MPDTT

All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

This is a fun hype video.

The more I think about it, the more Pac stands out as their best acquisition by a condierable margin. He'd been gone so long that I'd forgotten how great his run as Cruiserweight champion was. That promo he cut on Adam Page brought it all back. The lad's the full package. I'd make him champion and have guys like Omega and (hopefully) Ibushi chase him.

5 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

If anything, working in Lush would to Havoc’s advantage. He can sell Ambrose a few bath bombs, the scruffy git

That's how the fued starts, Ambrose comes out on TV the next week covered in glitter that won't come off.

27 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Does former WWE champion Dean Ambrose squashing a guy who looks like he works part time in Lush elevate him in any way though? Not for me. Havoc looks like a guy any credible wrestler SHOULD be squashing.

What kind of cesspit do you live in where a guy who looks like Jimmy Havoc works at Lush?!

Ah, Southampton. Well that explains everything. 

20 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

That's how the fued starts, Ambrose comes out on TV the next week covered in glitter that won't come off.

Leading to a Barbed-Wire, Landmine and Time-Bathbomb Match hopefully 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Culminating at their headline show “Land of Soap and Glory”

fuck off I know it was shit but I am running on minimal sleep as my daughter is ill. 

4 hours ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Does former WWE champion Dean Ambrose squashing a guy who looks like he works part time in Lush elevate him in any way though? Not for me. Havoc looks like a guy any credible wrestler SHOULD be squashing.

Ambrose showing off his weapons and hardcore style to an audience unlikely to have seen the side of his act against a guy willing to take all kinds of punishment and is an Czw tournament of death isn’t the same as you have put it like a jobber being squished. Everyone watching this will have seen ambrose as champion. But this would establish another side not seen against someone with credibility in the hardcore/deathmatch scene 

12 hours ago, Supremo said:

This is a fun hype video.

The more I think about it, the more Pac stands out as their best acquisition by a condierable margin. He'd been gone so long that I'd forgotten how great his run as Cruiserweight champion was. That promo he cut on Adam Page brought it all back. The lad's the full package. I'd make him champion and have guys like Omega and (hopefully) Ibushi chase him.

Loved that Avengers video

So with the roster taking shape, an instant sell out at MGM a certainty and this main event for show #1:

Chris-Jericho-Kenny-Omega-AEW.png

My question is, for critics and advocates alike, what does AEW need to achieve, as a minimum, over the next 6 months to convince you that they are going to be that credible alternative?

* Announce a decent TV deal for starters - I’m not expecting them to end up on USA Network or something like that, but they need to be on somewhere decent that can reach a large portion, if not all of the country. Amongst the myriad of other reasons, the lack of a strong TV deal has left Impact in the state that it is now in, and if AEW come out say “hey everyone, we’re going to be on PopTV!” then they’ll be fucked from the word go.  It doesn’t matter how good your content is if you have shit distribution for it.

* Don’t just put the championships on themselves - I’m assuming they’re going to have the usual top, secondary, tag and women’s titles. But if Kenny Omega wins the top one, Cody wins the secondary and the Bucks end as the Tag champions, then its just them booking themselves at the top of the card. That’s not to say that is what they’ll do, but if they do then it’ll leave a sour taste. I’m convinced that Cody only held the NWA World Title because he won it on a show that he was booking, just so that he could have ‘his’ moment. The fact that he dropped it back to Aldis at the next opportunity doesn’t help either, the NWA belt wasn’t elevated in the process, but at least can now say he’s a former NWA World Champion just like his dad.

I’m still on the fence about the whole venture. I’m not sure it will be for me but I don’t want to see it fail. There’s still that cynical part of me that thinks this could just end up being a Being The Elite vanity project and they’ve managed to charm a guy with a boatload of money to foot the bill. While I doubt that the Khans are putting 100% of the money in to fund AEW, they are putting in the majority (at least initially) and if it fails stand to lose a lot more than Cody and co.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I think it needs to feel like something unique, the roster to me outside of Jericho and Omega just looks like the kind of thing you can watch at an indy show in America. The TV show needs to stands out and work a something that grips you and makes you want to tune in every week. That and the presentation is what is going to be needed to set it apart if they want to have any kind of prolonged success.

Edited by Egg Shen

The TV deal is key. I hope it's TNT, but I also hope they don't try to air opposite WWE.

It's impossible to keep everyone happy with the roster, you hire ex WWE guys and you're accused of being WWE-lite, you bring in fresh faces from the indies and you're accused of not having name recognition and being too indie!

I ultimately think they need to translate the momentum from All In and Double or Nothing into weekly TV and touring schedule ASAP - no 'go slow, they need to strike whilst the iron is hot.

1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

the NWA belt wasn’t elevated in the process

I disagree to a point, the NWA belt has been next to nothing for years and years, people were at least interested/ talking about it when Cody won it. 

A TV show that maintains a consistent quality and doesn't just fall into the same traps that WWE does. I want them to deliver on being different and until they show it on a regular basis it's just all talk.