All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

1 hour ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

This reflects well on AEW though - sounds like they could have jacked up the prices but chose not to and do a solid to their fledgling fanbase. Did you want them to change their minds and charge them $300 and receive complaints that would have brought?

Not at all. I agree with you. I am just amazed people are going 'It makes AEW look low-rent charging £30 for some tickets'. Some people will complain about anything.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, MPDTT said:

The opening scene on this week's BTE is really funny!

Agree, that's amusing. I don't really get the rest though. Smoking cigars in someone's back garden and wrestling in a community centre. It doesn't say big time.

8 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Agree, that's amusing. I don't really get the rest though. Smoking cigars in someone's back garden and wrestling in a community centre. It doesn't say big time.

The cigar thing is cross promotion - Cody Rhodes and Frankie Kazarian own American Rebel Cigars.

I don't get the humour behind the recent Joey Janella skits. 

11 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Not at all. I agree with you. I am just amazed people are going 'It makes AEW look low-rent charging £30 for some tickets'. Some people will complain about anything.

My Wrestlemania XX ticket was only $75... I then went to Glasgow the following week for Braehead house show and paid more (albeit a closer seat) but the gulf in event quality is there.

4 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

It doesn't but I think Being The Elite more of a proof of concept at this point if there is a TV deal in the pipeline. It might not look big time right now but if you exchanged those locations to Las Vegas and wrestling at the MGM grand it would look a lot better. A blend of scripted reality TV and wrestling should work and is probably the best way to mask their so so roster. 

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

I don't get the humour behind the recent Joey Janella skits. 

The guy who helped Janela make a name on the scene with all those fantastic, imaginative and well made viral videos and skits got hired by WWE recently, so Janela is now going at it alone or with someone else and...well, it pains me to say it as a big Janela fan...I think he's lost a big piece of the package now. I hope Janela finds a way to make it work, as I think he has a brilliant mind for the business, but that creative force and vision isn't the same. It's like he's lost the perfect partner who he could bounce ideas off, get honest feedback from and brainstorm with.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

But Cody got what he wanted out of it, and that’s why I’m Skeptical about the whole thing. Does he want to change things, or are he and his mates just stroking their own egos

This is what I'm wondering - but also, does it matter? "Smart" fans who will parrot the received wisdom that giving creative control to wrestlers was one of WCW's biggest failings are tripping over themselves to talk about how great it is that Cody and the Bucks are running a promotion.

Ask yourself this - if the Kliq were starting up their own promotion, or any other less popular group of wrestlers, do you think people would be celebrating when they appointed themselves and all of their mates "Executive Vice Presidents", or do you think it would be seen as jobs for the boys? Lest we forget, as all of the "Cody and the Bucks aren't just doing this to put themselves over!" fans seem to have done, that the only show these guys have won saw the Young Bucks, Kenny Omega and Cody Rhodes all go over in their respective matches, and Brandi Rhodes playing a part in two matches.

When Stephanie McMahon is presented as the figurehead of WWE's women's division, they're rightly criticised and mocked for it. Is Brandi Rhodes as the head of AEW's women's division any different? 

As much as I'm far more optimistic after the last press conference than I had been previously, they're going to have to do a lot to prove to me that they actually want to "change the world" and present a real "alternative", not just try and be WWE but where they all get to play at being Vince.

Personally I think Cody and the Bucks will only put belts on themselves if it's really needed. Obviously Omega will be champ at some point but that will be warranted. I don't see Brandi making herself champ over any of the talent she's keen on either. Now if Khan wants to make any of them champions then that's his perogative but it's not going to affect my enjoyment of the product too much. They're not awful, and any of them will be elevated by the opponents on tap so far.