:

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

He’s an oddball, with some outdated opinions

He's a scumbag. A fucking good boxer and a strong character but not someone I could ever remotely like or support.

That said, if he wins this, it will increase my respect for him as a fighter. To do what he did to big Vlad is impressive - to do it twice would be remarkable.

I like Wilder but his attempts to get that awful Bomb Squad catchphrase over are embarrassing. I can't wait for this fight - don't mind either man winning but hope Tyson can pull it off. 

Foreman, Ali, Patterson, Tyson, Lewis and Holyfield all regained the heavyweight title but has anyone else? Fury being in the company of those men would be an unreal achievement. I think he would also be the first man to regain the heavyweight title without having been defeated too. Proper sports movie stuff.

On a side note, does Wilder need to win this more than Fury? If Fury loses, I can still see at some point him getting a Joshua fight (Warren/Hearn bollocks depending) given his name value in the UK especially.

But if Wilder loses, does he ever get Joshua? Will the interest ever be there?

Archived